Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

One trend the Redskins need to copy

GRiggs

We all know that the NFL is a copycat league. One trend that the Redskins have not copied is using a fast speed-burning running back to spell Portis. Look at some of the better teams in the NFL, they have change-of-pace backs. The touchdown totals for back-up running backs have gone up considerably this season because the starter comes out and the faster quicker backup goes in and takes advantage of the worn-down defense.

Titans --> Chris Johnson & Lendall White (slower but wears the defense down)

Chargers --> LT & Sproles (sproles is much faster and gives the opposing defense a different look)

Giants --> Jacobs & Ward/Bradshaw

Falcons --> Turner & Norwood

Panthers --> Williams & Stewart

The Redskins on the other hand, give Portis a breather and send in Betts who, when fresh, is slower than Portis so the opposing defense does not have to adjust to a faster back. I think the Redskins should trade Betts for some draft picks and consider copying this successful trend.

This year was definitely not a year for every-down backs, and I agree that it would be nice to have a change of pace back.

However, Portis needs a lot of carries to get momentum, I just cant see him playing a couple of plays, sitting out, coming back in, etc and still being effective

I was just checking the list of free agents after this season and Derrick Ward and Darren Sproles are both going to be FA. Since Sproles will probably be re-signed I think we should go after Ward, we can fill a need and weaken the Giants.

OK, what do you guys think about signing Sproles if we can in the offseason, using this draft for mainly linemen, and a LB, then next year draft a real bruiser of a back as Portis's eventual replacement? Then we would have the faster back to spell Portis now, and still have him to spell our 2nd year starting running back after CP retires after the 2010 season.

I absolutely, unequivocally agree with you. We can have a real three headed monster if we can just get a speedy game breaker for us there. Definitely something to look into... and it shouldn't cost us much. Those guys are not hard to find.

LOL, the last thing we need is a RB. Our RB's are fine IMO, and I believe our tandem should be considered top 10 if not top 15. We also have a top 5 RB. Rb is not a need, but could be looked at. If we can improve our O-line play, it will make Betts and Portis look a whole lot better.

It all starts with the line. Why do you think Cleveland and Houston have stunk it up since they came into the league? Because they neglected their offensive line and drafted flashy QB's with their super-high picks. Drafting stud linemen will also help out JC.

I will say this, Portis is due for a nasty injury. He has a lot of miles. Betts is a great complimentary back but is older than CP. We should bring in some youth. I still think Marcus Mason should be brought in.

Mason should never have been let go. Find a spot for him on the roster; we ended up carrying four RBs for a while anyway when Betts was banged up.

The runningback I'd want is Buffalo Bills back Fred Jackson. The guy can play. I've liked him all season, and I think he's better than Marshawn Lynch, honestly.

Every time he hits a pile you see the pile move a yard or two and then you see him go down. He runs hard, but he has the ability to break some long ones. He's a very good back and he's fun to watch.

2007 stats: 58 carries, 300 yards, 5.2 YPC. 22 receptions for 190 yards.

2008 stats: 130 carries, 571 yards, 4.4 YPC, 3 TD. 37 receptions for 317 yards.

Only issue is I'm not sure he's an FA.

Titans --> Chris Johnson & Lendall White (slower but wears the defense down)

Chargers --> LT & Sproles (sproles is much faster and gives the opposing defense a different look)

Giants --> Jacobs & Ward/Bradshaw

Falcons --> Turner & Norwood

Panthers --> Williams & Stewart

Those teams have young and/or talented Offensive Lines... Our problem this year is that our OL had problems getting to the 2nd level. We might need to think about changing our running game.

Archived