Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Commute from Baltimore to DC

brianforster

So I might be getting a job in DC and I was wondering if any of you had experience with this, or maybe your spouse/friend does. Either way I am looking for some general tips.

I may be getting offered a spot in the DC Teaching Fellows and begin teaching elementary school in a DC public school. If anyone has any experience with this they can chime in too.

So far it looks like I could take a MARC train from Penn to Union which would take about an hour. From there I am not sure which school I would be placed at so I don't know how much longer the commute will be. I know that the placement says it will be in an under resourced public school so I am assuming the worst, can anyone give me a list of such schools in the DC area?

Relocation is always an option, but I would prefer to stay in/around b-more. Don't ask me why, I just love this place. (I'd also prefer if we dont start arguing the two cities..)

Would I be crazy for considering this? Would the commute slowly make me miserable?

I feel as though a teacher can definitely find ways to spend an hour of train time (what with all my old teachers complaining about how busy they were) whereas a car ride home that long every day would probably drive me crazy.

Anyways, your input would be appreciated.. I can't find a job anywhere in this market and the starting salary for the DC teacher is much higher than any of the jobs I was even being considered for around here.

Actually commutted from my parents' home in Catonsville to my internship in Arlington last year. Took the MARC from Halethorpe and 40 mins later i was at Union. From there I took the red to metro center then got on the orange. Total commute time was about 1hour 30 mins which kinda sucked after about 2 months but I suspect it is still alot better than driving.

If you do go this route and have to use the MARC and Metro I would suggest going online and getting the monthly pass. I paid about $200/month and recieved what looked like a metro card and gave me unlimited rides on MARC and Metro for the entire month. Great deal.

I sure hope a teaching job comes with telecommuting and flex scheduling options ;)

Sorry, didn't see that part.

Either get a job closer to Baltimore if you prefer it there, or move closer to the job in DC if you value your time and sanity.

Either way try to work reasonably close to home if possible.

I think the train is probably best. I get to Balt. from Silver Spring via either Colesville/Colombia Pike or 95 depending on the time of day. Both can work, but both can get bogged down. Those 45 minutes on the train can give you some lesson planning or grading time that will be stress free. To me, that would be worth the price of not dealing with traffic.

Sorry, didn't see that part.

Either get a job closer to Baltimore if you prefer it there, or move closer to the job in DC if you value your time and sanity.

Either way try to work reasonably close to home if possible.

At this rate, I am not sure if it is possible :(. I have a liberal arts degree and little experience other than an internship at a law firm for experience.

Unfortunately I do not wanna pursue a career in the legal field, so I have been left applying for every entry level job I can find. A few good interviews and "were impressed with you but gave the position to someone who's experience more closely matches what we are looking for" but no offers.

This position will be about 12k more than most of the positions I have been applying for, and I want to make sure that relocating is first and foremost financially the better option with convenience coming in a close second. If I have to spend 5k more a year on rent and I only save 30 minutes a day, I think I might just deal with the long commute.

Why the heck would you want to stay in Baltimore when you could move to DC????

Oh, wait, this isn't that kind of thread :paranoid:

ANYWAY, there are a lot of people that take the MARC to/from Baltimore/DC so it can't be SO bad. I personally cannot imagine making that commute every day.

Keep in mind though that teaching can be a really draining job physically and mentally, and there could be times when you have some odd hours - getting out of work earlier or later. You might do research as to how often the trains run (if you haven't already) earlier in the afternoon.

I think there are advantages and disadvantages to not living in the same city in which you teach, and you should think about those as well.

I would ask whoever has offered you the job if they know of any other teachers who make that commute. Obviously they would be the ones who know if it's worthwhile or not :silly:

Good luck!!!!!!!!

Why the heck would you want to stay in Baltimore when you could move to DC????

Oh, wait, this isn't that kind of thread :paranoid:

ANYWAY, there are a lot of people that take the MARC to/from Baltimore/DC so it can't be SO bad. I personally cannot imagine making that commute every day.

