Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Nutrisystem - has anyone done this?

TrumanB

For those of you that exercise, I have some questions. I am NOT a morning person. Never will be. So, excerise for me is limited to after work on the weekdays. My questions:

Do you workout after work? If so, do you eat dinner BEFORE or AFTER your workout? Is there a difference? Does it matter?

Statement about not being a morning person sounds like me a couple of years ago. Anyway, I do workout after work now (as I said, I split my workout in two) and also use to do all of it after work. I do it BEFORE I eat. If you plan your eating life well, working out on an empty stomach is best. I get sick when I eat first, anyway. I have worked out drunk.

Gotta drop some pounds this upcoming year and I was wondering if anyone on here has tried Nutrisystem. I've been seeing the commercials lately with Chris Berman, Dan Marino, etc. and I'm curious about this diet plan.

So far, what I have read online on various sites has been mixed. A lot of what I have read, people are saying the food is horrible. It's also very expensive, around $300/month for the 28 day plan. That doesn't include the dairy, veggies, and fruits that they recommend you supplement with their meals. It appears to be all about portion control and limiting your calorie intake with these pre-packaged meals.

So, I was wondering, why not buy the pre-packaged stuff on your own. It would be a lot cheaper. All the grocery stores sell the Healthy Choice and Smart Ones frozen dinners. What's the difference?

Any advice?

Your best bet is just to look online for easy healthy recipes. I found some really good pasta meals with whole wheat pasta that have tasted pretty good and helped keep me in shape. A diet also means nothing if you don't exercise. People don't realize that and are frustrated when they don't see results, except what helps you get in shape is not just a good diet but also exercising. Just half an hour a day walking or biking should do it and if you want to go the extra mile sign up for a gym membership. But if you live in a decent neighborhood just take a half an hour walk. Coupled with the diet you'll see some definite results no time soon.

For those of you that exercise, I have some questions. I am NOT a morning person. Never will be. So, excerise for me is limited to after work on the weekdays. My questions:

Do you workout after work? If so, do you eat dinner BEFORE or AFTER your workout? Is there a difference? Does it matter?

I'm a swimmer and I can say that eating right before you exercise is a definite no-no lol. But I think the most effective way is to reduce portions and spread them out into 5 meals instead of 3. That way you will be eating less but at a more constant rate, keeping your body full of energy but with less calories. So then if you want to exercise after work just have a meal before you workout (maybe an hour or so before?) and then one after.

I'm a swimmer and I can say that eating right before you exercise is a definite no-no lol. But I think the most effective way is to reduce portions and spread them out into 5 meals instead of 3. That way you will be eating less but at a more constant rate, keeping your body full of energy but with less calories. So then if you want to exercise after work just have a meal before you workout (maybe an hour or so before?) and then one after.

Yes, I believe that is the best way to do it. When I worked out a few years ago, it just didn't seem like I had the energy after work. Going with a smaller lunch and a mid-afternoon snack is the way to go. I'm going to give that a try.

Its kind of like the poor mans personal nutritionist, but the rich mans weight watchers.

That's exactly how I've heard it described before.

Anyway one good tip for shopping at the grocery store:

The healthiest foods such as fresh produce, unprocessed meats and dairy products tend to be placed around the perimeter of the store. The unhealthy processed, junk and sugary foods are usually in the middle aisles.

Yes, I believe that is the best way to do it. When I worked out a few years ago, it just didn't seem like I had the energy after work. Going with a smaller lunch and a mid-afternoon snack is the way to go. I'm going to give that a try.

Obviously, I don't know you from a hole in the wall. But, I do want to add that we share some of the same problems :) And obviously, looked at some the same solutions.

The Nutrisystem method is based off the principles of the South Beach diet.... using the glycemic chart/level. It works. And the South Beach diet is a complete ripoff of the Atkins Diet.... but just with more emphasis on the glycemic chart and foods.

Unlike stupid diets that limit your caloric intake.... the South Beach/Atkins diet allows you to meat and vegetables and other foods which are relatively high in calories (ie. fats... and you can choose to eat the good fats). So, you aren't starving yourself.... your calories will remain the same, if not even exceed your current levels.

What this does.... even by portion control.... is that by eating proteins/meats and fats.... you stay fuller for longer periods.... because it takes your body longer to process these foods... than it does with carbohydrates.... so you don't ever get those low blood sugar levels drops with carbs.... and start binging or feeling always hungry or low in energy.

So yes, you are eating more..... and more smaller portions to keep your energy levels normalized. That's why people always remark how much more energy they have.

