Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Does the Whisenhunt and Grimm connection affect who you root for?

Burgold

I can't root against Grimm. The guy was a Hog when the name meant everything. He'll always be a Redskin to me. Whisenhunt I have much less attachment too, but I kind of like the way he speaks about his Redskin days. Still, in the end... I don't want the Cardinals to win a Superbowl. It just feels too wrong. It's like snow in Hell, pigs with wings, Dallas being called America's Team.

On the other hand, I like them. I like their Redskin roots. I like what they've done with their team and that they sat their 1 round qb and the money. It's just if the Cardinals win a Superbowl... I mean how is that even possible? That would be like the Saints winning a Superbowl! The Cubs winning the World Series! The Eagles winning a Superbowl! There are just certain things decreed never to happen.

My rooting interest in this game is more of hoping Pittsburgh gets defeated more than the Cards win. I don't really have anything against the Steelers....certainly they have a strong operation there. I look at them sort of like I looked at the Dolphins all those years under Shula......a team that was always at the top that you hoped would get knocked off by the underdog.

As for a Cards win meaning the world is about to go topsy-turvy....don't sweat it. Now if the LIONS ever make it to a SB, you should be very afraid.

I can't root against Grimm. The guy was a Hog when the name meant everything. He'll always be a Redskin to me. Whisenhunt I have much less attachment too, but I kind of like the way he speaks about his Redskin days. Still, in the end... I don't want the Cardinals to win a Superbowl. It just feels too wrong. It's like snow in Hell, pigs with wings, Dallas being called America's Team.

On the other hand, I like them. I like their Redskin roots. I like what they've done with their team and that they sat their 1 round qb and the money. It's just if the Cardinals win a Superbowl... I mean how is that even possible? That would be like the Saints winning a Superbowl! The Cubs winning the World Series! The Eagles winning a Superbowl! There are just certain things decreed never to happen.

Uh, I think the Cubs have won a WS before, man. 1908, I think.

I really don't understand all the talk of Whisenhunt as a Redskin. I guess the local media wants to have some sort of local connection to the Super Bowl, no matter how thin the thread. Whisenhunt was cut after training camp, and was re-signed for two games at the end of the season (so in his playing career, 2.7% of games played was spent as a Redskin). Does that make him a Redskin? Logically, yes; emotionally, no. Would I root for whatever team Shaun Alexander was on if they wound up in the Super Bowl next year? Heck, at least Alexander produced 33 yards as a Redskin (so he was a Redskin for twice as many games and produced 33 yards more than Whisenhunt).

whats the point of this thread? Why would you root against Arizona anyway, it's a great story, it would be wonderful if their long suffering fans (admittedly these are probably few) got to see them win it all, and especially when everyone wrote them off in the playoffs. They're playing great, Warner is a great story and Fitz is awesome. On the other hand, if Pittsburgh wins, they are a great team and organisation, and it wouldn't be so bad if they won. I'll watch the game, hope it's close, maybe root for the underdog, I couldn't give a monkeys if Grimm/Wisenhunt are/were connected to the Redskins. Except maybe I'll switch to supporting the Cardinals until Snyder sods off and leaves the team to someone who knows what they're doing. If anything, Arizona winning it all will just make it more of a joke that it's been almost 20 years since the Redskins realistically contended. Unbelievable. Go Cardinals! (or Steelers)

I'm rooting for the Cardinals because the Steelers have won 5 Super Bowls and the Cardinals haven't won any. It is only an added benefit that Whisenhunt and Grimm are coaching the Cardinals.

Ditto. :cheers:

I'd love Russ to win another, (sorry Ryan, I loved your attitude man, but Grimm's a Hog, a living legend, and of my generation), but it starts and ends with the above.

Pittsburgh going 3 clear of us is NOT something I want to hear from them or anyone else come to that when SB's are put on the table.

GO CARDS!

Hail.

Why would you root against a much deserved franchise's first ring???? That is insane 2 me. It is like tripping a baby up while he is trying to take his first steps because you are used to seeing him crawl.

I always root for the underdog. I rooted for the Celtics last year because KG, Pierce, Allen, and Doc Rivers deserved it.

So I will root for the Cardinals because

Edgerrin James deserves it

Larry Fitzgerald deserves it

Anquan Boldin deserves it

KURT WARNER deserves it

Whisenhunt deserves it

Russ Grimm deserves it

Breaston deserves it

Dockery deserves it

& everyone else on this squad deserves it

If Skins were in this position, I bet everyone else would be saying that it did not feel right so I will root for the Cardinals until my throat is sore like I have been doing for the enitre post season.

I will not root for the steelers because they will proabably be back any year from now.

When it's longer than a century it's like it never happened. The Cards have won a championship before too... they've just been in the dumps forever.

Yeah, the Cards have. But you were talking SB's earlier. Btw, the Yanks won alot of titles a long time ago, also. Try telling a Yank fan that some of their 26 titles don't count.

1. Steeler Fans are obnoxious

2. Steelers already have 5 championships

3. Redskins have 5 world championships

4. Steeler fans would be even more obnoxious if they won a 6th

5. Cardinals are the oldest team 1898-

6. Cardinals franchise have only one world title (1947) Fans are too far away and too few to be obnoxious and they don't take over your stadium with towel waving smucks.

7. Cards have Russ Grimm

8. Cards have Larry Fitz who is the prototype of the #1 wide receiver that we need to hire or draft.

9. Cards wear maroon jerseys sort of like the redskins.

Some people just enjoy playing Russian Roulette with the fabric of the universe, I guess. When the great white hankerchief descends don't say I didn't warn you.

That's a Hitchhiker's Guide to the Universe reference to all you unilluminated heathens

Geez...I guess people just love an underdog.

I'm with Burgold; I'm rooting for the Steelers because I believe that only truly great teams should win Super Bowls. The Cardinals have surely had a great run in the playoffs this year, but I still can't consider them a "great team." Remember, this is a squad that went 9-7 in the regular season and basically backed into the playoffs due to the fact that the typically dominant team in their division over the last half-decade or so (the Seahawks) had a freakishly bad year in terms of injuries and on-the-field breaks. Cardinals-rooters, ask yourself this: how good would, say, the Redskins' record have been this past season if they'd have played SIX GAMES against the likes of the 49ers, Rams, and Seahawks?!

Hopefully without belaboring the point too much, I'll repeat myself: the Cardinals went 9-7 in the regular season. Some years--nay, most years--teams with that record don't even qualify for the post-season. Look at the Patriots this past season: they went 11-5 and didn't even make the playoffs. Beyond that, there were 4 other teams to have gone 9-7 and miss the playoffs this season: the Jets, the Bears, the Cowboys, and the Buccaneers.

Point is, this year's Cardinals--while a swell story--are a product of playing in the weakest division in football and being part of the vastly weaker conference in the NFL. Nothing against 'em--I'm sure they have a shot to win tomorrow if their offense can hit its stride; and there are a ton of great guys on that team... But when it comes to championships, I want the actually "great" team to win.:2cents:

Geez...I guess people just love an underdog.

Hopefully without belaboring the point too much, I'll repeat myself: the Cardinals went 9-7 in the regular season.

Point is, this year's Cardinals--while a swell story--are a product of playing in the weakest division in football and being part of the vastly weaker conference in the NFL.

Exactly. I cannot root for a team to win the SB with only nine wins, especially when six of them were in their own terribly stinky division.

Archived