Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rey Maualuga could be option at 13

NAC386

];6049303']Aaron Curry>Rey Mauluga.

That said' date=' either one would be great here, AND they'd fill our 2nd Biggest Need.

Though I'd take Michael Oher or Eugene Monroe over either one of them.[/quote']

Ghost...i think you are right on with your assessment

since i cant make new threads and i cant really find a thread to post it in...i was lookin at some more prospects in the later rounds, and i came across -- this huge wr:

Ramses Barden, Cal Poly-SLO

Height: 6-6. Weight: 226.

Projected 40 Time: 4.55.

Projected Round (2009): 4.

1/4/09: Thanks to his impressive side, Ramses Barden had 67 receptions, 1,257 yards and 18 touchdowns as a senior.

10/19/08: The only Mustang of note, Ramses Barden has at least 131 yards and a touchdown in every game this season.

5/22/08: And I thought a 42-catch, 824-yard campaign was impressive. Ramses Barden smashed his 2006 numbers, collecting 57 receptions, 1,467 yards and 18 touchdowns last year. I don't care where you play - that's downright impressive.

2007: Ramses Barden's 6-6 frame may get him drafted, but unless he gets quicker, he'll have trouble getting separation in the NFL. Produced at 1-AA, accumulating 824 yards last year and 14 touchdowns the past two seasons.

anybody see him play and hes projected in the 4th round and the dude is 6-6!!!!

That said Mauluga is a better option then Curry IMO simply because he is a Mike. Superstar MLB are harder to find and seem to last longer then OLB's. When we lost Pierce our D suffered real bad. and he'll never be what Mauluga could potentially be. Furthermore good OLB's seem to come and go, and don't seem to last as long.....While great MLB's seem to be cornerstones of thier D's for years.

Curry is a much better overall LB prospect than Mauluga is. Mauluga is a better MLB, but not a better ILB. Curry is said to be prototypical at OLB or ILB. Mauluga is athletic enough to play OLB, but is best suited for MLB.

Overall, Mauluga seems to have that killer instinct that defenses watch out for, but Curry has the leadership and overall soundness to dominate. I'd still take Curry over Mauluga, but I wouldn't be upset with Mauluga sporting a shade of Crimson and Gold in the NFL.

if we addressed some of our line needs via FA (responsibly that is, meaning players that fit our scheme, not the owner's ego), then I could definitely be very excited with rey as our first round pick, definitely believe he is going to be the real deal in the NFL...

but say we went into the draft as is, we'd have to go oline...

I've watched almost every game that Maualuga has played. I don't want him drafted by the Redskins with our first round pick. No way.

Rey is an amazing physical specimen, but the mental part of the game is his weakness. He's out of position a lot and even instinctively seems lacking at times. He's best used the way the Eagles have traditionally used their MLB - as a gap-shooting, backfield disrupting force. He's another Jeremiah Trotter. Point him in the right direction and let him go charging there. That can be useful, but it's also quite limiting.

Our defense doesn't use this approach, and regardless what we need are OLB's anyway . . . after, that is, we address our OL and DL. Rey wouldn't work in our more read-and-react oriented scheme for our LB's.

So no, I don't want him.

If we stay at 13, I would draft BPA of OL, DL, or LB. All are positions of great need.

Maulaluga is a beast. I love his intensity and he definitely brings an intimidation factor.

Exactly how I feel.

BPA out of OL/DL/LB

If some top guys are taken, trade down and pick up another 2nd or 3rd and stick with the plan...

Oh, and he's a great "character" player to boot.

from nfldraftcountdown.com:

Was arrested on suspicion of misdemeanor battery after allegedly punching a man during a party in 2005...Has faced team disciplinary action on more than one occasion...Has star potential if he can keep his head on straight ...

plus:

I would call Rey a lot of things, but he sure as hell isn't a "great character" guy.

I've watched almost every game that Maualuga has played. I don't want him drafted by the Redskins with our first round pick. No way.

Rey is an amazing physical specimen, but the mental part of the game is his weakness. He's out of position a lot and even instinctively seems lacking at times. He's best used the way the Eagles have traditionally used their MLB - as a gap-shooting, backfield disrupting force. He's another Jeremiah Trotter. Point him in the right direction and let him go charging there. That can be useful, but it's also quite limiting.