Eliminate useless calories from beverages..... drink water, teas and coffee :) And use artificial sweetner. I also occasionally drink no calorie colas like Zero Sprite or Coke Zero. And that way... when I want to drink alcohol.... I can use Vodka with Nestea Ice Tea (no sugar) and water.. or with Crystal Light (no sugar). Or I drink rum with my Coke Zero. So I can still party... without the restrictions of most diets that fail because they're too restrictive and unreasonable.

On Atkins.... you start off VERY restrictive (under 20 grams of carbs a day) for 2 weeks. It's a little bit of a PIA.... but after a week... you get into the routine and don't think twice about it. Under this phase.... you begin to lose serious weight.... particularly in those first 2 weeks. Atkins recommended that you don't stay in this phase longer than 6 months.... but you can start after the initial 2 weeks to increase your weekly intake of carbs by 5 grams each week.

And by adding carbs.... I mean adding good carbs. You add fruits like stawberries, raspberries, blueberries.... more fruits/vegetables that are higher in carbs.

And you keep increasing that each week by 5 grams UNTIL you've reached a plateau where your body won't lose any more weight or gain weight -- which is when you go into the other phases of the diet. When you've found that "number".... you stay there :) Of course, you add exercise.... you enhance everything further and can increase your carb intake further -- which you'll NEED to.

Your body takes awhile to adjust to the new diet and burning fuel more efficiently. But it only takes 2 weeks... so if you cheat... you're back to square 1 :) Not worth it... You'll find that your complexion will clear up too.

Also, take Omega 3 Fish Oils.. great for your cardiovascular system, your brain.... and good to lose weight too:

http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=910074

Frankly, everyone should be taking them. And start taking your multi-vitamins.... to account for any nutritional deficiencies.

If you have any questions... feel free to ask.

I went on the Atkins diet 6 years ago.... and lost 60 pounds in 6 months -- I didn't cheat once. I did it to look good for my wedding :) But it was an all inclusive trip (10 days in Jamaica) and we paid a handsome sum for it... so I wasn't going to short-change myself. And then I thought to myself... that it was so easy.... I wouldn't have a problem going back on it whenever I wanted.... and as it went longer.... the harder it became to make that commitment.

I made that commitment on Dec. 15th (a few weeks ago) and haven't looked back. No cheating. Heck, I used to have NIGHTMARES and guilt in my dreams about cheating on my diet.... and I remember waking up and feeling sick because I ruined all my hard work. I'm not as concerned about my "weight" this time.... so I'm not keeping measurements. I know what I want to look like... and that's my goal :)

And I've just begun to slowly add exercise.... not killing myself. Working my up from nothing.

I did a 2 month plan with nutrisystem and lost about 25 pounds, the food isn't bad but it's not good either. The real issue with the diet is how many times you end up visiting the toilet. Thats the part that got old for me, well that and the gas. I gained the weight back after getting off the plan. Mostly because I got too used to the being lazy. All of the meals were microwaved or cooked in the toaster oven, so when it was over I was stopping by wendy's because I didn't want to cook.

After researching some meal plans I am currently using a ketogenic diet that is low carb(similar to atkins) with a reloading (high carb phase) one day a week. You have to work out hard on the diet but its been fun and bacon always tastes good.

Do it when you can.. I workout when i get home from work..like 4:30 or 5. And I eat after I lift..I def eat less after i lift and do about 20 minutes of cardio..nothing special just shadow box. I also find working out in front of a mirror allows you to see your muscles work. Also lets you see just how fat you are..this is huge motivation for me. I am 6ft and was 213 a year ago. I'm 185 now and feel great.. Look pretty good too for 47 yrs old.I eat what I want in moderation.I do not go running as it kills my knees..my cardio is just to get the heart rate up so it's pretty low impact. Get an Ipod and fill it with your fav tunes.Just do it bro and dont quit. If you lift every other day and do cardio everyday by March you'll see a huge difference. Oh yea..Don't eat after 7:30pm drink a **** load of water. Hope it helps ..good luck keep us posted. peace.

Back to your original question..no I never did Nutrisystem

Obviously, I don't know you from a hole in the wall. But, I do want to add that we share some of the same problems :) And obviously, looked at some the same solutions.

If you read my cousins chipotle diet, http://www.chipotless.com it is essentially Atkins/South Beach/Whatever you want to call it. If you include the Guacamole in the Burritos, you get the fiber that most people miss out on in the Atkins program.

The advantage to Chipotle burrito diet is for people without will power or people who can't be "honest" and just eat small portions, well they have basically no choice in the meal but beef or chicken.

