Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Phd

MissU28

So I have a Mother, Stepfather, and brother who are all lawyers, and a father who earned a PHd in Chemistry.

I would never come on a public message board and brag that I own two businesses and make more money than all of them with my measly undergraduate degree. :2cents:

As long as the PhD isn't in any physical science, it's a great idea.

The idea of teaching college level classes intrigues me. To actually go to work with an entire class of students who WANT to be there?! I can't imagine;)

Anyway, I guess I'm asking for advice in pursuing a PHD. What costs can I expect? I'm already $30K in student loan debt for undergrad/grad school, so what's another $20K, right?:silly: What advice in regards to choosing a focus do you have? Does the school I get my PHD from make a huge difference?

A lot of it depends on the field you are in as to whether it is worth it or not. For example, in aerospace engineering if you are a good student, you don't pay for grad school. They give you a scholarship and pay you to do research (stipend). It's not a lot (when I went in the early 90's it was 20K/year) but enough to live on for four years. In this field, if you get a doctorate you will make significantly more than someone with a BS, get promoted quicker, and are given much more respect. So for an engineer, I would highly recommend getting a doctorate.

As to the question is the school name important: That is probably also very dependent on the field. In engineering your advisor and research are as important as the name on the diploma. I could see the name on the diploma being more important in other fields though. Some tier II schools have some phenomenal programs that best the top tier I schools.

I know some of my professors outside the math and sciences did not hold doctorates. They had masters. So I'm not sure you need to get your doctorate to teach at the next level. You need to talk to some people at local colleges about the requirements for your field and browse some college web sites for faculty positions.

Many of my friends are professors. Most are engineering/science, but a good friend is a history professor at Radford and another was an english prof at VT. Engineering and the sciences in general are definitely cut throat and seem to be a very stressful job. The need to maintain a strong research program and publish regularly takes it's toll on them. But the humanity professors seem to really enjoy their jobs. They are more like teachers, while the engineering professors are researchers bothered by having to teach. This is VT though and it may be very different at other colleges. VT is all about the research $$$ and teaching sometimes seems like an afterthought in the sciences.

You need to go talk to some professors in your field and see what they say. They will be able to give you the best advice.

Good luck.

You don't earn a PhD for the money. It is not a good investment from that standpoint. Period. Profs make ok money, but not great by any stretch of the imagination.

That said, you don't necessarily have to go into debt to get a PhD. THe calculus is obvious (and the schools know it), and it simply is not feasible to go into the levels of debt you have to pay for a M.D. or a J.D. degree, because PhD s won't make the cash upon graduation that docs and lawyers make... Sooooo, as a result, you can often get much more generous assistance packages in PhD programs than elsewhere. Usually, if you get a TA (teaching assistance) or RA (research assistance), you not only get paid <fairly poorly> but it pays off most of your tuition, as well. This ignores fellowships, that give you money, or pay tuition WITHOUT work.

As a grad student, I was poor... but didn't accumulate ANY debt.

However, the true cost is that you are deferring earning true career money for at least an additional 5 years (usually more... in my case, MUCH more). You are neither advancing in your specific chosen career (and advancing future earnings potential) nor earning now (and getting an early start on saving for retirement) while you are back in school. Furthermore, careers that call on PhDs tend to not be the high rolling variety...

<<<<<edit.... what the guy ABOVE me said... while i was typing ;)>>>>>

Just curious, PhD in what subject?

I'm interested in something like behavior sciences or brain research or something that allows me to take a look at people and figure out how they tick. Similar to psychology, I guess.

Something that I could use in case I ever decide teaching isn't my thing... a PHD in a subject with great potential.

And thank you to all for responding...again, I really haven't started considering this seriously, so I like hearing peoples' opinions. A PHD would not be to get more money...more for the prestige and self-value aspect of it.

Work towards a goal that will make you happy.

---------------------------------------------

I gots my G.E.D. From Fort Riley Kansas. I work 80hours a week, love my job, wont trade my hours of 6-2pm get the kids from school, play...rinse/repeat.

i study constantly though..

So....I am contemplating going for my PHD. Contemplating meaning I've thrown the idea around in my head for a while, but haven't started researching it seriously.

