Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rey Maualuga could be option at 13

NAC386

"I want to become the player that the offense gameplans around, that the offense fears coming into the game." --Rey Maualuga

http://newnfldraft.com/archives/501

http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?Prospect_ID=1225

Rey Maualuga (6'3, 260 pounds) is a beast. The guy hits like a mack truck, he's fast and instinctive, and he has the intangibles that could make him a Junior Seau, hall of fame type of player.

Now I know that we need the most help on OL and DL, and I think that is where we should go with our 1st round pick (hopefully trade back for another pick).

However, if this guy is still on the board I won't be dissapointed if we pull the trigger because we NEED a playmaking linebacker too. Washington used to be our guy, he was big and fast and made plays but he is old and slow now. Rey could be our new guy for the next decade.

He can is fast enough in coverage, but he also rushes the passer well. Remember when Washington used to be all over the field as well as a great blitzing linebacker? That is how Rey is, except he's faster and more intimidating.

Rey is a MLB, but all reports say he could be a great OLB as well. If he is available, we could start him at OLB for 2 years or so letting him rush the passer occasionally, then he will be a natural replacement for London Fletcher at MLB. This is a guy is an ENFORCER, something we desperately need as well.

Some of you are going to say he'll be "long gone" but not necessarily, there are some other great players that will go before him depending on team's needs.

That's a tough question, because Curry seems like one of those natural leaders while Rey just seems like a total beast. I guess I would be pretty happy to have either one of them on the team. I feel like we lack intensity, you know?

I wouldn't mind this pick either, can you imagine this team when Fletcher finally loses it or retires, etc, which could happen as soon a 2 seasons from now. We saw what a stud MLB means to this defense so I wouldn't mind him filling a major need at OLB until we need a MLB. Blades seems OK but from what I read he doesn't have Fletcher's speed so am doubting he is the natural hier apparent.

I think he is a stud and may fall to us. Look at last year's draft, teams were in a trading frenzy for LT's. I think we may trade back because O-line is our biggest need and we don't have many picks once again this year. I think a guy like Aaron Curry from Wake Forest will also be available. It will be hard to pass on either one. Vinny always says that he will draft the best player available, regardless of position or need, so anything can happen.

That's a tough question, because Curry seems like one of those natural leaders while Rey just seems like a total beast. I guess I would be pretty happy to have either one of them on the team. I feel like we lack intensity, you know?

Yeah I have to agree. I'd take either guy. I guess once the Combine rolls around we'll get a better idea of who will be the top LB.

I'd definitely do it but I'd like to somehow get a second rounder to get an Offensive lineman (trade someome maybe?)

I don't want this to happen, but the rumors are saying that the team is looking to get a 2nd out of Carlos Rogers.

Which, if Springs could ever remain healthy we would be ok with him, Smoot and DeAngelo Hall.

I also agree what you said about the OL/DL. But if Ray is available at 13 I would take him in a heartbeat. Not only do you pick by position but you also try to take the best possible player available if you can use him. And when I watch teams like the Steelers and Ravens play and watch there defenses dominate games, I wouldn't mind seeing the Redskins play like that. Obviously Ray does not turn us into the Ravens D but it helps us get one step closer to that.

Yeah I have to agree. I'd take either guy. I guess once the Combine rolls around we'll get a better idea of who will be the top LB.

I don't want this to happen, but the rumors are saying that the team is looking to get a 2nd out of Carlos Rogers.

Which, if Springs could ever remain healthy we would be ok with him, Smoot and DeAngelo Hall.

There is a lot of talk about Springs playing much more at FS if he comes back. That might help him stay healthy as he would be playing deep centre field and not having as much responsibility for run support.

As to the OP I would be just fine with taking an LB at #13. I actually think we will try to trade back, possibly like last year to get multiple second round picks. If we can't do that though then I would say BPA with a bias towards OT, DT and LB.

One of the things that has been mentioned is that we are probably going to trade one of our starters this offseason. I would not be suprised to see Rogers or Moss go for a 2nd rounder, which means we could still address OL early in the draft.

I'm not saying I agree with this method or not, I'm just saying that it's a possibility.

never really watched him play but i always heard good things about him. i would love to get him, if, we got haynesworth. lb's are more and more nfl ready, keith rivers, patrick willis, jerod mayo. that bein said we could address the lb next year. a beast a LB is somethin we need, but theres plenty of depth there. and honestly i wouldnt mind brandon spikes neither.

The way I look at it is we are going to HAVE to use draft and free agency. Now, that does not mean we have to get the super high profile free agents though. I think we need to get 2 OL, 1 DL, and 1 LB at the very least. We do not have enough high picks to make a difference at those positions, so why not grab 2 good free agents (not haynesworth, he's not healthy enough and costs too much for how many games he misses) and spend our draft picks on the best availble players at OL, DL, and LB.

That might help him stay healthy as he would be playing deep centre field

I majored in English in college so I love seeing the British versions of words pop up on here once in a while. :cheers:

Plus it's cool to know that we have fans overseas.

But I agree, Springs would be good back there but the only problem is we're pretty much set at that position.

Blach has been using the "Cobra" formation more though.

LT Khalif Barnes should be a FA this offseason. He is young and would help shore up the OL and give us an option to get a guy like Ray or Curry.

I'm liking your mock draft in your sig a lot better these days man...do you not think we could land Karlos Dansby via FA?

I've seen a lot of Rey being out on the West Coast and the guy is as close to a "sure thing" in the Pros at LB that I have seen in years. I know we have other more pressing needs but if we take him at the #13 spot, I would be completely fine with that. The guy plays sideline to sideline, is always around the ball, just crushes people with his hitting & probably the best attribute: he has great instincts for the ball and the play. Oh, and he's a great "character" player to boot. We could do worse.

I really like Maualuga and think he will be an excellent pro player, but considering he plays the same position as our best D player, albeit aging player, there are probably too many weak spots on the roster to be able to make a pick like this. Only if there aren't any worthy OL/DL at that point, or any teams willing to trade up to that spot will I think Maualuga would be a good pick. Otherwise I think it is a luxury we couldn't afford at this point.

Can't say I would be upset with the pick though. I would only be upset if we pick a DB,TE,WR,RB at that position.

I majored in English in college so I love seeing the British versions of words pop up on here once in a while. :cheers:

Plus it's cool to know that we have fans overseas.

But I agree, Springs would be good back there but the only problem is we're pretty much set at that position.

Blach has been using the "Cobra" formation more though.

I'm liking your mock draft in your sig a lot better these days man...do you not think we could land Karlos Dansby via FA?

He will come with a big price tag. The only OLB I wouldn't mind paying big bucks to is Suggs. He will prob. get franchised. I would take Dansby in a second if he wasn't too much money though.

Archived