Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Flacco is better than Campbell...

dockeryfan

Here's why he's better. He played at Division 1-AA and Candle played in perhaps in many eyes, the toughest college conference in Division 1 football. Yet, Flacco comes in, takes the starting job and RIDES the team to 11 wins and an AFC title game. No excuses for Campbell, he's sucked and better show something next year or I'll be leading the parade to run him out on a rail.

Fixed that for you.

Campbell and Flacco put up similar stats. Both had great defenses. Both have adequate receiving (Mason is their best guy). Both have good running games. Both have capable offensive lines (slight edge to Baltimore). Yet only one is in the AFC Title game and the other is at home trying to "STILL" figure out the cover 2 defense.

Baltimore D is much better than the Skins. Stopping opposing teams from piling up yards does not make a great defense. If you start to sort the defensive catagories by any other stats than ypg, you will watch th Skins D sink like a stone.

Use all the excuses you want, but Jason should be an elite QB in his 4th year no matter what talent is around him.

:rotflmao:

so if he doesn't have WR that can get open, or get deep.... exactly whose going to catch those "elite" throws?

If the OL isn't protecting him, how can he throw from his "elite" back

that statement is illogical, and a generalization... every QB learning curve is different, and is aided or hindered, by coaching changes and the team around him.

Facts aren't excuses.... and Campbell has nothing to be excused for, he had admirable numbers comparable to all 4 NFC East QB's, and showed positive progress.

BTW the 4 year remark is not acurate as you're implying

he sat year 1, started 7 games year 2, 13 games year 3.... this was his first complete season.

Good find. Jason's probably at home right now, sipping brandy by the fireplace, staring happily at his prestigious mid-season MVP award.

Yeah, because Jason doesn't work hard in the offseason.

Again, he may not be the final answer at QB, but to throw out things that needlessly and falsely defame him speaks pretty lowly of many of you. At the least just your character, and at the most, your intelligence. The reason I get so irritated about it is because we have who ARE lazy in the offseason and aren't competitive. Jason isn't one of them. If he was, we wouldn't have scored the go-ahead TD against the 9ers, I guarantee you that. That wasn't the action of someone who phones it in.

Bubba, I've been meaning to compliment you on the quote in your sig. It speaks to a big part of the problem the anti-Campbell crowd has. Even some of the reasoned people on the board attribute far too much success solely on the QB in my opinion.

If a Tony Romo sits to pee style QB, who is a leader and CAN make many things happen on his own was SUCH a key ingredient, I think the Cowboys would have more than 0 playoff wins under him. That's just my opinion though.

I'm not going to go any further with this after this post. I'm not anti-Campbell, I just feel that he hasn't progressed from last year. There are numerous threads about he in the Stadium with both sides offering up stats (defense, open receivers, O-lines, etc) and neither side is going to budge.

I'm not blind to the problems with the defense not getting as many turnovers as the Ravens defense, I see our O-line not playing well and I see our receivers not getting open. However, just as much as the so-called Anti-Campbell crowd is told that they're putting too much blame on him, the Pro-Campbell crowd is not putting enough blame on him. Both go hand in hand with the problems of this team. But when you are the QB, you have accepted a position that is under more scrutiny then the rest of the offense and should have more scrutiny come your way. It comes with the position.

I hope for the sake of the Redskins, that Campbell does turn the corner, or it's going to be another 8-8 season or worse. He has improved (very little like TD passes) in some areas and seemed to regress in others. He has to be more than a game manager if the Redskins want to go to the next level. I see the same thing on the field that you do and it hasn't been pretty. I could care less where they went to college, what they did previously or who's behind center for us as long as he's holding a Lombardi at the end of the year.

Plain and simple for Jason, he has to get to the next level or he's gone. If we can all agree that 25 TD passes and 4000 yards is at least near elite level, then I'll say this: If Jason reaches those numbers next year (he must do both), I'll come back to this thread and take whatever bashing you want to give me. I don't think those are unreachable stats. If he doesn't, then the Skins will have had yet another mediocre season.

For what it's worth..

I do think that Flacco has a better supporting staff and that their coaches have put him into a better position to win. Poor Campbell has been put into a new (and awful) situation each year. It's got to be tough to learn a new offense each year. Really tough.

Right now..I would take Flacco but that doesn't mean I am right. The situation is Washington is always in motion and until it settles down, I'll never know enough about Campbell to make a decision.

Also, FWIW Flacco's mechanics look much better to me than Campbell's the dude looks like a pro passer. Admittedly I'm an untrained eye, but if you look at all of what Zorn said about correcting Campbell's mechanics, I don't think it's too off base to say already-in year one Flacco is a more technically sound QB.

Plain and simple for Jason, he has to get to the next level or he's gone. If we can all agree that 25 TD passes and 4000 yards is at least near elite level, then I'll say this: If Jason reaches those numbers next year (he must do both), I'll come back to this thread and take whatever bashing you want to give me. I don't think those are unreachable stats. If he doesn't, then the Skins will have had yet another mediocre season.

No offense, but I think this is kind of a dumb sentiment. The reason is because Flacco (2971/14) and Big Ben (3301/17) have nothing close to those numbers.

