Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Vinny at senior bowl

wilco_holland

Soooo, it looks as if we are NOT going to draft a LB this year. Last year the depth was at OT but, did we draft one? NOPE.

At least we may get a lineman or two this year, but I'm not holding my breath.

Actually, we did draft one. Rinehart was an OT in college. We just moved him to guard.

because.. Balche's scheme requires more talented LB's then DL's?

*shrug* just sayin...

I'm so tired of hearing this excuse. How many years have we been saying and trying to force ourselves into believing such crap? This was the mantra under GW and now it Balche. I don't care what scheme you are running, you have to have a D-line that can push the pocket or you are always going to have problems getting to the QB.

Along with needs on the interior o-line, outside linebacker is our biggest area of need.

I would like to see Vinny address RT with Jordan Gross in Free Agency and if the USC LB is there at 13 take him...he is a playmaker and could add some idenity to our defense....and then DT in the 3rd round...but it's early some players with fall and some will gain momentum by draft day....

Similarly - players that we touted as nothing more than 3rd round prospects in January can become 1st rounders come draft day. quote]

You are absolutely correct about this but it drives me nuts! How is that a player can have 3 or 4 seasons of history, stats and game film from College and the move up or down so much without even playing a game based soley on workouts and 40 times wearing shorts and track shoes.

Falling in love with a guys measurables and forgetting that we are looking for football players not track stars or body builders is how busts happen IMO.

Who'll be the next Mike Mamula! I was in Boston for 3 years through 5/95 and recall quite clearly the incredible hype surrounding this guy's 1994 combine performance (he went to B.C.) Yeah, if 3-4 years of game tape doesn't do it, he's not all that.

I would like to see Vinny address RT with Jordan Gross in Free Agency [ ]

Dude, while Snyder's ability to print greenbacks may be unlimited, his ability to shed the resulting enormous contracts is not. We keep getting in trouble because we keep signing top free agents to even topper contracts, and then they don't live up to them. No to Gross.

Dude, while Snyder's ability to print greenbacks may be unlimited, his ability to shed the resulting enormous contracts is not. We keep getting in trouble because we keep signing top free agents to even topper contracts, and then they don't live up to them. No to Gross.

I see your point..but...Gross is what 28 years old...6 years as pro...this would not be a Bruce Smith/Deion Sanders/Jason Taylor signing ie players that were hall of famers for other teams and only came to WAS to collect a paycheck and Gross is an all pro tackle in his prime...and he won't cost as much as Haynesworth, Suggs, or Peppers in FA. For me O Line is our biggest concern...Sign Gross and draft Oline for depth in the latter rounds...and DT and LB early. IMO...

Oh yeah we can find all sorts of cash by cutting some of the older dead weight on this team...Marcus Washington, Jason Taylor and even Shawn Springs...they can't stay healthy enough to justify a weekly game check....

I still think we should go OT with our 13th pick if a good one is available, or a DT. We can't keep pretending like the lines are ok, they aren't. I know we are thin at LB as well but I think it would be a better philosophy to work on the lines first, then work your way back.

Why would the Skins be interested in a player who is dropping? The Draft is a giant over-rated crap shoot hyped for purposes of TV. It makes more sense for Skins to trade No. 1 for a proven veteran.

LMAO

Vinny when did you make an account on extreme skins?

So what your saying is...lets throw away our number 1 pick for an over the hill veteran...yeah..makes sense :doh:

Well its a good thing we took one with one of those three second round picks

only 1 OT was taken in the 2nd round, Mike Pollack at 59, one of the last 5 picks in the 2nd round, way after we had used all our 2nd rounders. There was a guard taken earlier, Chilo Rachal, but that was after our Devin Thomas pick but before our other two 2nd rounders. OTs were a hot commodity last season, unfortunately 7 were taken in the first round, and 8 total OL were taken in the 1st round (OG Brandon Albert was the 8th OL) so it wasn't like there was still a a bunch of great OL available in the 2nd round, which is likely why only 2 were taken then. You want to get the best players in there, not just drafting solely by position to fill a need.

I still think we should go OT with our 13th pick if a good one is available, or a DT. We can't keep pretending like the lines are ok, they aren't. I know we are thin at LB as well but I think it would be a better philosophy to work on the lines first, then work your way back.

We've been doing it ass backwards....so logically I guess we should expect a LB to be taken with our 1st pick

Why would the Skins be interested in a player who is dropping? The Draft is a giant over-rated crap shoot hyped for purposes of TV. It makes more sense for Skins to trade No. 1 for a proven veteran.

That was true in the George Allen days. Not anymore. Teams need to be built through the draft now with veterans picked up to fill needs. If the Skins trade #13 they need to trade it for more picks.

only 1 OT was taken in the 2nd round, Mike Pollack at 59, one of the last 5 picks in the 2nd round, way after we had used all our 2nd rounders. There was a guard taken earlier, Chilo Rachal, but that was after our Devin Thomas pick but before our other two 2nd rounders. OTs were a hot commodity last season, unfortunately 7 were taken in the first round, and 8 total OL were taken in the 1st round (OG Brandon Albert was the 8th OL) so it wasn't like there was still a a bunch of great OL available in the 2nd round, which is likely why only 2 were taken then. You want to get the best players in there, not just drafting solely by position to fill a need.

We traded out of our first round pick, where we could have landed an OT like Brown or Baker (or DE like Merling, in which case we'd still have our #2 this year). It's fine to trade back, and grab extra picks, but we chose to do that INSTEAD of repleneshing the severely depleted OL. We can't decline to take OL/DL, trade back, draft 3 pass catchers, and then act like there were no OL/DL available to us. There were damn good ones available, including 2 OTs who are now significant starters for OLs far better than ours.

If anyone reads through this board they will at least find these two opinions in high numbers.

People that think Vinny is terrible at his job and should have been fired long ago.

People that think Jason Campbell has about as much chance of being a good NFL QB as Kobe Bryant has of playing LF for the dodgers.

With that being said, is there any overlap? What I mean is, are there any Vinny haters out there that think Colt is going to be the 2nd coming of (insert name of great QB here)

If you are a Vinny hater and a Colt lover, how would your opinion of Vinny change if Colt (who Vinny snagged in the 6th rd) did indeed turn out to be as great as you think he is?

It's a crap shoot if you don't know how to pick talent. Vinny sucks at picking talent. He claims last year was deep with OT's? Why didn't we get a couple? Instead, Vinny prefers bad knees, bad attitudes and positions where we have no need. And punters.

Can you provide a list of all these highly rated players not taken in the draft? Somebody picked them. You have to look at both the long term value and cap impact of a rookie VS FA too.

You are absolutely correct about this but it drives me nuts! How is that a player can have 3 or 4 seasons of history, stats and game film from College and the move up or down so much without even playing a game based soley on workouts and 40 times wearing shorts and track shoes.

Falling in love with a guys measurables and forgetting that we are looking for football players not track stars or body builders is how busts happen IMO.

I totally agree that a player's evaluation should be based on actual football performance and not on a week of combine results. Every year players jump way up/down the draft boards based on a week of essentially track and field events.

The biggest benefit of the combine IMO is that teams get to scrutinize a players health to check for any possible injury concerns going forward. Unfortunately I think the Skins were the only team who didn't look into Malcolm Kelly's knees.

Archived