Some people might laugh at this diet, but if you actually read what is in it, it's organic meats and vegetables, fiber, low in bad carbohydrates. Trust me, it's much healthier than one of those freeze dried nutrisystem packets which my wife tried, and I ended up throwing away over time.

The only dietary tip I would add to any of the diets is EAT MORE FIBER.

Americans tend to not like to eat high fiber foods. :D

Anyway, read Chipotless and it's ingredients, then read nutrisystems artificial garbage. Of course, if you don't like CHipotle ;)

The only dietary tip I would add to any of the diets is EAT MORE FIBER.

Anyway, read Chipotless and it's ingredients, then read nutrisystems artificial garbage. Of course, if you don't like CHipotle ;)

Thanks bro'. I'll take a look into the website soon. I'll let you know what I think about it.

And you're right about fibre.... that's one of the "carbs" I'm going to be adding to my diet shortly.

People think these "diets" and quick fixes and temporarily... and advocate "lifestyle" changes. Those are the people who obviously haven't READ anything or know anything about the diets.... because the majority of these mainstream diets ARE lifestyle changing habits.... they are multiple phases/stages in each of these to continue progressing. And they suggest the same things that a lot of the "laymen" suggest... without knowing it. They just give you more specific details (ie. nutrition) and a game plan.... which most people don't offer :)

The reason why any "diet" or "lifestyle changes" often fail is the same reason why the person is obese to begin with.... lack of will power and focus (ie. proirities). But the knowledge is out there....

Do it when you can.. I workout when i get home from work..like 4:30 or 5. And I eat after I lift..I def eat less after i lift and do about 20 minutes of cardio..nothing special just shadow box. I also find working out in front of a mirror allows you to see your muscles work. Also lets you see just how fat you are..this is huge motivation for me. I am 6ft and was 213 a year ago. I'm 185 now and feel great.. Look pretty good too for 47 yrs old.I eat what I want in moderation.I do not go running as it kills my knees..my cardio is just to get the heart rate up so it's pretty low impact. Get an Ipod and fill it with your fav tunes.Just do it bro and dont quit. If you lift every other day and do cardio everyday by March you'll see a huge difference. Oh yea..Don't eat after 7:30pm drink a **** load of water. Hope it helps ..good luck keep us posted. peace.

Back to your original question..no I never did Nutrisystem

Agree about the mirror (it's great when you see your abs for the first time in a couple of years) and working out period.

One of the big things I learned was portion control when I first started the diet. I really didn't need their food as much as learning how to eat.

When I first started the diet (I had never dieted before) - I kept things very strict and to the letter....

I made little portions of food to pack and take w/ me to work -

Fridge.jpg

Edit - this pic above was first month of the diet....my fridge has much more crap in it now mixed in w/ the good stuff.

While this picture looks absolutely ridiculous - it worked for me. Now, to a much lesser extent, I still portion out snacks and my breakfasts (eggbeaters w/ veggies) so that when I'm hungry...I can just grab a reasonable portion and be on my way.

I got some of those little "use a couple times then throw away" plastic containers from Sysco and they worked beautifully.

Lots of luck to you on your goal. Just make up your mind to do it....find what works w/ you and stick to it.

Happy New Year.

GV

Well, that describes me (except the rich part). :silly:

I was actually thinking about doing a "modified" version of Nutrisystem. I really like the Smart Ones (Weight Watchers) frozen meals and could do those for lunch every day. I can get by with a healthy breakfast (fruits, low sugar cereals, etc.) without any problems. My biggest problem is dinner every night and all the meals on the weekends. That's where my lack of self control comes in. Picking up a Wendy's combo meal or ordering in Pizza or Chinese food for dinner during the week is what gets me. If I spent the time planning healthy dinners every night, I can afford to be lazy with breakfast and lunch. I think I just talked myself into this.

By the way, as will millions of others at the beginning of the new year, I will be joining the local gym. :silly: Let's see how long that lasts. :doh:

Education (be critical of sources), excercise (start realistic, build slow)perserverance (big time), and working on understanding (and then changing) your thinking about how, why, what, and when you eat are usually crucial aspects of meeting your goals in such matters. Best of luck. :)

I saw some of those Nutrisystem packages and they are LOADED with sodium. Just FYI.

Definitely a good point and you are correct....

Like many packaged foods - very high on sodium....I made sure to balance the lower sodium ones w/ the higher sodium ones.

Definitely make sure to add in a bunch of the fresh fruits and veggies to balance things out.

Education (be critical of sources)

Education of Americans is virtually IMPOSSIBLE.

The FDA a number of years ago came out and recommended diets low in SATURATED fat and high in soluble fiber.

What has transpired in America is people eating low or zero fat diets, high in carbohydrates and low or no fiber.

