Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

K-Rods A Met!!!

Hitman#21

Click here: ESPN - Source: New York Mets agree to three-year deal with Francisco Rodriguez

The New York Mets agreed to a three-year deal with free-agent closer Francisco Rodriguez a source told ESPN on Tuesday. Rodriguez's deal, worth $37 million plus additional incentives, is pending a physical. It is a one-year increase over the two years and $24 million the Mets are said to have initially offered the closer, who broke the major league single-season saves record last season with 62.FoxSports.com previously had reported that the Mets had offered Rodriguez a third year.

The Mets, whose bullpen was a major culprit in the team's second straight September swoon, are in need of a front-line closer to replace the injured Billy Wagner, who likely will miss all of 2009 following elbow surgery.

The contract would pay Rodriguez about $3 million more than he was offered by the Los Angeles Angels in spring training and $6 million less than Wagner's deal with the Mets.

This is great great news, lets hope this is the 1st of many good signings this offseason!

I couldnt disagree with you more he wanted 5/75 and the mets only gave him 3 yrs, it was a steal. this isnt a closer this is a record breaking closer.

Wow, a record breaking closer!

Saves are based on circumstances, so if the Mets go out and suck next year and don't get him a lot of save chances, you pissing away 12 million a year that could be better spent on someone who plays every day.

Meanwhile someone like Lidge who was perfect at closer for Philly made 6 million last year. JJ Putz makes 4 million, Broxton made less than a million. Joe Nathan made 6 million. Kevin Gregg was dirt cheap for the Marlins at 2.5 million.

So because the Angels got Rodriguez a lot of save opportunities, he's some miracle worker who deserves 12 million a year. Right.

how many 1 batter saves did K-Rod have last season?

http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2008/9/4/607253/the-worst-season-of-franci

Bottom Line he still got the job done and is only 27

I will refrain from making any jokes about his arm falling off until I'm sure that the Yankees don't actually sign AJ Burnett.....

Hes never been hurt in his career before.

Saves are based on circumstances, so if the Mets go out and suck next year and don't get him a lot of save chances, you pissing away 12 million a year that could be better spent on someone who plays every day.

Meanwhile someone like Lidge who was perfect at closer for Philly made 6 million last year. JJ Putz makes 4 million, Broxton made less than a million. Joe Nathan made 6 million. Kevin Gregg was dirt cheap for the Marlins at 2.5 million.

So because the Angels got Rodriguez a lot of save opportunities, he's some miracle worker who deserves 12 million a year. Right.

The Mets have the money and there spending it, they didint trade the farm for him. And Lidge signed a contract extention midseason 3 yrs 37.5 million. kevin gregg and JJ putz were terrible this yr terrible.

The Mets bullpen blew something like 23 saves last year. K-rod only blew 7 on 69 opportunities. The Mets only lost the wild card race to the Brewers by one game and the division by 3 games. K-rod might be the difference between the Mets making the playoffs and missing completely.

The Mets bullpen blew something like 23 saves last year. K-rod only blew 7 on 69 opportunities. The Mets only lost the wild card race to the Brewers by one game and the division by 3 games. K-rod might be the difference between the Mets making the playoffs and missing completely.

Exactly!

And the yr before they lost the divison by one game, its not like there a rebuilding team.

This isn't going to get them into the playoffs. They still need two starting pitchers, at least another two guys in the bullpen, a second basemen and possibly a first baseman or left fielder. They're probably going to get a Huston Street or Bobby Jenks to come in and pitch the 8th. That needs to happen.

Honestly, it's tough to get that excited over this signing. It seemed pretty inevitable. I'm just glad they didn't break the bank to sign him.

There's still a ton of work left for Omar to do.

All these stats are deceptive, because some of those players aren't even free agents, and you have to look at what the recent market has produced to tell whether the Mets are getting a good deal.

Recent free market deals for closers for the alst few years include:

Francisco Cordero (Reds): 4 years, $46 million ($11.5 mil/yr)

Brad Lidge (Phillies): 3 yrs, $37.5 million ($12.5 mil/yr)

Billy Wagner (Mets): 4 yrs, $43 million ($10.75 mil/yr)

Mariano Rivera (Yankees): 3 yrs, $45 million ($15 mil/yr)

Compare that to K-Rod: 3 yrs, $37 million ($12.33 mil/yr)

Considering that free agent contracts keep going up, I'd say the Mets got a steal for one of the best closers in the game right now.

And other Met fans are right that the Mets have fallen 1-2 games short of the playoffs the last two years, and the bullpen was pretty much the main reason. This plugs this gaping hole, and I couldn't think of a better way for the Mets to spend $12 million myself.

All these stats are deceptive, because some of those players aren't even free agents, and you have to look at what the recent market has produced to tell whether the Mets are getting a good deal.

Recent free market deals for closers for the alst few years include:

Francisco Cordero (Reds): 4 years, $46 million ($11.5 mil/yr)

Brad Lidge (Phillies): 3 yrs, $37.5 million ($12.5 mil/yr)

Billy Wagner (Mets): 4 yrs, $43 million ($10.75 mil/yr)

Mariano Rivera (Yankees): 3 yrs, $45 million ($15 mil/yr)

Compare that to K-Rod: 3 yrs, $37 million ($12.33 mil/yr)

Considering that free agent contracts keep going up, I'd say the Mets got a steal for one of the best closers in the game right now.

And other Met fans are right that the Mets have fallen 1-2 games short of the playoffs the last two years, and the bullpen was pretty much the main reason. This plugs this gaping hole, and I couldn't think of a better way for the Mets to spend $12 million myself.

There's apparently a 4th year vesting option and the details aren't exactly clear. I've heard it's for $14 million. That makes it a 4-year $51 million contract.

Still not a bad deal. K-Rod is 27. He still has some years in front of him.

There's apparently a 4th year vesting option and the details aren't exactly clear. I've heard it's for $14 million. That makes it a 4-year $51 million contract.

Still not a bad deal. K-Rod is 27. He still has some years in front of him.

The option is if he pitches a certain amount of innings of year 2 in the deal.

Archived