Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Herm Edwards fired

ixcuincle

They should have fired him. In his three years at KC he was 9-7, 4-12, & 2-14.

Herm's 8 year HC career record is 54-74.

He did inherit an team with old lines especially on the offensive side but didn't do a great job to rebuild what was their strength. The only real rebuilding move through the draft he used wasn't until this year when he took Brandon Albert in the first round. Other then that he spent just one 6th round pick each year on the OL.

As far as KC's QB situation goes he had three years to find a new one. He put faith in one of his own draft picks (2006 3rd round) Brodie Croyle. The biggest knocks on him prior to the draft were he was too thin and injury prone. Without rebuilding that OL it would only be a matter of time before a player like that would be injured and sure enough....he can't stay healthy.

The FO was a bit of a mess but don't think Herm didn't have any say in personnel decisions. Remember they liked him so much they were correctly accused of tampering while Herm was still the Jets HC. To save face they had to give up a 4th round pick in order to get him.

Herm is a great motivator and would be an awesome college HC. No one could compete with him as a recruiter.:2cents:

I'm trying to figure out if there is any way to quantify going from Herm Edwards as your coach to Mike Shanahan.

If I was Rick Reilly, it would be easy.

It's like going from Rue McClannahan to Pam Anderson.

It's like going from Alf to the Terminator.

It's like going from Cliff Barnes to JR Ewing.

(You see, beacuse all of Rick's references are 20 to 40 years old...... I hate you all).

It's like going from Cliff Barnes to JR Ewing.

(You see' date=' beacuse all of Rick's references are 20 to 40 years old...... I hate you all).[/quote']lol, even if the younger posters know who J R is they won't have a clue on Cliff, who always ended up on the short end of the stick.

Pam is like the neighborhood bike.
Off for a ride! ;)

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3869519

Edwards joins ESPN's NFL team

Herm Edwards was well-known for his sound bites while coaching the Kansas City Chiefs and New York Jets. Now he'll be taking his talking talents to ESPN.

Edwards, recently fired as head coach of the Chiefs, is joining ESPN as an NFL studio analyst and will start in mid-February.

Edwards

Edwards

"I'm excited about the opportunity to join the ESPN team and offer my insight as a former player and head coach. I'm going to be truthful with my opinions on all the issues that take place on and off the field of play," Edwards said in a statement.

Edwards had been an NFL head coach for the past eight seasons, leading the Jets and Chiefs to four playoff appearances. His overall coaching record was 56-77. In addition, he is one of only four NFL coaches to lead two teams to playoff berths in his first season with a new team.

"Herm is well-liked and highly respected throughout the league, and his insights and opinions as a former coach will make a tremendous addition to our year-round NFL coverage," Norby Williamson, ESPN executive vice president, production said in a statement.

Edwards, who also played 10 seasons in the NFL -- mostly for the Eagles -- will appear on "NFL Live," "SportsCenter," ESPNEWS and other programs throughout the year. He also will contribute on ESPN Radio and other platforms.

In addition, he is one of only four NFL coaches to lead two teams to playoff berths in his first season with a new team.

Why would this article's author insert an irrelevant fact like this into his article? I think that when a coach is successful in his first year it is often just a continuation of the work done by the previous coach. Example: Barry Switzer.

Archived