Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rey Maualuga could be option at 13

NAC386

You guys are crazy if you think he's good enough to be SLB. He is overrated already as a MLB, there is no way that he will be a star at strong side linebacker.

We dont need a star at OLB for this season, we need to help the offense out with a new RT. Our defense will be fine with Blades or a veteran free agent OLB.

Rey Rey is not a good fit. He is a natural mlb with decent instincts, OLB is not natural to him. He also has difficulty getting off blocks SLB he would be dealing with a TE on practically very play. Maualuga also struggles in coverage.

Maualuga is best in a scheme where he can blitz from the mlb spot and play downhill. On the edge he would struggle.

Last year was all the indication we should need: players from the West Coast should if at all possible come out of Westwood, not Troy Hall and the University of Spoiled Children (soon to be renamed Pete Carroll Polytechnic).

I hate USC as much as anyone but by any chance are you a UCLA alum?

You guys are crazy if you think he's good enough to be SLB. He is overrated already as a MLB, there is no way that he will be a star at strong side linebacker.

We dont need a star at OLB for this season, we need to help the offense out with a new RT. Our defense will be fine with Blades or a veteran free agent OLB.

Rey Rey is not a good fit. He is a natural mlb with decent instincts, OLB is not natural to him. He also has difficulty getting off blocks SLB he would be dealing with a TE on practically very play. Maualuga also struggles in coverage.

Maualuga is best in a scheme where he can blitz from the mlb spot and play downhill. On the edge he would struggle.

Blades is NOT an OLB. He struggled last year. So you say its ok to let a MLB (Blades) play outside but not Maualuga?

Please show me where Rey struggles in coverage?

Honestly, Rey would be my dream pick, I also like Brian Cushing.

585466.jpg

First off Cushing is being linked to steroids. Second, if you want Cushing here then be prepared for him to never see the field. He was hurt every year at USC. He is the model player for injury prone!

First off Cushing is being linked to steroids. Second, if you want Cushing here then be prepared for him to never see the field. He was hurt every year at USC. He is the model player for injury prone!

That is treu.....he is not a sure pick, the injury part worries me to....only that streroids thing I never heard of. It would make sence, if ya look at his body...damm that's is realy looking to good.

I hate USC as much as anyone but by any chance are you a UCLA alum?

<sigh>

Sadly, no my friend. It was always my dream to go there and attempt to walk-on out of high school. The grades weren't the problem; cash was. Even back then, even for an in-state rez in the UC system, it was a boatload of scratch.

What about you? Sounds like even if you're not an alum you're a fan, and that's good enough for me. :)

Yeah, that is kinda a weird quote. Sedrick Ellis and Keith Rivers both played well from USC last year, and I can't recall the last great UCLA player.

Weird is what I do, brother. Look at it this way: in NC2A the Trojans are my version of the Cowboys. Every bit as much so. Always hated 'em, always will. In LA and it's immediate surroundings 99.9% of sports fans choose one or the other. For me it was the powder blue and gold.

Oh, and btw...a case could be made that the last great Bruin footballer is, uh, currently our starting SS.

Ring any bells?

:)

• 1 month later...

For those that are worried about Maualuga's coverage abilities, consider TO and Plax are gone and LJ is up the road in Baltimore. The teams in our division have average receivers and we have above average corners and safeties. Put double coverage on Witten and Westbrook if that's the concern. I'm more worried about Barber and a healthy Felix Jones or Jacobs running it down our throat. Haynesworth coupled with Maualuga would be great at resolving that problem. By resigning Wynn and Daniels to hold down the DE position and not resigning Washington, odds point strongly to drafting an LB if one of the top tackles doesn't drop.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived