Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Compensatory Picks question

BillyKilmer

I was wondering if anyone knew if Washington might get any compenstory picks?

Is it determined by who we lost in free agency before the season or does it count from here forward?

Thanks for any help

Compensatory Picks

In addition to the 32 picks in each round, there are a total of 32 picks awarded at the ends of Rounds 3 through 7. These picks, known as "compensatory picks," are awarded to teams that have lost more qualifying free agents than they gained the previous year in free agency. Teams that gain and lose the same number of players but lose higher-valued players than they gain also can be awarded a pick, but only in the seventh round, after the other compensatory picks. Compensatory picks cannot be traded, and the placement of the picks is determined by a proprietary formula based on the player's salary, playing time, and postseason honors with his new team, with salary being the primary factor. So, for example, a team that lost a linebacker who signed for $2.5 million per year in free agency might get a sixth-round compensatory pick, while a team that lost a wide receiver who signed for $5 million per year might receive a fourth-round pick.

If fewer than 32 such picks are awarded, the remaining picks are awarded in the order in which teams would pick in a hypothetical eighth round of the draft (These are known as "supplemental compensatory selections").

Compensatory picks are awarded each year at the NFL annual meeting which is held at the end of March; typically, about three or four weeks before the draft.

I'm not sure, there is always debate about who we lost and who we signed and whether or not they are actual qualifying free agents. As far as I know, we didn't sign anybody of signifigance, but we lost a couple. I would guess (and a wild guess at that) that we'd get 2, no formula on my part as to how/why.

Since we didn't sign an FA ourselves, the best way to see if we might qualify would be to look at the top 32 contracts, money wise, signed by FA last year. Now i believe if you lose and sign players of equal value then the cancel each other out.

I don't know where to find the top FA contracts of last year though.

We lost Prioleau and Brunnel, unless am forgetting someone. Maybe a 7th rounder?

I don't know if Brunell counts, since his contract was voided.

David Macklin was another FA loss

I doubt Macklin counts because he spent most of the year without a team.

I'm guessing if it is just Prioleau, it is a 7th round pick.

I don't know if Brunell counts, since his contract was voided.

I doubt Macklin counts because he spent most of the year without a team.

I'm guessing if it is just Prioleau, it is a 7th round pick.

Of course, 7th round compensatory picks are really just UDFAs that you get exclusive rights to contract. I'm given to understand that if you're still on the board after 5, you want to be undrafted.

Aye, if you don't like me the put me on ignore.

You can do what you want and I am not going to ignore you, but let him rest in peace.

He doesn't need to be brought up in things like this. He is worth more than a comp pick. Remember him, don't use him.

You can do what you want and I am not going to ignore you, but let him rest in peace.

He doesn't need to be brought up in things like this. He is worth more than a comp pick. Remember him, don't use him.

Whether you think he should be brought up or not is irrelivant.

I had a question about whether we get a compensatory pick for losing a player. Denver also had a player die, so I would like to know if they got a comp pick. Jacksonville had a player get critically injured this year too, I'd like to know how that will be handled. And Arizona had a player leave to join the Army, where he was killed. Did Arizona get a pick.

Whether you want to discuss it or not is not what I care about. I am curious about how these picks are awarded and so I ask a question.

This is exactly what irritates me about some people here. I just mention the guy's name and all of a sudden I'm the bad guy.

Do we get anything for Sean Taylor?

Since people want to get mad at me for asking a simple question, I went ahead and did some research on this question myself.

Here is a link to a thread where SOMEBODY ELSE asked this same question last year (perish the thought)

http://www.extremeskins.com/archive/index.php/t-228794.html

Anybody think we'll be getting compensatory picks for Derrick Dockery and/or Sean Taylor?
Don't we get some cap relief from the league for the loss of Sean Taylor?
Nope, he pretty much gets treated like he was released.

Jason

Not sure what the exact formula is, but I know it's based on what FAs the Skins signed and their record. Since the Skins record this year is better then last year, that hurts their chances of getting a pick for Dockery. Plus the Skins usually sign as many or more FAs as they lose. If they get something for Taylor it won't be until '09.
Fatty P went over it soon after Taylor's death. The NFL doesn't have a policy for players who die in the middle of the season. Based on what happened with Williams, Taylor's unguaranteed salary won't count against the cap, but his signing bonus will be accelerated. I think the net ends up working against us by about 500K

Jason

I don't know how official this is, but its an attempt to answer the question I posed.

I had a question about whether we get a compensatory pick for losing a player. Denver also had a player die, so I would like to know if they got a comp pick. Jacksonville had a player get critically injured this year too, I'd like to know how that will be handled. And Arizona had a player leave to join the Army, where he was killed. Did Arizona get a pick.

Whether you want to discuss it or not is not what I care about. I am curious about how these picks are awarded and so I ask a question.

This is exactly what irritates me about some people here. I just mention the guy's name and all of a sudden I'm the bad guy.

Answer to your question is NO. You must have been sleeping last year when this topic was discussed very heavily and the answer then was no and it is still a no this year as well and the year after that and the year after that and.....

Answer to your question is NO. You must have been sleeping last year when this topic was discussed very heavily and the answer then was no then and it is still a no this year and the year after that and the year after that and.....

yeah, I probably was. Last year I was pretty tired of talking about Sean Taylor. But now I'm curious about some of these things.

I never said that it was an original question, just that it's relevant.

Then why not post this the first time around instead of making it only about Taylor? Why dance around what you "truly" wanted to know?

If you were that curious about the topic in general, you would have posted your question just like you did here, the first time around.

Then why not post this the first time around instead of making it only about Taylor? Why dance around what you "truly" wanted to know?

If you were that curious about the topic in general, you would have posted your question just like you did here, the first time around.

I didn't know I would get the third degree for asking a question.

This is exactly what I was talking about in the other thread though. The name Sean Taylor is unspeakable in these boards now unless somebody is showing sympathy towards him. I just asked a question of us getting a comp pick for losing him. Its almost the exact same question that HigSkin asked last year. But I'm getting called names and talked about like I'm a dog.

Now I know that if I ever mention a certain player's name, I had better make it a 1600 word post to explain why I have the right to mention his name.

I didn't know I would get the third degree for asking a question.

This is exactly what I was talking about in the other thread though. The name Sean Taylor is unspeakable in these boards now unless somebody is showing sympathy towards him. I just asked a question of us getting a comp pick for losing him. Its almost the exact same question that HigSkin asked last year. But I'm getting called names and talked about like I'm a dog.

Now I know that if I ever mention a certain player's name, I had better make it a 1600 word post to explain why I have the right to mention his name.

Well, in this case it was asked a lot and answered some time ago. I'm sorry if you think people are being rude about it, but a simple search could have answered your question.

Archived