Keep in mind though that teaching can be a really draining job physically and mentally, and there could be times when you have some odd hours - getting out of work earlier or later. You might do research as to how often the trains run (if you haven't already) earlier in the afternoon.

I think there are advantages and disadvantages to not living in the same city in which you teach, and you should think about those as well.

I would ask whoever has offered you the job if they know of any other teachers who make that commute. Obviously they would be the ones who know if it's worthwhile or not :silly:

Good luck!!!!!!!!

You bring up a great point, I am already envisioning how epic and inconveniencing missing a train to or from would be.

You bring up a great point, I am already envisioning how epic and inconveniencing missing a train to or from would be.

There are clearly a ton of people that MARC it every day, but for a job such as teaching where you might not have the most regular hours, I'd imagine it's a bit more difficult to schedule your commute around the train. Also, think of those nights when you have to stick around for parent-teacher conferences or other school events. So long as you had the option to drive sometimes it might not be as bad. I just can't rationalize making that kind of commute every day.

Like I said though, I'd ask around the school where you'd be teaching to find out if anyone else does it.

First off, congrats on the new job.

I would take the train everyday rather than sit through that commute. It is completely not worth it. I would take the train sometimes from DC to Baltimore and back when I would go to Camden yards. Smartest thing I ever did, totally relaxing, can sit back and listen to some music, read the paper or just take a quick nap.

From Union station you are already on the Metro line once you get off the MARC. It will probably be a lot shorter and definitely a lot easier.

Is teaching what you really want to do? It doesn't sound like it, but I could be wrong.

It's a very stressful job, especially the first year, and especially at an under resourced school in an urban school system. Unless you came from a similar type of public school system you're going to see things you never imagined you'd see in a school.

As far as the commute, there are two ways to look at it. Either you get some nice, focused time to get your grading and things done, or it's two hours added onto an already long day. Depends what kind of person you are.

Is teaching what you really want to do? It doesn't sound like it, but I could be wrong.

It's a very stressful job, especially the first year, and especially at an under resourced school in an urban school system. Unless you came from a similar type of public school system you're going to see things you never imagined you'd see in a school.

As far as the commute, there are two ways to look at it. Either you get some nice, focused time to get your grading and things done, or it's two hours added onto an already long day. Depends what kind of person you are.

I'll admit that teaching wasn't my first choice. The reason I am not sounding too excited is because while all of the information I have recieved thus far has led me to believe I will be offered a position in the program (www.dcteachingfellows.org) I have been through a lot the past 6 months trying to find a post-graduation job.

If I were to get a concrete offer I would be much more enthusiastic. I understand that it will be stressful but its the jump start I need to get my career and life together. I have always been pretty good at explaining things to people, and I am looking forward to learning how to become a teacher.

The program has a full time training program for five weeks that starts in january, luckily this program takes place in baltimore as a part of the baltimore city teaching residency. This is what I originally applied for but was "waitlisted" and then forwarded to the DC teaching fellows.

Ideally, I would have been super excited to teach in the BCTR, I love living in Baltimore and have made a group of friends here that I do not wish to give up. Thats just me being a little resistant to let go of the past (college).

Even though I don't want to leave B-more, due to my lack of success in finding a job, theres no way I could turn down a real concrete offer. The fellows program benefits me in so many ways, great starting salary for someone with a liberal arts degree, great job security in these times, student loan forgiveness, help buying houses, the benefits.

I understand that I may be frowned upon as some as not being "its about the kids I just want to teach" but I can assure you that I do not half-ass anything when people are counting on me. I make sure to save the lazyness for my personal time.

I am in a bunch of student loan/credit card debt and I want to pay this down as soon as possible, with the credit cards being the first priority. I would rather not move to a suburb of dc/dc itself and spend way more than I currently am (430-460 a month total depending on bge bill) and only save 30 minutes off of a commute. If traffic is going to cause me to take an hour to get into whichever school I am placed at in DC, I mid as well live in baltimore and take the marc train and keep my sweet cheap rent.

Thanks for all the input guys, I love forums and its great to have one where most of the users are local!

Archived