Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN: Obama defense choices include lobbyist as deputy secretary

Redskins Diehard

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- President-elect Barack Obama, who campaigned on lessening lobbyist influence in government, has chosen a defense expert who is currently a vice president and lobbyist for one of the country's biggest defense contractors to be his deputy secretary of defense.

Obama's transition office announced that William Lynn, an undersecretary of defense in President Bill Clinton's second term, has been nominated as Defense Secretary Robert Gates' deputy.

Lynn is currently a senior vice president at Raytheon, which has billions of dollars in Defense Department contracts and is the maker of the Army's Patriot Missile system and the Tomahawk missile used by the Navy. The company is also developing a global positioning satellite communication system with the Air Force.

As deputy secretary, Lynn would be involved in the process of budgeting and acquisitions, in addition to running the day-to-day operations of the Defense Department.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/01/08/defense.appointments/index.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------

From a "Can't afford more of the same" commercial.....

"John McCain's chief adviser lobbies for oil companies, even from Russia and China. His campaign manager lobbies for corporations outsourcing American jobs. The campaign chairman he picked last year -- a bank lobbyist. If seven of McCain's top advisers are lobbyists, who do you think will run his White House? John McCain. We just can't afford more of the same."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/09/12/obama-ad-calls-out-mccain_n_125995.html

-------------------------------------------------------------

"His Undersecretary of Defense -- a defense lobbyist"

Not only did he select Lynn for an Undersecretary position...Undersecretary for Acquisition!!!:applause::applause:

But, {it's not like this is Secretary of State or something, he's got the support of both Repub's and Dem's, and is highly qualified for the position, so he shouldn't be disqualified automatically.}

How was that?:D

C+ at best:).

1) A stronger argument could certainly be made by not referencing "Secretary of State" and "highly qualified" in the same statement

2) I think we were looking for "pragmatic" somewhere in the perfect "yeah, but...."

----------------

Honestly this isn't a thread about an "unqualified Undersecretary for aquisitions" it is about "more of the same"

Quick,

someone come in and say:

But, {insert excuse here}

...the first thing I thought of went in the other direction...

"...and so it continues..." :rolleyes:

but u b rite 2, T <---- practicing for when I send my FIRST text ever :silly:

...slowly but Shirely, the partisanship over-bias inhibiting the making of objective even-handed assessments, has been awakening from it's post-election slumber, and is warm-n-comfy in it's cave...:cool:

...the first thing I thought of went in the other direction...

"...and so it continues..." :rolleyes:

but u b rite 2, T <---- practicing for when I send my FIRST text ever :silly:

...slowly but Shirely, the partisanship over-bias inhibiting the making of objective even-handed assessments, has been awakening from it's post-election slumber, and is warm-n-comfy in it's cave...:cool:

The first text seems to make more sense then the last paragraph...but yeah it would be nice to see an even-handed assessments from the Obamaniacs.(By the way, I support leaving Gates, the Blair pick, the Brennan pick, and am withholding judgement on the Panetta decision until we see what Kappes does)

The first text seems to make more sense then the last paragraph...but yeah it would be nice to see an even-handed assessments from the Obamaniacs.(By the way, I support leaving Gates, the Blair pick, the Brennan pick, and am withholding judgement on the Panetta decision until we see what Kappes does)

Wait, Obama picked Colt Brennan!?!?! He IS the Messiah after all!:silly:

The first text seems to make more sense then the last paragraph...but yeah it would be nice to see an even-handed assessments from the Obamaniacs.(By the way, I support leaving Gates, the Blair pick, the Brennan pick, and am withholding judgment on the Panetta decision until we see what Kappes does)

Expecting objectivity from someone who would legitimately be considered a "maniac for Obama" would seem a fools errand. :D

The also-fun paragraph, that you suggest was elusive in understanding, was made in support of Thiebear and his frequent non-partisan approach.:applause:

I was noting, as the words I wrote state, the limiting aspects strong partisanship often brings to any competent evaluation of such matters, with neither a right or left fixation singled out. :cool:

I agree with you point for point on the picks so you mentioned far. I think Obama has had a range of good to very questionable. I remain open-minded since people haven't even begun their job, and the challenges ahead would daunt even the most exceptional folk.

BTW, to me, and not aimed at you, reading terms like "Obamamaniac, usually prompt me to wonder how many of the people who embrace that term were likely Palin-worshipers of the same intellectual stripe, just for the other side. I sat that because it was particular form of hypocrisy I saw frequently on display during the campaign.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/01/23/campbell.brown.lobbyists/index.html

President Obama: "The executive order on ethics I will sign shortly represents a clean break from business as usual. As of today, lobbyists will be subject to stricter limits than under any other administration in history. If you are a lobbyist entering my administration, you will not be able to work on matters you lobbied on, or in the agencies you lobbied during the previous two years. When you leave government, you will not be able to lobby my administration for as long as I am president."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hmmmm, I wonder how his new rule pertains to Mr. Lynn?

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/01/23/campbell.brown.lobbyists/index.html

President Obama: "The executive order on ethics I will sign shortly represents a clean break from business as usual. As of today, lobbyists will be subject to stricter limits than under any other administration in history. If you are a lobbyist entering my administration, you will not be able to work on matters you lobbied on, or in the agencies you lobbied during the previous two years. When you leave government, you will not be able to lobby my administration for as long as I am president."

The minute he said that, I wondered how long it would take for a lobbyist to be found.

as stated previously:

President Obama: "The executive order on ethics I will sign shortly represents a clean break from business as usual. As of today, lobbyists will be subject to stricter limits than under any other administration in history.

If you are a lobbyist entering my administration, you will not be able to work on matters you lobbied on

(President-elect Barack Obama, who campaigned on lessening lobbyist influence in government, has chosen a defense expert who is currently a vice president and lobbyist for one of the country's biggest defense contractors to be his deputy secretary of defense.,)))

or in the agencies you lobbied during the previous two years. When you leave government, you will not be able to lobby my administration for as long as I am president."

PLEASE follow your OWN RULES.. for goodness sakes..

I can understand not following a rule someone else made to the letter.

BUT YOUR OWN?

*Fail*

Archived