Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins ready to throw big money at Hall

kevincollateral

We are truly one of the dumbest FOs in the NFL if we give Hall a contract anywhere close to the one he got from the Raiders. Let alone one worth MORE.

The stupidity involved is multiplied by 100 if we then lose Rogers because of this.

Agreed. Someone posted a few weeks ago that the Vinny naysayers should make sure to let their opinion known on every move so that we can go back and see what was said. I'm going on record right now as saying that this is a mistake.

This is just another example of throwing large sums of money at a big name player from another team (I do not count 8 games last season as making him a Redskin). It's the same mistake that Danny makes over and over again... you know, the guy who is quoted numerous time on here talking about not making the same mistake over and over again... the guy who people love to claim "is learning from his mistakes."

Now add that this guy has underperformed throughout his career (except for the 8 games with us when he needed to play well in order to earn a big contract. Funny how it happened to be with the Washington Redskins that somebody would do that.) Also, the move is certainly going ot hurt morale in the lockerroom, bringing in yet another outsider that we vaue more than our own players... probably foreshadowing the end of Carlos Roger's time here.

You know, these are actual people we're dealing with here. Not just statistical attributes of SPD, AGI, TCKL, or whatever other categories they have in Madden. You actually have to treat your employees well in order to get them to perform.

Many people on this site believe that Darrell Green was as good as Deion.

everyone seemed to miss the big picture here. The main reason Darrell Green was a MUCH better corner than Deion is because of his cover skills. There has never been a better cover man in football than Darrell Green.

I'd like to see a stat on how many balls were thrown DG's way opposed to the times the ball was thrown Deion's way.

Darrell would go full games w/o having a ball thrown his way. This is why Deion had more picks.

I have no issue with throwing "big money" CB who could be year in and year out a Pro Bowl type of CB. With that being said something always has bothered my about Hall.

Was it that he kept his mouth shut when he came to D.C. simply because he wanted a new contract? Or is it that he might be maturing a little bit? I think you could argue both ways. Look the guy is 25, and is entering the prime of his career. I don't have an issue with a long term deal, but if that means that losing Rogers because of it then I don't agree with it.

This organization needs to find a way to keep these guys together. It will keep the position on lock for atleast 4 to 5 years, and we can simply build depth around them. I have a feeling if Hall is re-signed Rogers is a goner, and that's not the way I want this scenerio to play out.

There may be some truth to that. Then again, it isn't really the job of a corner to tackle people. Unless your line, linebackers and safeties whiff.

What? This must be the most retarded thing I've ever heard. Since is it not the job of any football player to tackle a member of the other team if they have the ball? Even QB's and kickers are expected to tackle, never mind an actuall defensive player.

:stupid:

I have no issue with throwing "big money" CB who could be year in and year out a Pro Bowl type of CB. With that being said something always has bothered my about Hall.

Was it that he kept his mouth shut when he came to D.C. simply because he wanted a new contract? Or is it that he might be maturing a little bit? I think you could argue both ways. Look the guy is 25, and is entering the prime of his career. I don't have an issue with a long term deal, but if that means that losing Rogers because of it then I don't agree with it.

This organization needs to find a way to keep these guys together. It will keep the position on lock for atleast 4 to 5 years, and we can simply build depth around them. I have a feeling if Hall is re-signed Rogers is a goner, and that's not the way I want this scenerio to play out.

Could not agree more. I could easily see Rogers becoming another Champ Bailey, a guy who was a 1st round pick who got tired of all of the turnover around here and became a star when he left.

Dumb, been against re-signing Hall all offseason. He played well and came here for a contract and once he gets that he will likely regress. Skins are getting played by Hall. And this comes at the expense of improving greater areas of concern to the team. When will we ever learn?

Could not agree more. I could easily see Rogers becoming another Champ Bailey, a guy who was a 1st round pick who got tired of all of the turnover around here and became a star when he left.

