Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rey Maualuga could be option at 13

NAC386

Rey would be a good pick, but I doubt the Skins grab him as they have faith in London for the next year or two and HB to replace him.

I agree about having London as the starter for a couple more years, HOWEVER, how do you replace a guy like London? The MLB spot is SO important. I like Blades, but I don't like him as a long term MLB. When you have an opportunity to grab a potential franchise MLB like Lauranitis or Rey whatever, its hard to pass up.

What Willis, Beason, Tatupu, Hawk and Ryans have done for their respective teams have beam tremendous.

Ib,

It's tough to replace a guy like London unless you do it in the 1st/2nd round of the draft, or via free agency.

I am not a big believer in Blades, but I have a feeling the Skins are going to give him more time before they target another MLB in the draft or FA.

:2cents:

Ib,

It's tough to replace a guy like London unless you do it in the 1st/2nd round of the draft, or via free agency.

I am not a big believer in Blades, but I have a feeling the Skins are going to give him more time before they target another MLB in the draft or FA.

:2cents:

I can only hope he surpasses our expectations :fingersx:

I think it's inexcusable for a high-profile college athlete to get into a fight in college. I'm a college student and have never gotten into a fight. I have tons of friends that never have either. All that without the publicity that comes from being a high-profile player. There are plenty of guys just as good as Maualuga that have never had problems getting into bar fights.

He definitely has some concerns about where his head is and the fact that he's been disciplined by his team numerous times doesn't sit well with me.

Damn dude stuf!

You obviously have no idea what the kid went through. He lost his father whom he was really really close to. Things like that mess with people especially when your young. ESPN did a segment on him before the Rose Bowl depicting his relationship with his dad and Ken Norton the now USC LB coach. The story was about how he got into trouble when his dad just passed and how Ken Norton took him under his wing and how since then he is matured and developed into a good stand up guy. So before you go calling him a headcase and brag about how you are this awesome guy who never made a mistake. Perhaps you should educated yourself about the guys life story.

A stud LB could have just as much impact on our defense as a DT that collapses the pocket.

A guy like Maualuga that can rush the passer and stop the run is invaluable.

But what if Aaron Curry is available at #13 too?

I think Rey Maualuga would be a good pick for the Skins but I don't think Aaron Curry will fall to us. Does anyone else think he will go Top 10?

And I agree, Rey Maualuga can have a large effect on our run-stopping abilities, as would an effective DT. Not to mention, the dude can cover AND come off the end....he could possibly bring a PASS-RUSH to D.C. (wow)

• 3 weeks later...
I think Rey Maualuga would be a good pick for the Skins but I don't think Aaron Curry will fall to us. Does anyone else think he will go Top 10?

And I agree, Rey Maualuga can have a large effect on our run-stopping abilities, as would an effective DT. Not to mention, the dude can cover AND come off the end....he could possibly bring a PASS-RUSH to D.C. (wow)

I totally agree, he's a beast...

There is plenty of talent to be had at the end of round 1 -- both Mack and Unger, whom we could def. use, will be there. I'd rather have an extra pick and a late 1st than a top-13 which will cost $$$ and ---> holdout. We could use a 3 and a 4 over a 5. (That is, on a 1-5 scale, I'd rather draft a one decent starter and one very good starter over one great starter. It's not like we have 1 hole. Although, the way our OL was blocking towards the end of the season, we had none.)

I'd be shocked, and pumped at the same time if the Skins somehow landed Rey.

Unlikely, though, as he's the best MLB in this draft. Hey if Ray Lewis can slip to to 20's I guess anything is possible.

If I'm cincy or denver I draft this guy long before the Skins ever get a chance to.

Can he play strongside until Fletcher retires?

I don't see why not. Typically, guys as talented as Maualuga tend to be versatile enough to start their careers on the outside and play there with success.

London will proably be our MIKE for the remainder of his contract, so I could picture a scenario in which Rey plays the strong-side until Fletch retires.

If we stay at #13 and Maualuga's there, it would be hard to pass him up.

There are so many things that can happen between now and the draft, as well as ON draft day. But, assuming we stay at #13 I think he'd fit our scheme well because he is not unlike London Fletcher in the way he goes sidelines making tackles and putting hits on people.

Let's keep in mind that our standards are high because Fletcher is such a beast, but Rey could be that same type of guy only like 5 inches taller and 15 pounds heavier.

I would favor Maualooga if we had a No. 1 ... but we won't. It will be swapped for a vet.

You're saying you're pretty sure we will trade down out of the 1st round completely?

It might sound strange, but the only thing that worries me about Rey is that he seems like a guy that could potentially be on steroids. I know that is very random, and you could say that about ANY nfl player, but the kid is just huge and so strong for such a young guy (I read he benched like 400 in high school!)

Hopefully that is just my imagination running wild, but has anyone else had that thought?

I would take Curry over Maualuga, but I wouldn't have a problem taking Maualuga if Curry's off the board (which he will be). In fact, I'd be pretty psyched. Still, in a perfect scenario, we could trade down a few spots and still get him. Doubtful, I know, but a boy can dream yo.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived