Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mad Mikes photography thread

Mad Mike

So it was delivered Friday and I went out to Ocala National forest to try it out today. I love this camera. I'm just posting a few of the best pictures here. If you want, you can check out my flickr page to check out the larger versions and the rest with a map of the area they were taken. The photos were shot in program mode with color saturation cranked up a little. The effect on some of the photos is not HDR. It is an adjustment of the dynamic range in photoshop.

(The shuttle launch photos on the flickr page were taken with my old 4 megapixel Olympus a couple of weeks ago.)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22542394@N06/

My favorite of the day. One of the many Florida springs. No effects.

3087941311_20ed3b0a85.jpg

A sample of the psudo HDR effect.

3087926757_a529c93afc.jpg

This deer was one of a family of four in the parking area of one of the parks.

3087918711_ec2dea28dc.jpg

And... My baby. :D

3088768808_253648fe5d.jpg

It's SICK the way cameras these days make people like you look like professionals. LOL J/K

Great pics! And I have to disgaree. The second pic is the best! Every single night here on the Cape Fear River, that pic could be taken . . . but better when there isn't clouds. The bright pink in the sky is AWESOME!

It's SICK the way cameras these days make people like you look like professionals. LOL J/K

Great pics! And I have to disgaree. The second pic is the best! Every single night here on the Cape Fear River, that pic could be taken . . . but better when there isn't clouds. The bright pink in the sky is AWESOME!

Thanks. I cant lie, A good camera helps. :-)

skinsfan07 - Thanks. If you click on the link in my first post you can see all of the photos in full size. The photos of the moon and the deer are cropped way down as a way of zooming in at screen resolution. But if you click on a photo in flickr and then click the "all sizes button on that page you can get a large version. I don't have a paid account with them so I cant upload the full original size but it should do.

I don't mind if anyone wants to use my images for private use. In fact I would be honored. All I ask is that they are not redistributed, used in comercal work, or sold. for that you can contact me and we can work out a fee.

A few more small ones...

Same scene as the one you guys like with a vertical composition in grey.

3087922121_53ba2a431b.jpg?v=0

I just thought this old sign was cool. I had to crop in a bit and photoshop out an ugly bit of metal.

3087950317_8bdc0ba554.jpg?v=0

The woods were beautiful.

3088774688_eab25f6695.jpg?v=0

And for those who missed the shuttle launch pictures... (wish I had the D90 for that, the resolution and better metering would have been nice)

3040003024_d04b053db3.jpg?v=0

Nicely done Mike. The D90 is a very nice camera. My stepmom has been talking about getting one as well.

Thanks. I thought about getting the D80 with the killer 17-200 VR lens that I really want but I'm glad I went with the better camera. THe D80 is already a couple of years old. The 17-105 VR that came with the D90 is pretty nice. I'm thinking of the 70-300 VR lens later on and maybe a nice short prime lens for ultra crisp wide angles and close ups.

The 17-200 is amazing though. 1-1 to a big zoom with VR makes a great walking around lens without having to cary a bag full of gear but it's expensive for a jack of all trades and master of none.

But still damn fun to have.:) A real shock to the system are the fixed focal length lenses. Yikes. I've used the 17-200 lens and was thoroughly impressed,(which may not say much). Economic reasons aside, I also like the versatility of the zoom lenses. Like you said, easier than carrying around that big bag of gear and you never know what you're going to run into out there while taking pics. Have fun with that camera, that's the important part. :)

But still damn fun to have.:) A real shock to the system are the fixed focal length lenses. Yikes. I've used the 17-200 lens and was thoroughly impressed,(which may not say much). Economic reasons aside, I also like the versatility of the zoom lenses. Like you said, easier than carrying around that big bag of gear and you never know what you're going to run into out there while taking pics. Have fun with that camera, that's the important part. :)

Fuji had a medium format camera with a fixed lens I used back in the day... can't remember the name but it was amazing!

That said, have you figured out how to shoot raw on that camera? Thats my next thing to do ;)

That Mike,is what is known as a very high end DSLR camera. From Hassleblad. Sucker has everything. Of course, it costs more than some very nice cars, so when you see someone using something like that, they're serious about their photography. And then some.

That Mike,is what is known as a very high end DSLR camera. From Hassleblad. Sucker has everything. Of course, it costs more than some very nice cars, so when you see someone using something like that, they're serious about their photography. And then some.

Ahhhh.... I know about Hasselblad. Just hadn't seen one of the newer DSLRs. Just too expensive to even think about. :(

I think if I really wanted to get that super high quality image, I would need to shoot film and get a used Hasselblad medium format. For now I'll stick to dreaming about Nikons new D3x

I keep playing with this new technique I found. It doesn't work well with every image but when it does work, it rocks.

3090389339_926a0a2e24.jpg?v=0

3090394331_a32d6c9e6a.jpg?v=0

Good stuff man, keep em coming.

I liked the Cafe sign, too.

I believe a photographers eye can be developed. Think about it, we're blasted with a million sights a day from every single direction...we know what looks good and we know what doesn't.

When you look through that lens, you know what looks good...and the more you look and shoot, they more you'll realize that you can take photos all day.

I like the first one. I do belive you could crush the bass with a fake mouse on top of that geen stuff. That was my favorite kind of bass fishing.:laugh:

Just caught this. That's not green stuff. That's a spring. it is all very shallow. The brown was a kind of grass, the greenish part is sand colored by the water, and the blue is the deeper bowl where the spring itself is.

Sorry, no fishing here but just up the river is a really big lake. I'm planning on giving it a shot one day. :cheers:

Thanks everyone. I think this is all for this shoot. There are a few more on my flickr page. I think I will keep uploading to this thread in the future and maybe change the name of the thread to Mad_Mikes photography thread or something. Hopefully PCS and others will do the same. I love seeing everyones work.

I'll have to post the last professional shot I took with my Olympus next. I'm really proud of it. I got a chance to submit a poster design for the 60th anniversary of the Peabody Auditorium here in Daytona Beach and won. It's based around a photo of their 15' Concert Grand Piano I took. They printed a thousand posters and are doing Tshirts next. I'll try to put it up tonight.

3087947307_61ba5bf845.jpg?v=0

That one is quite cool. Very nice work, man!

Thanks. I took that one through the windshield while driving. LOL, no great skill. I didn't even frame it. I just pointed the camera with one hand and snapped. I did it about ten times and this one shot came out kind of cool.

The car guy in me LOVES the roads out there. Miles and miles of smooth asphalt winding through the woods and very little traffic.

:cheers:

OK. Here it is. One of my better works. Having the chance to compete in the contest, I called up the auditorium to see if I could photograph their piano. As luck would have it it was already sitting center stage and they said yes. So I grabbed my camera and ran. The stage manager was kind enough to put some nice lights up and direct me to a ladder where I took the shot from. (I had the shot in my mind from the start). Everything just came together.

Ironically two weeks after the photo was taken the piano suffered water damage and they are selling the posters to help pay for the repairs. A few weeks later and the camera that took the photo bit the dust.

Oh yeah, the tough part was editing out the ugly wheel carriage that it was sitting on in photoshop.

So, anyway....

3093285571_c3634f2b08.jpg

Archived