Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rey Maualuga could be option at 13

NAC386

I dont know. Curry is a beast also. Rey is a monster but I think Curry has him in speed. Both are almost the same size. I wouldnt mind picking up either LB at #13. These guys are future probowlers. This is only if the big 4 Tackles are off the board.

My thing is we have Fletcher for at least two years and we REALLY need an OLB. BUT, the MLB is most important and how do you replace a guy like Fletcher? When you have an opportunity to get a guy like Ray M. that could be another leader like Tatupu, Willis, Beason, Fletcher, or Lewis, then I say grab him.

Maualuga is a beast. The only games I saw him play in this year was versus Oregon State and the Rose Bowl. Even though USC lost one of those games it doesn't meant it was his fault. He was all over the field making plays and reading plays, it was crazy. If we draft him over a DT or OL I would not be pissed.

Ok, this post makes sense. Clearly you are not familiar with ES rules. You know the rule that states you can only post hypothetical draft choices that make no sense at all inorder to upset other ES members.

You're right, sorry. I change my mind, let's draft Bradford!

I think Rey would transition well to OLB until Fletcher retires. I love watching him play. He is the heart and soul of the USC defense. We dont really have that type of a player. Fletcher is like that and so was Sean Taylor. But we dont have a Ray Lewis, Troy Polamalu type of player that the defense feeds off of. Rey Maualuga could be that type of player. When teams have a player like that they can feed off of their game tends to improve. Id be all for it him!

IMO, if Maualuga, Curry or Laurinaitis are there @ pick #13 we'd be dumb not to take them.

At the same time (puts flame suit on 'cause I know I'm gonna get bashed for this) if Malcolm Jenkins is there at #13 I think we'd be dumb to pass on him. Kid is a flat-out baller. Best shutdown/run support/pure athletic corner I've seen in a long, long time and with our corner situation sort of up in the air it'd be tough to pass on him.

I know, I know we need O-line and D-line help. I understand that, trust me. But boy oh boy it'd be tough to see any of the guys mentioned on the board @ pick #13 and not take them. BPA in round one... address the lines after that.

Sidenote, I don't care who you are...this is hilarious!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ds-Mrp0wl4

Priceless.

Maualuga's apologized. http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blog/2009/01/uscs-rey-maualu.html

"Andrews has declined to comment." :laugh:

Draft him if he's available but not before Curry. If we stand pat at #13 Maualuga or one of the big 4 OT would be grand.

LT Khalif Barnes should be a FA this offseason. He is young and would help shore up the OL and give us an option to get a guy like Ray or Curry.

Khalif Barnes blows. He is known as very lazy and has been in decline for 2 or 3 years now. Jags fans are happy to see him go.

IMO, if Maualuga, Curry or Laurinaitis are there @ pick #13 we'd be dumb not to take them.

At the same time (puts flame suit on 'cause I know I'm gonna get bashed for this) if Malcolm Jenkins is there at #13 I think we'd be dumb to pass on him. Kid is a flat-out baller. Best shutdown/run support/pure athletic corner I've seen in a long, long time and with our corner situation sort of up in the air it'd be tough to pass on him.

I know, I know we need O-line and D-line help. I understand that, trust me. But boy oh boy it'd be tough to see any of the guys mentioned on the board @ pick #13 and not take them. BPA in round one... address the lines after that.

Quan Cosby raped Jenkins in that bowl game.

];6049303']Aaron Curry>Rey Mauluga.

That said' date=' either one would be great here, AND they'd fill our 2nd Biggest Need.

Though I'd take Michael Oher or Eugene Monroe over either one of them.[/quote']

Agree that we need depth at on the OL. Hopefully we get a late 1st or 2nd in a trade....But if we do indeed draft at 13 and all the OT's are gone i think Curry or Mauluga is the right pick, not only addresses a need but are probably the BPA left on the board (except crabtree who i hope we DONT get).

That said Mauluga is a better option then Curry IMO simply because he is a Mike. Superstar MLB are harder to find and seem to last longer then OLB's. When we lost Pierce our D suffered real bad. and he'll never be what Mauluga could potentially be. Furthermore good OLB's seem to come and go, and don't seem to last as long.....While great MLB's seem to be cornerstones of thier D's for years.

Lastly, if we do go Cowher (which i am not endorsing) in the future and go 3-4 then 2 quality MLB's would be a good start.

what round is brandon spikes projected to go in if he declares? he may not have the instincts of mauluga but the dude is a preeeeeeeeetttty good mlb, who im sure can be the heir successor to fletcher. i also wouldnt mind sean witherspoon to fill in for MW spot permanently. dude straight up in his sophomore year had 130 tackles and i mean was always round the ball. hes a junior now so he might not declare but on this scouting site they say he might not be taken on the first day due to his lack of speed and quickness.

"Weatherspoon will have to show that he can translate his productivity into the NFL. At 6-1 and 235 pounds, he has decent size, but there are quite a few linebackers who are bigger and can match his speed and quickness. If he does come out early, Weatherspoon will find it difficult to squeeze his way into the first day of the draft. "

Archived