What does that lead to? Diabetes.

My sister in law is pre type II diabetic. What is she doing to combat it? She started taking a fat blocker/absorber tablet with her meals. She is too dumb to have a clue how to eat properly other than fat free fat free fat free....meanwhile that is what is making her sugar levels rise rise rise.

The FDA is now considering putting Heart Healthy labels on Olive Oil bottles because some Americans are so brainwashed into fat free foods that they are too dumb to understand that fat is not bad for you. The FDA was referring to SATURATED fat.

Oh, and remember just because you have a medical doctor, doesn't mean you have a medical doctor that understands nutrition. If you want education, try a nutritionist.

Just ask Zoony, a slice of white bread dipped in Olive oil is healthier than the white bread by itself. :D But if this doesn't make sense, well the education process will be long and hard. :cheers:

Education of Americans is virtually IMPOSSIBLE.

The FDA a number of years ago came out and recommended diets low in SATURATED fat and high in soluble fiber.

What has transpired in America is people eating low or zero fat diets, high in carbohydrates and low or no fiber.

What does that lead to? Diabetes.

My sister in law is pre type II diabetic. What is she doing to combat it? She started taking a fat blocker/absorber tablet with her meals. She is too dumb to have a clue how to eat properly other than fat free fat free fat free....meanwhile that is what is making her sugar levels rise rise rise.

The FDA is now considering putting Heart Healthy labels on Olive Oil bottles because some Americans are so brainwashed into fat free foods that they are too dumb to understand that fat is not bad for you. The FDA was referring to SATURATED fat.

Oh, and remember just because you have a medical doctor, doesn't mean you have a medical doctor that understands nutrition. If you want education, try a nutritionist.

Just ask Zoony, a slice of white bread dipped in Olive oil is healthier than the white bread by itself. :D But if this doesn't make sense, well the education process will be long and hard. :cheers:

I'm with you on this subject. I remember the whole "fat free" cookie phenomenon that went on a few years ago. They were called Snackwells. People were under the assumption that because they were "fat free" that they could eat a whole bag gulit free. Never mind that all of these "fat free" products are LOADED with sugar. Hence the tolerable taste.

With all of the venues that we have I just don't understand why people are still uneducated about this subject. I can't imagine how many people look at a label and see polyunsaturated or monounsaturated fats and put it back on the shelf not realizing they are beneficial fats and may help in lowering your cholesterol.

Grumpy Vet. You're looking good bud. Keep up the good work and get your ass to the gym before you become "skinny" fat.;)

Just wanted to throw in my bit of advice.

I think that exercise, no matter how intense or moderate, is a key to getting healthier. Sounds easy enough, but let's face it, it's REALLY tough to get into an exercise routine if you're not into one already. My advice would be to go see a personal trainer for a few months. I did this about a year ago and it helped me a lot. I grew up working out a lot but had gotten out of it for a few years, so just went and said "show me what to do". She showed me a whole new way of exercising that fit my wants and limitations and it helped me a lot. Once you start to see the benefits of it you'll get addicted to exercising. And for me, if i'm working out a lot I don't have to limit what I eat really. In fact, I lose weight best when I work out hard and eat what i want rather than working out and eating 1200 calories a day or something.

.....Grumpy Vet. You're looking good bud. Keep up the good work and get your ass to the gym before you become "skinny" fat.;)

Thanks KG - that is my goal this year...exercise....we moved in June to a house in the woods w/ a few acres...I've been getting exercise doing things around the house and yard but I need to do more. I've come to the realization chopping and splitting wood is not doing to me what it did to Rocky in his movies.

Mrs. GV got a Wii Fit for Xmas and so far she seems to like it....I may have to give that a shot.

Have a good New Year.

I'm with you on this subject. I remember the whole "fat free" cookie phenomenon that went on a few years ago. They were called Snackwells. People were under the assumption that because they were "fat free" that they could eat a whole bag gulit free. Never mind that all of these "fat free" products are LOADED with sugar. Hence the tolerable taste.

With all of the venues that we have I just don't understand why people are still uneducated about this subject. I can't imagine how many people look at a label and see polyunsaturated or monounsaturated fats and put it back on the shelf not realizing they are beneficial fats and may help in lowering your cholesterol.

Grumpy Vet. You're looking good bud. Keep up the good work and get your ass to the gym before you become "skinny" fat.;)

The problem is that people don't like to sacrifice. They want to look good naked while still getting to eat the whole bag of cookies. Anybody who promises to let people "cheat" without guilt will probably be believed. Heck, I've noticed this phenomena in all walks of life.

Archived