Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

My Take So Far: Redskins Please Prove Me Wrong

bulldog

Who is going to pay a 35 year old guard who has to sit out one day a week a starter level salary? No matter where he goes, he's probably going to at least start off as the backup.

That wasn't my question. My question was where has Kendal said he is willing to be a backup and as such, paid as one?

You guys can talk till you're blue in the face over the O-line, Pete Kendall, Jon Jansen, the kicking game, and the defense. PUT A QUARTERBACK ON THE FIELD THAT HAS THE ABILITY TO PUT TD'S ON THE SCOREBOARD, AND THE REST WILL FALL INTO PLACE! And don't hand me all the BS about the O-line and having to learn a new offense. How bout stop living in denial? There are QBs out there with the same talent on their O-lines, but somehow they manage to SEE OPEN RECEIVERS, and somehow they manage to MAKE PLAYS by accurately hitting those WRs in stride! An 8-8 team can then become an 11-5 team!

That wasn't my question. My question was where has Kendal said he is willing to be a backup and as such, paid as one?

He can want that all he wants, but the likelihood of him getting paid to be a starter is slim to none. Todd Wade was in a similar position and he sat on the open market for over a month before reupping with us.

I disagree about Dallas

Wade's history, his teams get worse each season

The team is a mess, and fractured as the come... and if TO stays it will only get worse

The league is catching up Garrett, and learning how to corral Romo sits to pee, take away his easy open target, he get flustered and will force the ball.

Marion the Librarian isn't all he's cracked up to be, and the OL is vastly overrated.

There defense front is great but their secondary is a far from scary.

don't be shocked if the Pokes slip to 4th and 500 or below.

The Skins will go as far as the OL takes them. Hopefully we can get some youth to bolster it. If at least 1 of the 3 second rounders need to step up and start making plays.

I agree and I'm shocked nobody said this sooner. Dallas has a TON of problems right now. Remember when we had a bunch of talent, signing all the big FAs, then finding out looking good on paper really doesn't mean anything. This team has to prove they can pull it together, and judging by the way they blew things at the end of the season they are far from being able to do that.

The thing I agree with the most in this post is the o-line being overrated. For those who watched the Pro Bowl, Flozell Adams got OWNED several times during that game. I know it's only the Pro Bowl, and things are different, but one on one is one on one. There should never be any sacks in the Pro Bowl, period, nevermind sack/fumbles.

I think there's a lot to consider before we "crown" the Cowboys.

Other than that, I do agree with a lot of what the OP said. HAIL!

Its easy to agree with Bulldog ... but he does not go far enough ... the Skins have also chronically devalued other positions primarily QB, WR, OLB and KR ... rationalizing that the incumbents are "adequate enough." Until these positions rae manned by NFL-calber players capable of "production" the Skins will remain boring also-rans.
How have the Skins devalued QB, WR and OLB when they have spend a lot in money and draft picks on all of those positions?

The disconnect here is obviously not how much you put into the move, but what you DO with the move. We've invested cap space and picks in guys who just didn't pan out for us.

The disconnect here is obviously not how much you put into the move, but what you DO with the move. We've invested cap space and picks in guys who just didn't pan out for us.

"Devaluing" to me is saying that the team wasn't willing to invest what it took in those positions. History says otherwise, even if it wasn't always successful.

One could make that argument for the DL, where we haven't invested a 1st day pick in years and that our line has been mostly castoffs from other teams, but you can't say that about the QB, WR or OLB positions.

You guys can talk till you're blue in the face over the O-line, Pete Kendall, Jon Jansen, the kicking game, and the defense. PUT A QUARTERBACK ON THE FIELD THAT HAS THE ABILITY TO PUT TD'S ON THE SCOREBOARD, AND THE REST WILL FALL INTO PLACE! And don't hand me all the BS about the O-line and having to learn a new offense. How bout stop living in denial? There are QBs out there with the same talent on their O-lines, but somehow they manage to SEE OPEN RECEIVERS, and somehow they manage to MAKE PLAYS by accurately hitting those WRs in stride! An 8-8 team can then become an 11-5 team!

Where do you propose the team gets one of these "winners at QB" from? I forgot, free agency is littered with game changing winners at the position and we need only to snap one up. We've just been wasting our time piddling around with JC when we know he'll never be a good QB, but we don't like winning so we stuck with him for the past two seasons.

They don't grow on trees guy. You have to draft them and develop them. Maybe a Drew Brees becomes available once in a blue moon, but for 31 of the other 32 teams, they have to draft and groom them before they know they will be any good.

That is what the team is trying to do with Campbell. That's why we hired Zorn and drafted him some receivers last year. Be patient and wait for the process to finish. Rome and Brady/Manning weren't built in a day.

And before you bring up Kurt Warner, remember for how many years he sucked when he wasn't throwing it to the best WR's in the league, and remember the fact that he is 38 and will probably retire long before he ever leads the Cardinals to winning a championship, leaving their team to start over at the position like everyone else.

But more than anything the talk of retaining these players (and some talk also about trying to get Taylor to restructure to stay in 2009), to me is an indication that some in the front office still don't get that this is a team that needs to be re-built or seriously re-tooled not merely tinkered with to improve.

Good post Bulldog... this line is the only issue I had (and its sort of nitpicky, so forgive me). You went on to mention that a good place kicker would have put us around 10-6. Despite some other evidence to the contrary (O-line, OLB, scheme issues to name a few), 10-6 doesn't really sound like a rebuilding/retooling year.

I agree with Oldfan that although we're even older this year, the added experience in this offensive scheme should/could strengthen this team. Add in a kicker (the difference between a decent team and a good team per following your logic) and we're in contention (relatively, I don't at all pretend that we're an elite team in any facet). I think this is backed up by the fact that we did beat the eagles twice, possibly should have beaten the ravens, beat the cardinals, and were a lineman or two (or better playcalling) from contending with the steelers.

Personally, the issues at OLB, D-line, special teams and offense scare me - much like last year I could see anywhere from 6-10 to 10-6.

Archived