Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

**UPDATED** MOCK 2.0 (updated in first post)Mock Draft 1.0 by R. Johnson

twenty-eight

Since were talking about the draft in this thread I figured I'd throw the name Antonio Appleby, ILB at UVA, out there. Apparently he's looked good at the first practice for the Texas vs The Nation game. Competition seems significantly weaker then the Shrine or Senior Bowl games but I was curious if any UVA fans thought he'd be a good pick up in round 5 or 6?????

Again, we have NO idea what anyone is going to draft until free agency starts to compile itself. There is some fun in guessing now, based on the rosters at the moment, with absolutely no changes to them by the draft, but really all this mock drafting stuff is is fun at this point.

If I'm dissecting a mock draft for what we have RIGHT now, I like Maybin. Not for us, but I like him. For us, you have to assume that Marcus Washington is still here, because, like I stated, there are no roster changes to this point. So what position do we need to upgrade most?

I'd accept DT as an answer, but that's not the most pressing need.

Tackle and Guard are major needs.

Next question is, who is the best prospect that will be available to us at 13?

That I have no idea of. I'd like to see Oher. Loadholt if we go with a different position in round 1 if he's available at our second pick.

• 3 weeks later...

1 Detroit - Matt Stafford (QB) Rebuilding....and they have some playmakers to help ( Johnson, Smith)

2 St. Louis - Eugene Monroe (OT) They need a heir apparent to Pace

3 Kansas City - Aaron Curry (OLB) Pioli knows what a top 10 LB can do to help ( See Mayo, Pats)

4 Seattle - Michael Crabtree (WR) Top 5 talent and great fit for WCO..Seahawks NEED a WR badly

5 Cleveland - Everette Brown (DE/OLB) Quick off the line, instant upgrade across from Wimbley, McGinest is old

6 Cincinnati - Jason Smith (OT) They need to protect their most valued asset...Carson Palmer, Smith is a great pass pro LT in the making

7 Oakland - Andre Smith (OT) Big phsyical OT that could move to OG as well...Raiders like to run and Smith can help

8 Jacksonville - Malcolm Jenkins (CB) Mathis needs help across from him and Florence is better suited for nickelback...pass happy division

9 Green Bay - Brian Orakpo (DE) Someone needs to help Kampman out and Orakpo is as good of a pass rusher in this draft as anyone

10 San Fran - B.J. Raji (DT) 3-4 defense needs a dominant NT ( See Wiliams, Hampton, Wilfork) Franklin is on his last year

11 Buffalo - Aaron Maybin (DE/OLB) Could go TE, but Pettigrew is a reach....Maybin can play OLB or DE and is super fast...pass rush is a big need

12 Denver - Rey Maualuga (ILB) Defense, Defense, Defense...anywhere on the D would help, but they can build around Maualuga

13 Washington - Brian Cushing (OLB) fills the future void of Marcus Washington/ adds pass rush

14 New Orleans - Brandon Pettigrew (TE) Shockey experiment isnt working out....and Brees loves a good TE, could look at CB as well

15 Houston - Jeremy Maclin (WR) Value Pick... would compliment Andre Johnson, and can help on special teams (KR/PR)

16 San Diego - Knowshon Moreno (RB) Rumors of LT gone ( Stupid) and Sproles isnt an every down back, Moreno can fill some of the void

17 New York (J) - Mark Sanchez (QB) I know Ross, I know...it makes sense though, unless you think Clemens/FA can do it

18 Chicago - Larry English (DE/OLB) They could use playmakers on offense, but the D isnt doing much better either...

19 Tampa Bay - Percy Harvin (WR) Galloway is on the wrong side of 50 and Clayton isnt all that...Harvin is a great pick here and can slide into RB in some packages

20 Detroit(from Dallas) - Michael Oher (OT) Character concerns have him slip....Detroit needs to protect their new young Qb and Cherilus is staying on the right

21 Philly - Beanie Wells (RB) the new "Thunder/Lightning" combo backfield is taking over the NFL, plus Mr. "Questionable" is almost 30 now

22 Minnesota - Vontae Davis (CB) Slides due to character concerns as well...but this guy is a top 10 talent. Winfield isnt exactly young anymore..QB could be possible as well

23 New England - James Laurinitis (ILB) Laurinitis was born to play for the Pats...doesn't have a lot of upside but is smart versatile undersized LB that doesnt make mistakes

24 Atlanta - Peria Jerry (DT) They need inside help and Jerry is a great fit here....solid run stopper, but is fast for his size and can add pass rush up the middle

25 Miami - D.J. Moore (CB) could be your #1 Noah, could see them going for OLB to add pass rush across from Porter as well

26 Baltimore - Darrius Heyward-Bey (WR) Mason is old, Clayton might leave next year, and this kid is from the area...big fast WR that could be Flacco's new favorite target

27 Indianapolis - Alphonso Smith (CB) a bit undersized, but if he was taller would be a top 10 pick....great speed and ballhawking skills

28 Philly(from Carolina) - Eben Britton (OT) Philly could lose both starting OTs....somewhat of a reach, but Reid loves to take lineman in the 1st round

29 New York (G) - Clay Matthews (OLB) G-men need a strong side LB

30 Tennessee - Michael Johnson (DE) freak of a player at 6'7 260...could learn from another "freak" and help add pass rush...both Kearse and Vandenbosch are 30+

31 Arizona - Alex Mack (OC) instant upgrade at center...cardinals need OL help if they are going to run successfully as well as pass

32 Pittsburgh - Max Unger (OL) Jack of all trade OL for a team losing a big chunk of their OL...projects as a OG in my opinion, but could play OC or OT as well

well thats it.....questions/comments/concerns....would love to hear feedback

This is the first scenario where every player I like at 13 is gone. I hope it doesn't go like that but if it does I understand Cushing. I'd rather see a trade down.