As many of you know, I am a teacher. I know for sure that I do not want to get a PHD in educational administration, as I have no desire whatsoever to be a principal.

The idea of teaching college level classes intrigues me. To actually go to work with an entire class of students who WANT to be there?! I can't imagine;)

Anyway, I guess I'm asking for advice in pursuing a PHD. What costs can I expect? I'm already $30K in student loan debt for undergrad/grad school, so what's another $20K, right?:silly: What advice in regards to choosing a focus do you have? Does the school I get my PHD from make a huge difference?

Just because they're parents paid don't assume they act much different.

I was on my way to getting a PhD but just dropped out in December due to the lack of funding and various other reasons. Personally, I would never have considered getting a PhD without the fellowships/funding. But they offered it to me, and like a dumbass I accepted.

If you do decide to go the number one thing I can stress is to make sure you get a good adviser. I had two major professors. They were very hands off, were hardly ever around, and one was a major ***** (every one of her students found a new professor or dropped out). I knew a few students with awesome advisers that practically got their hand held the whole way. Obviously, not everyone wants a hand out but it was a serious advantage for them in times of need (everyone has them).

IMO it doesn't really make a difference where you get your PhD in terms of getting a better job in the future. There are a few exceptions. And if you choose to get your degree in science you have a better chance of getting funding.

So....I am contemplating going for my PHD. Contemplating meaning I've thrown the idea around in my head for a while, but haven't started researching it seriously.

As many of you know, I am a teacher. I know for sure that I do not want to get a PHD in educational administration, as I have no desire whatsoever to be a principal.

Mother has a PhD in education. She is an adjunct professor, but also still has a full time teaching job which she's been doing for 30+ years. Sometimes she would come across advertisements for open positions, but she didn't want to leave the area,

I believe for the field, it will make a huge difference. There are way more people with PhDs than there are open positions in many fields. I'm pretty sure education is one of those.

And expect to be poor. You will make as much as the mailman.

By the way, If you decide not to teach you'll be very limited in finding a job. I have friends with a PhD that don't want to teach and can't get a job because they're overqualified. Also you will be considered and expert in that area only so it really narrows your options. Basically, if you aren't willing to relocate then you're screwed and if you are willing to relocate nothing is guaranteed.

I wouldn't do it because of this->

more for the prestige and self-value aspect of it.

The number one thing is that you have to enjoy it.

Ask yourself what you are seeking in undertaking a Ph.D.

It may lead to another career, or better income in certain situations.

But it is an investment in your own development as a person that will be with you for the rest of your life.

And as others have posted, given the investment in time and money you will be making, make sure the program you pick meets your goals and is worthy of what you are going to put into it.

But it is an investment in your own development as a person that will be with you for the rest of your life.

And as others have posted, given the investment in time and money you will be making, make sure the program you pick meets your goals and is worthy of what you are going to put into it.

well said

If you do decide to go the number one thing I can stress is to make sure you get a good adviser. I had two major professors. They were very hands off, were hardly ever around, and one was a major ***** (every one of her students found a new professor or dropped out). I knew a few students with awesome advisers that practically got their hand held the whole way. Obviously, not everyone wants a hand out but it was a serious advantage for them in times of need (everyone has them).

Definitely true. I knew some professors that treated their grad students as slave labor. They wouldn't let them get their degree because they were good and cheap. I know guys that took 8 years to get a PhD. On the other hand, my advisor pushed us to get out as quickly as possible. It only took me three years to get my PhD from my BS. He had his own company and hired most of us to work there upon completion. So his goals where different.

Definitely true. I knew some professors that treated their grad students as slave labor. They wouldn't let them get their degree because they were good and cheap. I know guys that took 8 years to get a PhD. On the other hand, my advisor pushed us to get out as quickly as possible. It only took me three years to get my PhD from my BS. He had his own company and hired most of us to work there upon completion. So his goals where different.

Yeah, in experimental science it will probably take a while. Took my brother 7 years. I think that is average.

But that's experimental science. Other fields are different. My other brother got his PhD in Mathematics in 4 years. Can't remember how long it took my mother, but it was only 4-5 if I remember right.

Archived