Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

pft: RIGGINS: PORTIS A “HEADACHE”

twenty-eight

And was gone the next. Next question.... How many times did we beat Dallas while Davis was our back?

How many superbowls has Portis lead us to?

How many times has Portis lead the league in rushing here?

Can't you just admit you were wrong. Davis got a big long term contract and he was also smart enough to get out of DC before it was too late. They tried to re-do his contract in the usual Synder way and he refused... He was the one that was smart not the FO.

What was the state of the team just before Portis was on the roster?

The same as it is now.

Who's been the only consistently productive offensive weapon?

That's saying a lot. :rolleyes:

It's like picking a hot chick out of a North Korean prison camp. There ain't much there buddy.

This is like trying to blame Caron Butler for the Wizards losing season.

You catch on quick. If the Wizards can go 9-35 with Butler as their top star, they can do just as bad without him. At least Butler has a bit of an excuse since two starters are essentially out for the season. Mind you I don't think it'd make much difference.

How are you going to blame the success of a team with 22 starters on the one most consistent producer? And consider that his QBs have been old as dirt Brunell and Collins (who was terrible in that playoff loss) and an inexperienced Jason Campbell.

I'm not blaming him for everything. The team hasn't been great, all the more baffling that management has spent more and more money on him as other parts of the team need to be upgraded.

The guy has been a decent player, but he acts like he's at the top of his profession. He ain't. He's not even close. He knows he's untouchable because of his contract and the fact that the owner wants to give him a sponge bath after every game (can I say that without getting a timeout?). Because of that, he can pop off and be a pain in the butt whenever he wants.

How many superbowls has Portis lead us to?

How many times has Portis lead the league in rushing here?

Can't you just admit you were wrong. Davis got a big long term contract and he was also smart enough to get out of DC before it was too late. They tried to re-do his contract in the usual Synder way and he refused... He was the one that was smart not the FO.

You really need to read more before opening your mouth. I cant STAND Portis. He's a moron who is more trouble than he is worth.

As for Davis. The bottom line is he wanted money that he was not worth. That was my point. From a money standpoint Davis got what he wanted. But he damn sure was not worth that much money to us. He had one good year behind a good Carolina line and he was gone because he was all out of gas. Which is why from a football standpoint, it was a smart move.

Portis and Davis are very similar backs. Both, in their prime could get you a lot of yards off a lot of carries. They are both workhorses without breakaway speed or moves. Both were overpaid. Neither one scares apposing defenses.

I have to wonder if Portis is one of those players that doesn't care about the postseason. His stats sure go along with that.

BINGO!

imagine portis behind the hogs...

and for those downplaying his year...so his 800+ yards in his first 8 games was due to what? great O line play? i think not.

This cracks me up. Betts does well, and it's the line. Portis does well, and Portis is a beast.

No people are calling him out because he calls out his oline, his coaches and teammates in public. He is immature on and off the field. He has not grown into a veteran leader. He is the team clown..... Oh and in the big games he disappears........

Where are these big games he's disappearing in? If you want to talk about the playoffs, I seem to remember that there are three playoff games we've had since he's been here. The first game we won in '05 against the Bucs despite an abysmal performance by Brunell. Next we lost to Seattle because Hasselback carved up our defense despite losing Shaun Alexander. Then last season, we should've beat Seattle, but blew it in a game that featured a lot of Collins picks. So how is it that Portis has cost us big games?

I've seen him carve up every team in the division at one point or another. This season he was an MVP candidate until the OL started falling apart. So what is the evidence that he is costing us these "BIG GAMES"?

You really need to read more before opening your mouth. I cant STAND Portis. He's a moron who is more trouble than he is worth.

As for Davis. The bottom line is he wanted money that he was not worth. That was my point. From a money standpoint Davis got what he wanted. But he damn sure was not worth that much money to us. He had one good year behind a good Carolina line and he was gone because he was all out of gas. Which is why from a football standpoint, it was a smart move.

Portis and Davis are very similar backs. Both, in their prime could get you a lot of yards off a lot of carries. They are both workhorses without breakaway speed or moves. Both were overpaid. Neither one scares apposing defenses.

Your still wrong. He did not "want" money he did not deserve he was "owed" money you do not think he was worth. Didn't he lead the league in rushing the year after we let him go??????