Our defense doesn't use this approach, and regardless what we need are OLB's anyway . . . after, that is, we address our OL and DL. Rey wouldn't work in our more read-and-react oriented scheme for our LB's.

So no, I don't want him.

That is exactly how I feel. There is somethiong not right about him

So no, I don't want him.

Wow i think ur way off. I also watch a lost of Usc games and he will be a superstar if use correctly. If we use him like a Ray Lewis, blitzing, shooting gaps getting into the backfield he will be dominate. He can also play in coverage. Just look at the ohio state game. I bet Todd BEckman is still having nightmares. Rey was all over the entire game getting sacks, intercepting balls, scoring touchdowning, and laying people out. I get real pumped just thinking of him in a skins uniform.

With all that said oline and dline must be our first priority, but if the big 4 are gone, plus EVerette brown and bj raji then i would take him

from nfldraftcountdown.com:

Was arrested on suspicion of misdemeanor battery after allegedly punching a man during a party in 2005...Has faced team disciplinary action on more than one occasion...Has star potential if he can keep his head on straight ...

plus:

I would call Rey a lot of things, but he sure as hell isn't a "great character" guy.

Well, I'd say a lot of people have gotten in a fight in college...it happens. And that video is freaking hilarious...he was just having a little fun. But, his character is something that the draft scouts should do a little more research on...

With all that said oline and dline must be our first priority, but if the big 4 are gone, plus EVerette brown and bj raji then i would take him

The LAST thing we need on this team is Everette Brown. Another undersized DE? And we need an OLB more than a DT. Raji would be great, but while Golston and Monty are hardly anything to get excited about at DT, we're FAR worse at OLB with HB Blades out there.

And it sounds like Mauluga is a very athletic and talented Linebacker. He just happens to free lance and do his own thing a lot, which often causes him to be out of position and missing his assingments.

I don't know why, but that sounds oddly familiar.

];6050181']The LAST thing we need on this team is Everette Brown. Another undersized DE? And we need an OLB more than a DT. Raji would be great' date=' but while Golston and Monty are hardly anything to get excited about at DT, we're FAR worse at OLB with HB Blades out there.

And it sounds like Mauluga is a very athletic and talented Linebacker. He just happens to free lance and do his own thing a lot, which often causes him to be out of position and missing his assingments.

I don't know why, but that sounds oddly familiar.[/quote']

You're right, he does sound familiar. Now if only we could somehow pick up him and the best OT in the draft in back to back picks. Hmm...

You're right, he does sound familiar. Now if only we could somehow pick up him and the best OT in the draft in back to back picks. Hmm...

:rotflmao:

That would be something, wouldn't it.

He's a guy I wouldn't mind if we drafted. If a top 5 talent falls to 13, pick them up, regardless of position.

Mauluga is not a top 5 Talent. He's a very good player who's worth of a Top Half 1st Round Pick, maybe even Top 10. The best LB in this draft, hands down, is Aaron Curry.

But what if Aaron Curry is available at #13 too?

I'd take Curry over Maualuga, just based on our personnel and our weaknesses. Curry could easily play the weakside and would likely compliment what Greg Blache likes to do on defense. We could then give spot duty to Rocky McIntosh, which, judging by his performance in the latter half of the season, is a role better suited from him.

Maualuga could play the strong side until Fletch moves on and excel in that position (provided he is the player I think he is). He makes sense, really only, on the strong side; Curry can play both.

Well, I'd say a lot of people have gotten in a fight in college...it happens. And that video is freaking hilarious...he was just having a little fun. But, his character is something that the draft scouts should do a little more research on...

I think it's inexcusable for a high-profile college athlete to get into a fight in college. I'm a college student and have never gotten into a fight. I have tons of friends that never have either. All that without the publicity that comes from being a high-profile player. There are plenty of guys just as good as Maualuga that have never had problems getting into bar fights.

He definitely has some concerns about where his head is and the fact that he's been disciplined by his team numerous times doesn't sit well with me.

Archived