Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Atheist sign joins nativity scene, tree at Washington State Capitol building**Update

ljs

And Christians talking of irony at the hardened hearts comment? ROFLMAO.

Maybe you're not so intellectual after all. :)
No atheist has ever told a child that they will be tortured by fire for eternity because they don't accept the message of the nativity display.

You're right. Although letting a child grow up without hope is better or worse?

That is the biggest load of crap I have ever seen on here.

Why don't you share what part you disagree with.

Is it the part where I asserted that the majority of the world is not Christian?

The part where I asserted that Christians think the only true path to heaven is through Jesus Christ.

Or the part where torturing people through immeasurable pain forever is not very nice?

Why don't you share what part you disagree with.

Is it the part where I asserted that the majority of the world is not Christian?

The part where I asserted that Christians think the only true path to heaven is through Jesus Christ.

Or the part where torturing people through immeasurable pain forever is not very nice?

Hopefully this doesn't sidetrack the thread, but Christians don't believe God tortures people in Hell. Most of us believe that those folks will be in torment, but it won't be because God is torturing them. :2cents:

Nope. But there is a difference between faith and hope is there not?
Intertwined. We hope for something better, a heaven if you will.

Faith is being certain of it.

Anyway, I don't really see how anything could be better than life. Life is pretty cool. I'm down with life.
I think a majority of folks around the world may disagree with you.

Zguy:

So does this ONE sign bother you more than the thousands we have to see dotting the roads with comments on them? Or can you see the fractions involved here?

Actually it doesn't bother me Thiebear. I never said it did, I laughed at the fact that they said religion causes people to be hard-hearted while at the same time using what some would say is an insulting tone. I thought it was ironic.

Anyway, I don't really see how anything could be better than life. Life is pretty cool. I'm down with life.

This is a point that I have always been very critical of religion(or a faith of things beyond) about.

IMO, if more folks would be focused on making today, in the here and now, a better place to live, instead of putting faith into their next life, the world would be a much, much better place.

I should have quoted the person you disagreed with, but it just seemed right to quote you.;)

And regardless of how positive Christians can pretend to be, telling the majority of the world that God is going to damn them to eternel hell is still a hate-filled elitist sentiment.

I never said/say that or encountered missionaries that did when deployed in areas initially without military backup.

Heck I pray that the liberal Godless types like you can turn your life around and not be the ignorant,moral foundation challenged, hate filled, Bigot against religion and those who embrace it.

Yeah I know that whole Christian charity thing is crazy, isn't it? And turn the other cheek? Who do they think they are?

What was that Mark Twain quote brought up earlier...

That's fine. Christians do a lot of good around the world. They also have a long history of war. My point was that atheism and christianity both have negative implications about folks they disagree with. In fact I'd argue that "you're going to burn in eternal hell" is a little more mean spirited than "you're wrong."

I never said/say that or encountered missionaries that did when deployed in areas initially without military backup.

So you don't give them the whole belief system from the beginning, you kind of lay it on them in a more strategic manner like scientology, eh?

Heck I pray that the liberal Godless types like you can turn your life around and not be the ignorant,moral foundation challenged, hate filled, Bigot against religion and those who embrace it

lol I'm more inclined to think you take pleasure in the prospect of people with opposing views suffering the wrath of god.

That's fine. Christians do a lot of good around the world. They also have a long history of war. My point was that atheism and christianity both have negative implications about folks they disagree with. In fact I'd argue that "you're going to burn in eternal hell" is a little more mean spirited than "you're wrong."

You really should quit while you are ahead.

1) Christians do a lot of good around the world, but they have a long history of war. Nice way to use a blanket statement to completely discount the good of Christian charity and "do unto others" with one fell swoop. That's pretty good stuff right there.

2) Then back it up by saying athiests and christians, well, they both have positive and negative.

3) And the final coup de grace of, well, I think that Christian burn in eternal hell thing is worse anyway.

Here's a clue. If you don't actually know anything about Christianity, and think that the "burn in hell" thing is all that it's about, then you probably don't know jack about it. Using debate techniques to discount without knowing will get you some places with others, but to people who realize what you are doing, it really just makes you look even more ignorant.

This is a point that I have always been very critical of religion(or a faith of things beyond) about.