:doh:

Where are these big games he's disappearing in? If you want to talk about the playoffs, I seem to remember that there are three playoff games we've had since he's been here. The first game we won in '05 against the Bucs despite an abysmal performance by Brunell. Next we lost to Seattle because Hasselback carved up our defense despite losing Shaun Alexander. Then last season, we should've beat Seattle, but blew it in a game that featured a lot of Collins picks. So how is it that Portis has cost us big games?

I've seen him carve up every team in the division at one point or another. This season he was an MVP candidate until the OL started falling apart. So what is the evidence that he is costing us these "BIG GAMES"?

2007 Seahawks he ran for 57 yards on 20 carries no TDs.

2006 Tampa he ran for 53 on 16 carries 1 TD

2006 Seahawks he ran for 41 on 17 carries 0 TDs.

2003 Indy he ran for 68 yards in 17 carries 0 TDs

I would call those the biggest games he has played in. Looks like HOF numbers to me. :doh:

Point blank, Portis should have stayed in Denver, he'd probably own some NFL records by now and be on pace to the All-Time rushing record have plenty of TD's and probably helped them to more playoff wins than Champ Bailey has. Instead he asked for a trade due to being under compensated and ended up with a horribly mismanaged franchise. A Gun-Shy HOF coach who couldn't muster up a passing game to save his life. Then an air headed dunce, who can't muster up a passing game if his life depended on it, who can't make half time adjustments or realize that Mike Sellers is a choke artist on the goaline.

Tell me what big games have the Skins played in? Are you guys speaking of those 2 losses to Seattle and 1 win at Tampa Bay with two incompetent QB's who couldn't get the 8-man fronts off of Portis' back? The fact that if not for Portis dragging the Skins into the playoffs on his back, we would not have even sniffed the playoffs the past 5 years.

And what is this B.S. about him not being a home run hitter? He sure could take em' all the way in Denver, but he was ruined by Gibbs, bulking up for that horrible offense, and then getting pounded every year with 300+ carries can end your career, much less your 'breakaway speed'. Most backs who go over the 340-350 carry threshold fall off significantly, or are out of the league, but guess what, Portis hasn't. Was Emmitt Smith really a home run hitter, no but he had a few 40-50 yard runs because he had one of the best lines in NFL history. You see, when you don't have to fight linemen, and linebackers on every play, you can get to the second level and have those big runs.

Zorn set the president for taking criticism to the media, so when Portis is critical in a media setting is the villain.

I would love to see him go somewhere else, where he would inevitably win the starting job, kick *****, and the the Redskins organization would have pie in their face all over again. Then the Redskins faithful would dream of the day they could find another runner with all of Portis' attributes. A RB who has speed, quickness, vision, moves, blocking ability, durability, grit, home run ability, a nose for the goaline and the ability to play when hurt and injured.

As far as Riggins goes, he does have an axe to grind, for what reason I don't know. He should still be on his knees thanking his God for the HOGS and the HOF voters for voting him in without having a HOF career.

Point blank, Portis should have stayed in Denver, he'd probably own some NFL records by now and be on pace to the All-Time rushing record have plenty of TD's and probably helped them to more playoff wins than Champ Bailey has.

You see, this is the point that a lot of us are making. With a spectacular offensive line, most backs who are average or slightly above average will compile some pretty good stats. Exhibit A is Priest Holmes, who prior to playing behind an A+ offensive line was on his way to a dead-end career.

This is why with the right combination of a good scheme and investing heavily in the trenches, WE could draft a slightly above average back who could have a ton of scoring opportunities. Instead, we did it ass backwards and gave Denver the shirt off of our back for a player who essentially benefitted from playing in a spectacular system.

Tell me what big games have the Skins played in? Are you guys speaking of those 2 losses to Seattle and 1 win at Tampa Bay with two incompetent QB's who couldn't get the 8-man fronts off of Portis' back? The fact that if not for Portis dragging the Skins into the playoffs on his back, we would not have even sniffed the playoffs the past 5 years.

I agree with you on this point, those playoff losses do not fall entirely on Portis' shoulders. He did what you can expect from any average/slightly above average NFL back, which is what he is. I think that people also need to realize that our receiving corps had been very mediocre in all three of those games. Also, I'll add that our defense has never been able to score on its own, or to provide the offense with many short field opportunities. If you want to win on the road in the playoffs, it would help IMMENSELY if your defense were able to step it up and score or create scoring opportunities.