Due to team needs I think Peria goes earlier than 24.

Many of the mock's haven't shown Mack in the first round. I agree he goes and is a steel at the end of the first.

Twenty-Eight, I think Crabtree goes to KC because Seattle has Mora now and him being a defensive coach,I think gets Curry from Wake. Supposedly,Houshmanzdah wants to go to a West Coast team and I think Seattle grabs him, therefore sets up the Curry pick.

I tend to doubt Pioli's gonna build around WRs. And KC picks before Seatlle, so what they want is pretty irrelevant to what KC does.

That seems like a decent mock, actually. If anything, I'm still skeptical Sanchez falls that far.

For the record, Jax already released Florence, btw.

I would think we go for Oher over Cushing. Much better value at the 13th pick.

I agree with both of you.

I'm really curious to see where Raji, Sanchez and Oher go....

Meh, not sure if I like the Cushing pick. He is good but has a long list of injuries and the whole thing of taking a bunch of supplements worries me because some of them that are ok in college ball might not be in the NFL. Too many question marks. I'd take Oher over him. One thing I'm curious about is how Peria Jerry's stock will be after the combine and workouts. He might end up being a viable value at 13. I'd definitely take him over Cushing. He is a great penetrating 3 technique DT that we could really use.

If no OTs available, trade down.

Draft Tyson Jackson.

Thank me later.

Tyson Jackson is basically Phillip Daniels part 2. Not going to get many sacks out of him. I think he would fit very well as a 3-4 DE because of his size and since he is stout at the point of attack, but won't be asked to do a whole lot of pass rushing. I suppose he could be moved to DT sometimes in a 4-3, but I'm not sure how much experience has with that. If we wanted that I'd rather go with a guy like Jerry (if Raji isn't available).

Tyson Jackson is basically Phillip Daniels part 2. Not going to get many sacks out of him. I think he would fit very well as a 3-4 DE because of his size and since he is stout at the point of attack, but won't be asked to do a whole lot of pass rushing. I suppose he could be moved to DT sometimes in a 4-3, but I'm not sure how much experience has with that. If we wanted that I'd rather go with a guy like Jerry (if Raji isn't available).

Thing is, with him we could move Jason Taylor to take Washington's spot (he has some experience at linebacker so he'll probably be able to adjust). The good thing about that is it gives us a linebacker who can blitz and a defensive end big enough to bullrush tackles. No, Jackson may not get very many sacks but you normally don't expect a RE to. He's not going to run around tackles, but he would, however, be able to push the RT back into the pocket and create opportunities for Carter. You have to remember that Carter was much more successful with Daniels bullrushing opposite of him than he was with Taylor speed rushing. And that was pretty much the only difference in our d last year and the year before (not that we were great at getting sacks 2 years ago either).

Jackson is pretty athletic for his size and he gives us the perfect opportunity to move inside and go Carter-Griffin-Jackson-Taylor on passing downs. That would be nifty too. What I would love to see happen, though perhaps it is not very likely, is to trade down and get Jackson this year to play RE, and then pick up Carlos Dunlap next year to play LE. Our line would pretty much become immoveable (freeing up our linebackers) but also have enough speed to rush the passer.

Thing is, with him we could move Jason Taylor to take Washington's spot (he has some experience at linebacker so he'll probably be able to adjust). The good thing about that is it gives us a linebacker who can blitz and a defensive end big enough to bullrush tackles. No, Jackson may not get very many sacks but you normally don't expect a RE to. He's not going to run around tackles, but he would, however, be able to push the RT back into the pocket and create opportunities for Carter. You have to remember that Carter was much more successful with Daniels bullrushing opposite of him than he was with Taylor speed rushing. And that was pretty much the only difference in our d last year and the year before (not that we were great at getting sacks 2 years ago either).

Jackson is pretty athletic for his size and he gives us the perfect opportunity to move inside and go Carter-Griffin-Jackson-Taylor on passing downs. That would be nifty too. What I would love to see happen, though perhaps it is not very likely, is to trade down and get Jackson this year to play RE, and then pick up Carlos Dunlap next year to play LE. Our line would pretty much become immoveable (freeing up our linebackers) but also have enough speed to rush the passer.

You make good points. We'll see. I don't have any doubt that he can play DE in a 4-3, just that he might be best fit in that role in a 3-4. If he could move inside sometimes and play DT well (he'd need to learn to change some of his technique) that would be a great scenario. As far as Carlos Dunlap is concerned...that guy is a freakin monster. If he has another standout year next season and declares I don't see how we could get him in 2010 unless we have a horrid outing in 09 and have at least a top 10 pick. Nice to dream though. :D

You make good points. We'll see. I don't have any doubt that he can play DE in a 4-3, just that he might be best fit in that role in a 3-4. If he could move inside sometimes and play DT well (he'd need to learn to change some of his technique) that would be a great scenario. As far as Carlos Dunlap is concerned...that guy is a freakin monster. If he has another standout year next season and declares I don't see how we could get him in 2010 unless we have a horrid outing in 09 and have at least a top 10 pick. Nice to dream though. :D

I kinda hope Dunlap has a mediocre season and falls to us at pick 32. Yeah, dreaming is nice. :D

I would like to alleviate all your fears about that weak pick at #13.

There is a 100% guarantee in place that the Redskins will trade down.

You can write that in the sky or burn it in the sand. 100%.

I have no idea what Danny and Vinnie will do with their picks, but I will guarantee you that the first pick will NOT come at #13. They will trade down to pick up a 2nd or a 3rd before they choose somebody with a low 1st round pick.

100% guaranteed!:cheers:

Archived