Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP: Redskins' Zorn hopes his 'whining' days are over

BigRedskinDaddy

Originally posted by bubba in Breaking News:

http://www.wtop.com/?nid=293&sid=1538199

Click link for entire article

Redskins' Zorn hopes his 'whining' days are over

ASHBURN, Va. (AP) - Not only did Jim Zorn whine, he swore.

For an NFL coach to admit that he was whining? That's a rarity.

For Zorn to swear, that's even rarer.

The over-burst of emotion by the Washington Redskins rookie coach on the sideline during Sunday's 23-7 loss to the New York Giants has been bothering Zorn all week.

The candid coach addressed his assistants about it on Monday and called his behavior "very embarrassing" during his weekly radio show. He has sheepishly mentioned it - usually without prompting - several times this week talking to the media.

"I think I can be fiery and competitive," Zorn said Thursday, "but I'd rather encourage in that sense and not whine, and I think I was whining. It was just little trivial things. That even makes me think about it right now - how frustrating that must be to another person to get attacked for trying to do his job well for no particular reason other than he happened to be the next guy in my way. That's not a good reason to do that.

"If that's what's going on inside of me, then I've got struggles, I've got problems. That's why I sound like I'm frustrated about it."

Zorn was grouchy all game, throwing his play sheet and yelling at everyone - including the ballboy. At one point, the screaming got so loud that offensive coordinator Sherman Smith had to take off his headset in the upstairs coaches' booth - and even then he could still hear his boss through the headset as it sat on the table.

From the first game of the season, Zorn has been a walking contradiction, a coach who preaches "medium" to his players during the week, then bounces up and down through a wide range of emotions on game days. In his year of on-the-job learning as the head man, he said he's realized this week that his excitability needs to be flavored the right way.

"It wasn't what I wanted to portray to my team. ... If I'm willing to listen and I'm willing to be approachable, I think I'll grow," Zorn said. "Those are the things I'm trying to do as a head coach."

Zorn's irritability was kicked into gear in the first quarter, when his rush team just stood there after the Giants flubbed a snap on an extra point. Despite the bobble, New York's kicker had plenty of time to reset and kick the ball through the uprights.

Wrong formations and blown chances on offense only made things worse. Eventually, the ball boy caught the brunt of Zorn's ire for not getting a dry ball into the game for a punt.

But the moment Zorn said he regretted most came when he uttered a choice word within earshot of his 13-year-old son, Isaac, who works on the sideline running errands during games.

"I said a cuss word," Zorn said. "Normally I don't cuss. My son heard it, which I'm not excited about. I always have to pay him money if I say a cuss word. I pay him a buck. He's not very wealthy."

Normally this is the time of year when rookie players start to wear down physically, so Zorn was asked if he was concerned about becoming emotionally tired in his first year of handling his numerous responsibilities, which include formulating the offense and calling the plays.

"I've been thinking about that this week," Zorn said. "I've got a lot of energy, and I've been working hard to try to make sure that I don't let down a lick, that I'm really pushing. I don't feel bored. I'm not trying to keep it boring. I'm not allowing some of the distractions that could very emotionally heavy, like losing three of the last four, that could drain you. I'm trying to keep pushing.

This is his first year. He'll get it 2gether. Alot of players react the same way when things go wrong during the game and he still has that player mentality. He he just has to learn that he has to lead by example and practice what he preaches cuz he's no longer a player. He's now tryin to establish himslf as an NFL Head Coach and I believe he'll get it 2gethr.

Atleast nobdy can question whethr or not he's upset when the offense is strugglin. His actions on the sidelines show that he really does give a damn.

Im glad the article mentioned the missed pat because Im not done WHINING about the lack of situational awareness on that play where the giants bobbled the ball, brewed some coffee, took out the trash, caught a cat nap, and finally kicked it through the uprights. Some BS that was! WTF!!!

