Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Todd Collins trade value?

AFskinsfan

I've heard this get brought up several times on this board.

Here's my thinking. Unless he is traded to the Rams (and this is under the assumption that Al Saunders is STILL the OC there after the coaching change) then Todd Collins has absoutley 0 trade value.

First someone would have to be willing to take on his 3M cap number for a #2 QB. That team would also have to give up some type of draft value to get a 38 year old QB.

Not happening

Funny how people think he is not worth a damn in terms or trade value but yet coming off the season where he helped take this team to the playoffs he signed a 3 year 9 million dollar deal I believe it was. So if people think we could only get a bologna sandwich for him then the skins FO must have been out of there minds to sign this guy to that type of extension to be a 2nd qb.

I think Collins was a great insurance policy at that price with Saunders here, but he has yet to prove he can play in any other system besides Saunders. He was awful in pre-season, but he was pretty terrible when Saunders was here in pre-season except for one decent game.

Then somehow he stepped on the field and was absolutely awesome. Not sure if the same thing will happen with Zorn.

CPortJGibbs89-

I understand what you're saying,but I'm afraid you're missing the point. It is about trade value (what value other teams place in him) not keeping value (what his value is to the Skins).

I'll give an analogy. I have an old pair of workboots that I love. I've had 'em for years and wouldn't trade them for any new high-dollar pair of boots. That said, what would you offer me for them?

Cheers!

Digger

CPortJGibbs89-

I understand what you're saying,but I'm afraid you're missing the point. It is about trade value (what value other teams place in him) not keeping value (what his value is to the Skins).

I'll give an analogy. I have an old pair of workboots that I love. I've had 'em for years and wouldn't trade them for any new high-dollar pair of boots. That said, what would you offer me for them?

Cheers!

Digger

Yea I get what your saying. I would be curious to see if his value to the Skins is what it was when we had Saunders and he was extremely comfortable in that system. Who knows how he would perform in Zorns system. I just dont understand why we would give him that kind of extension if Snyder knew he was going to get rid of Saunders.

They gave Collins the extension after Gibbs stepped down didnt they? Had Saunders stayed I think that kind of money was well worth it to the skins for Collins. Now with Zorn here I think we should have spent some of that money on a vet WC Qb who could have helped Campbell learn the play book.

But yea I definitely see where your coming from just not sure he has that much value with the skins when Saunders is not here anymore. He is only getting older and didnt look comfortable at all in pre-season.

I heard that Collins is not a positive force on the team. For $3 million for doing nothing, and with limited practice field/locker room qualities, his trade value is $000.

Of course, if we trade Jason Campbell, his value in all regards will probably go up.

What do you mean "not a positive force on the team"? And he's a backup QB, he's not supposed to do anything. And are you suggesting we try to trade JC? You're not making much sense...

I heard that Collins is not a positive force on the team. For $3 million for doing nothing, and with limited practice field/locker room qualities, his trade value is $000.

Of course, if we trade Jason Campbell, his value in all regards will probably go up.

Tough to stay positive when your better than the guy starting in front of you.

Trade JC? Now your talking my kind of language! I bet we could get a whole bag of bologna for JC.

Trade value on a 37 year old career back-up QB that's started THREE games in the last 11 season's, and played a minimal part in little more than that?

If we could get a 6th or 7th rounder, I'd be ecstatic. But as this is reality and not Madden, the answer is more than likely NO.

The close-season "silly season" is up and running on ES. :doh:

Hail.

I'm confused here, mainly because this last season proved that around the league, there is very little certainty at the QB position. Kurt Warner, a fellow 37 year old QB, led his team to the super bowl, playing in a familiar system, but not the same one he initially had success in.

Granted, you're not going to scalp a team with a trade involving collins, but I could definitely see a team in need (the vikings, 49ers, panthers, rams) giving up a 3rd rounder for a seasoned QB who could step in immediately and give you a stable presence at a very important position.

I just don't understand why everyone is acting like the guy is a bum? He did nothing but manage games here when he was asked to and he did it well. It's not out of the realm of possibility to imagine a team taking a chance like this, but to here some of you guys talk, he's a charity case and we're just keeping him around to be nice to him or something.

Granted, you're not going to scalp a team with a trade involving collins, but I could definitely see a team in need (the vikings, 49ers, panthers, rams) giving up a 3rd rounder for a seasoned QB who could step in immediately and give you a stable presence at a very important position. quote]

Your talking about a career back up who will be 38 next year and who has started what, 5 games in the last 6 or 7 seasons? He played well but only in a system he had been in for years - he looked less than stellar last preseason and Camp reports were variable as well.

If you can find someone that will give a 3rd round pick for him can you let me know his name? I have some real estate on Mars for sale .......

He has zero trade value at this point of his career. Thats not to say he is worthless, if we cut him someone would almost certainly pick him up as serviceable back up. But trade for him? No way.

Archived