Champ has been to one AFC Championship during his five years in Denver. He got his name recognition because of his ability to intercept (something Rogers has trouble with doing consistently) or deflect the ball in his time here in Washington. He also, mind you, was not a bad tackler just like Rogers.

What seperates Rogers from elite status are his hands and tendency to take plays off which is why he should not be paid the kind of money Champ was. Hell, Hall should not either but it does not ridicule the FO for trying to lock up two corners at a marginal price.

Who would you like to play opposite Rogers....if not Hall?

We can draft someone, bring someone in off the street, promote one of the rookies (why did we re-sign Westbrook? Is Tryon ready?), go with Springs or Smoot, or find a serviceable FA for the season. We are not without options here. The way I see it is Hall showed Snyder he could make plays and were going to pay him big money for it but its not the right thing to do for this team. I'd be for re-signing Hall if several things were in place:

1. We had a dominate Defensive Line - We don't

2. We had a lot of cap space - We don't

3. We had a dominate Offensive Line - We don't

4. We were a number one corner away from the playoffs - We aren't

We have more important needs then Corner but we will re-sign Hall at the expense of improving greater needs of the team. I believe that corner play is important but I also believe that a dominate pass rush helps average corners play better. I don't think a Defense can be productive if they have a bad line and great corner play, like we do. If things were different I'd be for paying Hall, since they aren't I've been against this move all offseason. I believe Hall and his agent played the Skins and are banking on Snyder paying off. Great corner play won't take us to the playoffs without all of the pieces in place and you don't build a defense from the outside in.

If we give Hall a larger contract than what the Raiders gave him, that will just show how bad our FO really is.

I actually thought the Raiders got a good deal on that for Hall -- it was the trading of two draft picks that hurt. Hall is a premier CB and 25 years old. I don't have any problem giving big money to young premier CBs who want to play here. That's the kind of investment that makes sense.

We are truly one of the dumbest FOs in the NFL if we give Hall a contract anywhere close to the one he got from the Raiders. Let alone one worth MORE.

The stupidity involved is multiplied by 100 if we then lose Rogers because of this.

I take the opposite view. We have a proactive FO if we sign Hall and trade Rogers who might be very hard for us to re-sign if he's still got it in for Blache for benching him. It would be a sign that we're more like the Patriots than the Raiders. The Raiders did not overpay for Hall, but they erred in trading two draft picks for him. We picked him up for nothing and should pay him elite CB money b/c that's what he is.

This is just another example of throwing large sums of money at a big name player from another team (I do not count 8 games last season as making him a Redskin). It's the same mistake that Danny makes over and over again... you know, the guy who is quoted numerous time on here talking about not making the same mistake over and over again... the guy who people love to claim "is learning from his mistakes."

This is wrong on so many levels its tough to know where to start. First, we got Hall for NOTHING last year. He showed us what we thought he was: an elite CB in the NFL. 25 years old. That's hardly a simple matter of throwing $$$ at a big name from another team. He auditioned in a Redskin uniform and quickly became our #1 CB. Period. The End.

Second, aside from 2000, when has Snyder done this? 2005? That was Joe Gibbs and Snyder, unfortunately, let him do it. If you remove the hate blinds, you'll see that Snyder hasn't done this at all. Whether that means he's learned from his mistakes or is just doing the right thing to frustrate you personally I can't really say.

Sign Hall. Trade Rogers. Get another draft pick.

This is wrong on so many levels its tough to know where to start. First, we got Hall for NOTHING last year. He showed us what we thought he was: an elite CB in the NFL. 25 years old. That's hardly a simple matter of throwing $$$ at a big name from another team. He auditioned in a Redskin uniform and quickly became our #1 CB. Period. The End.

Does the name Darryl Gardener ring a bell. He also auditioned in a Skins uniform and showed that he was an elite player... until he got a huge contract and was never any good again. Do you wish we had thrown big money at him?

It's not "period. The End"... It will be "Period. The End." several years from now and I'm confident that this is a mistake.

Archived