Somebody better get these guys ready to play in all facets of the game, pretty damn quick or we have no chance. Im sick of Danny Smith's special teams efforts. They certainly are special. FOR ALL THE WRONG REASONS! Ok I feel better now! Just like Zorn did. Im glad he was pissed, they all should be at this point. Hopefully it translates into aggressive play on the field!

HTTR!

I honestly don't see this as an issue at all. But good of him to recognize. As far as I'm concerned, a little yelling/passion on the sidelines never hurt anyone. This is a violent sport- a man's game. The head coach yelling should be the least of everyone's problems.

I honestly don't see this as an issue at all. But good of him to recognize. As far as I'm concerned, a little yelling/passion on the sidelines never hurt anyone. This is a violent sport- a man's game. The head coach yelling should be the least of everyone's problems.

"It wasn't what I wanted to portray to my team. ... If I'm willing to listen and I'm willing to be approachable, I think I'll grow," Zorn said. "Those are the things I'm trying to do as a head coach."

In other words, Zorn wants to be *****-like which is terrific IMO.

Well, after seeing what happened on that botched extra point blunder, I would have walked, soccer referee style to danny smith and "given him a pink card." And then cut every player on the field at the time and found some schlub in the stands wearing the same jersey to take their place. And then I would have cussed out the remaining coaches and players and possibly cut somebody else on the spot to make a point. And then probably yelled some more. I mean, I was doing it in the stands, so I can't imagine why I wouldn't have done it on the sidelines. There might have been 3 people left standing after that rage passed.So he did better than me.

I think it proves that he's willing to listen and learn, and that can't possibly be a bad thing.

I won't hijack this thread with the topic, but I do believe Danny Smith needs to go.

In other words, Zorn wants to be Obama-like which is terrific IMO.

In other words, WTF??

As much as I may agree, this is the wrong forum for that. Try the Tailgate, and don't bring anything political/religious/anything in here or you'll get torn to shreds. I've seen it before.

Agreed. Sometimes I think Zorn's insistence on "keeping it medium" translates to a lack of fire/passion/intensity/insert your own adjective here from his players. That said, the greatest coach this game's ever known (rhymes with ribs) wasn't the most fiery guy on the sidelines.

Now and then he would kick some tail though. Not often, but just enough to keep his guys honest...

What the f are you talking about? Do you personally know Barack Obama?

I'll just say that I'm not so certain of that analogy...

This article says so much about Zorn. He's willing to recognize his shortcomings and admit them publicly, and he's willing to commit to working to improve. I have said in other threads recently that I'm concerned about exactly what Zorn said in this article -- that he needs to be more medium so others will be more receptive to what he has to say. Being less emotional also probably will help him with making adjustments during the course of a game.

LOL about swearing in front of his 13 year old son and having to pay him. My older child made a fortune as an infant as one of his grandfathers slowly broke his swearing habit.

"I think I can be fiery and competitive," Zorn said Thursday, "but I'd rather encourage in that sense and not whine, and I think I was whining. It was just little trivial things. That even makes me think about it right now - how frustrating that must be to another person to get attacked for trying to do his job well for no particular reason other than he happened to be the next guy in my way. That's not a good reason to do that.

It's not a question of his yelling and showing emotion. What I get from this is, what he was yelling about and how he did so is what bothered and bothers him. That he recognizes this is a very good thing. Another part of being a good leader.

It's not a question of his yelling and showing emotion. What I get from this is, what he was yelling about and how he did so. That he recognizes this is a very good thing. Another part of being a good leader.

Agreed. To have that kind of maturity is incredible for a first-year coach. If I were Zorn, then I'd be scared ****less and would probably go off a hell of a lot more than I'd like. For him to not only recognize but actually publicly admit and try to SOLVE it is absolutely amazing.

He gained a ton of my respect with that article.

I love Zorn the man. He impresses me more every time I read an interview with him. I just hope he can turn this thing back around as a coach...this season is headed towards disaster.

But hey, it took an ugly loss to the Giants in week 1 to get the Redskins to take things seriously and go on a nice winning streak. Maybe we are in for a repeat. We'll see what happens against the Ravens.

Archived