Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES bookclub? Anyone interested?

RedskinsSuperBowl21

I might be up for this.

I read Manhunt by James Swanson, and it is a fascinating minute by minute account of Lincoln's assassination, the related assassination attempts, Booth's escape and hiding, and the hunt for him. Really good book.

Oh man, the description of the scene Ford's theater is unreal. My favorite part so far is all that happened in Secretary Seward's Mansion, so much more happened than what we learned in grade school...

great book so far!

I just looked it up, sounds intense but interesting. How hard of a read is it?

Well, I read it in Junior High, and didn't have any trouble with it at all.

IMO, the concepts in the book are Larger Than Life. I like to say that after many of Clarke's books, you feel honored that you were present at such momentous events.

I probably haven't read it in 20 years. (And I really enjoy re-reading books I've already read.) But I still vividly remember large sections of the book, including some important parts of the dialog.

(BTW, I'd be curious about how much you've found out about the story. IMO, the book contains at least three major revelations that I really savor seeing people be surprised by.)

Well, I read it in Junior High, and didn't have any trouble with it at all.

IMO, the concepts in the book are Larger Than Life. I like to say that after many of Clarke's books, you feel honored that you were present at such momentous events.

I probably haven't read it in 20 years. (And I really enjoy re-reading books I've already read.) But I still vividly remember large sections of the book, including some important parts of the dialog.

(BTW, I'd be curious about how much you've found out about the story. IMO, the book contains at least three major revelations that I really savor seeing people be surprised by.)

I looked up a few reviews of the book but I try not to spoil things for myself but I have always been intrigued by the cold war/third Reich era and that initially grabbed my attention I stopped reading the review when it started talking about the overlords and apocalyptic concepts. I dont want to spoil anything

It depends on how structured you want to make it. I tend to go in spurts within a genre so anything too rigid and I'll have a hard time keeping interested.

Bingo. There obviously needs to be some sort of structure, I love discussing books but Im a casual reader and don't like deadlines. The idea would be to get people to read the same book and discuss it. Plain and simple.

I looked up a few reviews of the book but I try not to spoil things for myself but I have always been intrigued by the cold war/third Reich era and that initially grabbed my attention I stopped reading the review when it started talking about the overlords and apocalyptic concepts. I dont want to spoil anything

OK. . . .

Far as I'm aware, the book has only tangential relevance to the Cold War, and none whatsoever to the Third Reich. But I'll take that as "I haven't read any spoilers". :)

("The Overlords" is the name that Humanity uses to refer to the Extraterrestrials who contact Earth in the opening scene.)

Well, let's see...I just got done reading Teddy Atlas' autobiography. Right now, I'm reading a religious book called "Crossing Morgan's Creek."

As long as we're on the subject though, maybe someone in this thread can help me out. I was listening to a radio interview about a month or two ago, and they were interviewing an author. Apparently, he was an FBI guy or some other fed who infiltrated the mob and wrote about his experiences. It wasn't like Donnie Brasco or anything, this was much more recent. I never caught his name or the title of his book, but if anyone knows what I'm talking about, it'd be much appreciated.

OK. . . .

Far as I'm aware, the book has only tangential relevance to the Cold War, and none whatsoever to the Third Reich. But I'll take that as "I haven't read any spoilers". :)

("The Overlords" is the name that Humanity uses to refer to the Extraterrestrials who contact Earth in the opening scene.)

I just ordered the book for a penny on amazon.

:cheers:

Well, let's see...I just got done reading Teddy Atlas' autobiography. Right now, I'm reading a religious book called "Crossing Morgan's Creek."

As long as we're on the subject though, maybe someone in this thread can help me out. I was listening to a radio interview about a month or two ago, and they were interviewing an author. Apparently, he was an FBI guy or some other fed who infiltrated the mob and wrote about his experiences. It wasn't like Donnie Brasco or anything, this was much more recent. I never caught his name or the title of his book, but if anyone knows what I'm talking about, it'd be much appreciated.

http://www.amazon.com/Making-Jack-Falcone-Undercover-Family/dp/1416551638/ref=pd_sim_b_2

I found this..even if this is not the one its sounds pretty good

Archived