Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

December is when we will miss Gibbs.

NoCalMike

All four of Gibbs era II, the team played it's best football in December.

In 2005 and 2007, we went into December in a much worse position then we are now.

We looked just as bad, and just as much "OMG this is whats wrong" threads.

The difference to me is that we had a HOF coach at the helm.

Now, this is not a knock on Jim Zorn. He is a first year coach and it isn't fair to compare him to Gibbs. It's not like Zorn is Wade Phillips who already has a proven track record of failing at games that mean the most. All I am saying is that having Joe Gibbs as a head coach was definately an asset down the home stretch in the NFL.

I hope somehow Zorn can ignite some of that December magic of the past into this team for the home stretch.

:cheers:

Definitely unfair to compare the two.

We'll see what Zorn can do in December soon enough.

Part of me thinks he might be losing the team. Sellers and Cooley sounded like they lost all faith in their post-game comments.

Yea, here's to hoping.

Good point, NoCal. Interesting how this season is setting up just like recent years, where we need to get on a late roll to make the postseason.

You're right that we're in a better position record-wise at this point than we have been in recent seasons. Unfortunately there are more true playoff contenders out there this year to deal with than in years past.

Nobody circled the wagons like Gibbs. Will be interesting indeed to see how Zorn handles this stretch of games. He has a chance to really establish himself. The stretch drive begins Sunday night in Baltimore.

No question having Coach Gibbs was an asset in December Mike, and ANY team would be weakened not having the steady leadership he brings to the table. His record at the real business end of the season has always been outstanding.

This has crossed my mind too as November has gone from bad to worse, and were in another "win out, or we don't go" scenario.

Although I'm grasping at the biggest straw I can, let's hope and pray that the Z-Man has the same remarkable run of consistency throughout his career as Coach had in December. (Hey, I need something to hold onto this week..... :(.).

Hail.

In 2005 and 2007, we went into December in a much worse position then we are now.

We looked just as bad, and just as much "OMG this is whats wrong" threads.

The difference to me is that we had a HOF coach at the helm.

Now, this is not a knock on Jim Zorn. He is a first year coach and it isn't fair to compare him to Gibbs. It's not like Zorn is Wade Phillips who already has a proven track record of failing at games that mean the most. All I am saying is that having Joe Gibbs as a head coach was definately an asset down the home stretch in the NFL.

I hope somehow Zorn can ignite some of that December magic of the past into this team for the home stretch.

You are right about Gibbs for sure and many fans remember having good things happening in December. We also played well in bad weather under Gibbs. I think Zorn has the potential to win some big games over the next few years for us. But he has to make the right decisions about finding the players in the off season. Don't start bringing in ex-Seahawks players for example. Remember when Norv brought in ex-Cowboy players and all of them stunk?!!

No man, you aren't the only one. A few weeks ago I was thinking that it would be great to have a head coach tag-team so Gibbs could do his December stuff.

Norv could screw up a 6-2 start. Zorn is on his way too but Gibbs would have turned that into 12-4 somehow. The ideal would be to have Schottenheimer coach them for the regular season and then have Gibbs coach them for the post season.

I still kinda hate Gibbs for Brunell, and I know that he only got us to the playoffs last year because Collins stepped up, like in 1987 when Williams got it done when Schroeder couldn't. It just worked.

But the overall quality of this team isn't what good QB play for 4-5 weeks can overcome by itself. It's the OL #1 and no reliable possession receiver issue, IMO. That's why the Pats could start any QB and succeed, they have a great OL and the best possession receiver in the NFL, Welker. He had between 6 and 9 receptions in the first 12 weeks this year. Sounds like Monk, right? Who moves the chains? It isn't the guy who goes deep and catches 3-4 balls a game. It's a guy like Monk, or Welker who makes the offense work.

Too bad we don't have a guy like that.

Remember how under appreciated Monk was, now go watch a Patriots game and tell me what you think.

2 of Gibbs II teams made runs in Dec...1 played about average...1 stunk it up...

2004 3-8 coming in 3-2 down the strech

W 31-7 NYG

L 17-14 PHI

W 26-16 SF

L 13-10 DAL

W 21-18 MIN

2005 5-6 coming in 4-0 down the stretch

W 24-9 STL

W 17-13 ARI

W 35-7 DAL

W 35-20 NYG

2006 4-7 going in...1-4 down the stretch

L 24-14 ATL

L 21-19 PHI

W 16-10 NO

L 37-31 STL

L 34-28 NYG

2007 5-6 going in 4-1 down the stretch

L 17-16 BUF

W 24-16 CHI

W 22-10 NYG

W 32-21 MIN

W 27-6 DAL

Fortunately, we're in a much better position (record wise) this time going into Dec as 7-5 with 4 to go.

Archived