McNabb is just shy, and Warner in pass-happy Arizona certainly exceeds them. But Ben and Flacco have nothing close.

There is more than one way to be a team that contends for the SB. Why do we need an amazing QB? The anti-Campbell crowd might have one thing right - I'm not convinced you pick a QB that high to be serviceable or usable in the way I'm talking about (this is again our lack of good scouting though, nothing more, nothing less), but that doesn't mean we can't resign Campbell for a good REASONABLE contract IF he proves to be GOOD ENOUGH. There are some big ifs there, but that's why he's not signed yet, and 2009 looms large on the Redskins horizon. Let him play "good enough" while we build an OL/DL this offseason and continue to do so in all following years. Let our QB be good enough with numbers like Flacco or Ben had this year while we build a powerful OL and a suffocating defense. That's what I would hope for much moreso than an exciting Tony Romo sits to pee QB who can lead us to 0 playoff wins.

PJfootballer- I agree with your post and what results he needs to achieve in 2009. If he can get 25 TD's or more plus throw for 4,000 yards or more then he will be considered our QB for the near future. People like Flacco because he produced in his first year. JC needs to realize that next year is his make or break year. The other rookie quarterback from Atlanta looked sharp this year too. Just like some of the more established coaches are suddenly losing their jobs so too will QB's that don't start producing to get their teams to the playoffs next year.

No argument from me. Cambell would be decent as a #2 guy that could sit on the bench and learn an offense through and through for 3 or 4 years. He doesnt have the mechanics and the "it" factor to be a great starter. His game is just too damn slow to really be effective. Very slow release, slow making reads and progressions, slow making decisions, and is not very good at improvising when plays break down. He's not a natural leader. He seems so shy and fragile, and thats pretty pathetic, as you cant be fragile as an NFL QB. As an NFL QB, you have to have complete command of the offense; you gotta have the strength, leadership, and determination to take the team on your back and get your guys to play hard. Campbell doesnt have that ability, and so, he should be no more than a career #2.

For what it's worth..

I do think that Flacco has a better supporting staff and that their coaches have put him into a better position to win. Poor Campbell has been put into a new (and awful) situation each year. It's got to be tough to learn a new offense each year. Really tough.

Right now..I would take Flacco but that doesn't mean I am right. The situation is Washington is always in motion and until it settles down, I'll never know enough about Campbell to make a decision.

Poor Campbell? Hell i don't feel sorry for the guy. He's a 1st round pick and gets paid good money. So what if he's had a run of the mill of offensive coordinators. Great players can adjust and find a way to prevail, Campbell cannot it seems. I don't hate him but I just don't think he's the answer, and I think Flacco is better too. Before anybody cites the AFC championship game..remember that he's only a rookie playing in a hostile territory against the top D in the league. Campbell looked just as bad against the Steelers, which was a home game mind you

If anything-part of the reason why Flacco had a bad game last night was b/c instead of taking what the D gave him, he kept looking downfield most of the time. In the Ravens previous 2 games, he did a much better job taking what the D gave him.

How about he's just not that good?

The Ravens couldn't really run the ball but they didn't abandon it. It wasn't like the game was one dimensional. Flacco is not that good, and he's the beneficiary of a great offensive line. In the first half, he was a whopping 3/14 with his biggest pass a 22 yard screen to Rice.

The Ravens couldn't really run the ball but they didn't abandon it. It wasn't like the game was one dimensional. Flacco is not that good, and he's the beneficiary of a great offensive line. In the first half, he was a whopping 3/14 with his biggest pass a 22 yard screen to Rice.

He's a rookie out of Delaware playing against the best defense in football on the road in the AFC Championship game.

I think you're overstating your case a bit.

He's a rookie out of Delaware playing against the best defense in football on the road in the AFC Championship game.

I think you're overstating your case a bit.

Yeah, a little. You're right he's a rookie, and he's done a lot more than was expected of him.

I still think he's just a big guy with a strong arm. Make him become creative, and he falls flat. If he were the Skins QB he would have sucked. The Lions and he would have been worse, etc

to throw out things that needlessly and falsely defame him speaks pretty lowly of many of you. At the least just your character, and at the most, your intelligence. The reason I get so irritated about it .

:applause::applause:

If they were so sure of JC's inabilities at QB they wouldn't need to fabricate criticism against him

Yeah, a little. You're right he's a rookie, and he's done a lot more than was expected of him.

I still think he's just a big guy with a strong arm. Make him become creative, and he falls flat. If he were the Skins QB he would have sucked. The Lions and he would have been worse, etc

And still he's a rookie QB coming out of Delaware and started 3 road playoff games for them.

And still he's a rookie QB coming out of Delaware and started 3 road playoff games for them.

Whose started 18 games in the NFL and was facing a team he's played twice before.

The rookie out of AA Delaware excuse wore out several starts ago. It's not like this was his first game.

That said the team around Flacco got them to the AFCCG, more than anything he did.

Flacco maybe a great QB someday, but given him all the credit for the Ravens' playoff run is just silly

Ok, so we've heard you state your case for why Flacco sucks. Now tell us why Campbell is so much better than Flacco, without trashing Flacco or making excuses for Campbell. I think you'd be hard pressed for a good argument.

Archived