IMO, if more folks would be focused on making today, in the here and now, a better place to live, instead of putting faith into their next life, the world would be a much, much better place.

I should have quoted the person you disagreed with, but it just seemed right to quote you.;)

Like I said, I don't think a majority of the people of the world (who live in poverty) would agree with you.

Ask a person from Sudan or Rwanda or Romania or some other place in the Third World.

Like I said, I don't think a majority of the people of the world (who live in poverty) would agree with you.

Ask a person from Sudan or Rwanda or Romania or some other place in the Third World.

Living in conditions like that, certainly will make you long for another chance, that's for sure.

Has there been any wars in those places, backed by religion?

I don't disagree with that. But I also wouldn't (hypothetically) trade free will for the redactment of all attrocities of all time.

Seriously...I'm not saying they shouldn't have the right to put this up; but WHY does it have to be next to the nativity scene. I'm sure there are plenty of other places to put it so it still gets the point across. I mean, we get it atheists....we're idiots because we believe in a God. No need to rub it in everyone's face.

Actually it doesn't bother me Thiebear. I never said it did, I laughed at the fact that they said religion causes people to be hard-hearted while at the same time using what some would say is an insulting tone. I thought it was ironic.

There is only our natural world. Religion is but myth and superstition that hardens hearts and enslaves minds."

And of course it enslaves the mind

Rule1: Believe Jesus/God is the one and only or go to hell.

end of story.

Jews will go to hell

Muslims will go to hell

Buddists will go to hell

Atheists/Agnostics will go to hell

Mormons.. yep, Wiccans for sure...

70% of Christains will go to hell for not doing it the right way.

Jehovah Witnesses has a lottery system: The Anointed (144,000) will be in heaven to reign with Jehovah God but there are 6million. Get your ticket now.

Lighthouse Baptists: You will go to hell if you believe like a Catholic praying to Saints/Mary. you will go to hell if you don't souljoin on Tuesday nights because just going to Church on Sunday is not enough.

you have to be a hard hearted club to have people sign up and participate 'Almost' exactly as you do for 50+years but there is no room for them in heaven.

http://aycu19.webshots.com/image/23818/2001295977436439705_rs.jpg

To be Almost Saved is to be totally lost.

And i'm the most tolerant atheist i know, i love you guys (i go to Sunday School :) while waiting for the kids.... but come on, it quacks like a duck.

You really should quit while you are ahead.

nah, I' think I'll run up the score against you instead lol

1) Christians do a lot of good around the world, but they have a long history of war. Nice way to use a blanket statement to completely discount the good of Christian charity and "do unto others" with one fell swoop. That's pretty good stuff right there.

Both statements, positive and negative, were blanket.

2) Then back it up by saying athiests and christians, well, they both have positive and negative.

Which is true. Christians believe nasty stuff about nonbelievers. And atheists say nasty stuff about Christian beliefs. There is no reconciling these differences. We can only hope to keep it civil.

3) And the final coup de grace of, well, I think that Christian burn in eternal hell thing is worse anyway.

Also true. I would much rather be wrong than burn in hell forever.

Here's a clue. If you don't actually know anything about Christianity, and think that the "burn in hell" thing is all that it's about, then you probably don't know jack about it. Using debate techniques to discount without knowing will get you some places with others, but to people who realize what you are doing, it really just makes you look even more ignorant

I never said hell is all that it's about. But that certainly is part of it-a part that is entirely applicable to a thread involving atheism.

There is only our natural world. Religion is but myth and superstition that hardens hearts and enslaves minds."

And of course it enslaves the mind

Rule1: Believe Jesus/God is the one and only or go to hell.

end of story.

Jews will go to hell

The only reasons Christians support Israel is because of selfish prophetic reasons of next life promises. They don't care one bit (as a whole) for the people of Israel.

Although letting a child grow up without hope ...

But "hope" is not the whole message.

Christianity, or Islam, or any other religion which incorporate threats do so because they work at some level in creating converts out of fear. Priests and clergy for centuries have been bullying their flock in this way.

Given that, an alternative point of view may even be refreshing or even reassuring for those with doubts.

Christians can just ignore it in the same way the rest of us ignore all the dumb signs on billboards, outside churches, in newspaper advertisements, and other mailings we are deluged with.

Archived