2007 Seahawks he ran for 57 yards on 20 carries no TDs.

2006 Tampa he ran for 53 on 16 carries 1 TD

2006 Seahawks he ran for 41 on 17 carries 0 TDs.

2003 Indy he ran for 68 yards in 17 carries 0 TDs

I would call those the biggest games he has played in. Looks like HOF numbers to me. :doh:

2007 Seahawks....No Oline whatsoever...see Collins vs. Kerney/Peterson

2006 Seahawks...a great defense and we just came off the worst offensive performance for a playoff win...again no passing game

2006 Tampa...see above...

2003 Indy....he was with Denver...YOU explain that...

And what is this B.S. about him not being a home run hitter? He sure could take em' all the way in Denver, but he was ruined by Gibbs, bulking up for that horrible offense, and then getting pounded every year with 300+ carries can end your career,

I really couldn't understand this trade at the time and thought Gibbs was going to install a more modern offense. If his plan was to just ball control like the early 80's Skins he should have gone for Dillon. That would have cost us next to nothing and he still had a few years left.

I'm of the 'Riggins is a headache' crowd.

I guess the guy who mentioned the age thing was right. The younger fans think it's cool when a RB feels the need to share his opinion on keeping the head coach around. The rest of us wonder why it's even asked of the teams RB, or why the RB would think his opinion even mattered in the situation.

I guess the guy who mentioned the age thing was right. The younger fans think it's cool when a RB feels the need to share his opinion on keeping the head coach around. The rest of us wonder why it's even asked of the teams RB, or why the RB would think his opinion even mattered in the situation.

Says who? Don't bring the age factor in any of this. You have no valid argument in any of your posts except bringing up age? Riggins is a piece of garbage that can't admit his record is about to be broken. He is so full of himself it's clearly ridiculous. As for Portis, he should just shut his mouth and play ball. Would love to see a 1 game suspension for his actions. So, now are you going to comment about my age?

All Portis has to do is win a super bowl, and Riggins will shut up. If Portis wants to be the best, he's got to at least match the best, and right now he's a ring short of Riggo.

I'll side with the guy with the ring.

Well, if football was an individual sport like Track and Field, the your point will be valid. However, it is a team sport played by 22 individuals on both sides of the ball. When Portis is able to run behind several Hall of Famers on the offensive line, then we can do a comparison, but he is more productive in a league with better run defenses with an O-line where no one will sniff the hall of fame.

As a running back, he couldn't carry Portis' jock. Riggins shouldn't even be in the hall of fame, he made it there because of NFL Films and his SuperBowl TD, much like Lynn Swann and his 'Catch' in the Superbowl.

Well, if football was an individual sport like Track and Field, the your point will be valid. However, it is a team sport played by 22 individuals on both sides of the ball. When Portis is able to run behind several Hall of Famers on the offensive line, then we can do a comparison, but he is more productive in a league with better run defenses with an O-line where no one will sniff the hall of fame.

As a running back, he couldn't carry Portis' jock. Riggins shouldn't even be in the hall of fame, he made it there because of NFL Films and his SuperBowl TD, much like Lynn Swann and his 'Catch' in the Superbowl.[/quote]

This post could be taken seriously, if you were actually old enough to remember watching him play.

Because you aren't, it is as absurd as someone my age giving an opinion on Sammy Baugh.

And....there are two huge differences between Riggins and Portis:

1. 4th quarter, we have the lead. With Riggins, we win the game. No question about it. With Portis....we lose most of the games. Tons of 3 and outs.

2. Riggins owned the playoffs. Portis has yet to even appear in one.

Riggo keeps bringing it up because it is a big deal.

The HC needs to have the authority and the support of the owner and GM to maintain control of the team.

Synder and Vinnie tacitly allow Portis to undermine Zorn whenever he feels like it.

Zorn seems like a good coach and Portis is a good player, but Portis childish antics makes Zorn's already difficult job much harder.

Could not have said it any better myself. It's too bad, but it's true.

I think the reason why Riggens keeps bringing it up is because he wants to endorse some kind of change in philosphy for the Redskins which is not a bad idea. It all comes back to ****ty management.

Archived