Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

LaRon Landry is a playmaker ...

mi6

I love LaRon but he needs to keep his head up when he goes to make a tackle. I have seen him on numerous times this season, lower his head and have an offensive player avoiding a tackle simply by slowing down. Needless to say, I still think LaRon is an excellent player and I am glad he is a Redskin!

Bringing it down to earth is one thing, but that goes way overboard. You can't compare a safety in his 2nd year to a hof player.

Landry is on his way to becoming one of the best safeties, but he's got a way to go.

I think he's pretty close already. He was a pro-bowl alternate as a rookie and probably should have got the nod over Roy Willliams.

He started as a rookie under Gregg Williams who never starts rookies.

Not many safeties in the league are trusted to play single deep safety as often as Landry does and he's only in his 2nd year. Blache basically asks him to cover deep by himself and not make any mistakes at all. Landry's room for error is zero.

IMO he's on the short list of the top safeties in the league.

ask the Seattle staff if Landry's a playmaker.

:cheers:

172x135.jpg?center=0,0 Deja Vu 172x135.jpg?center=0,0

good post darrelgreenie

you said it well

i'd like to add that his tackle on morris was one of the most important plays of the game, he saved a touchdown with that tackle, the best thing about it was his form, he didn't go for the ball, we see alot of poor tackling in the nfl these days... he wrapped him up exactly as he should, good fundamentals saved the game, he's learning...and he's already one of the best, i'm very happy we drafted him

Landry completely whiffed on that run by Morris at the two minute warning in the first half, and that's my main concern with him.

He's stopping the long pass and tracks down guys that get past the rest of the defense but sometimes he goes for the huge hit and misses.

Obviously, he's a second year player and even the best hitting guys in the NFL miss sometimes but I hope that he can concentrate on taking the ball carrier down instead of trying to take his head off.

Just my thoughts, he's a good safety for sure but he's still got some learning to do...which is to be expected at his age.

He really isn't a playmaker though

Yes he is. It's not his fault he's been asked to cover the deep ball single handedly almost every play, and that noone is throwing deep against him. What do you want him to do? Yell at the opposing QB to throw it his way so he can make a play?

When Blache sends him on a blitz, something good usually happens for us.

Landry = playmaker.

You want to know what a real play maker at safety looks like, watch the Ravens and Ed Reed.

Landry ain't him...........not by a mile

If you wanna talk about differences.

It's sad that such an amazing talent like Ed Reed won't ever see the big dance in his career. As for Landry, he actually has a decent chance.

Eventually, I think Chris Horton and LaRon Landry will make a good/great safety combo. Both are ball hawks, hit hard, tackle fearlessly, can cover a ton of ground in a hurry!

In a nutshell, both are playmakers!

A higher degree of difficulty? What is this calculous? Anytime I see someoe dive for a ball, its usually a big time catch.

And since the ball wasn't thrown to LaRon, he had to track it down away from him and go get it himself = he made the play.

Being a playmaker is doing that on a consistent basis.

I wasn't making an argument, it was simply a comment based on my own opinion.

P.S. Calculous = Calculus :2cents:

You want to know what a real play maker at safety looks like, watch the Ravens and Ed Reed.

ravens also have a very good pass rush, making QB's to throw fast and make mistakes. we dont have a good pass rush, thats why QB's have all day to throw. we do have a good secondary thats been saving our bums.

if we can get a good pass rush and a good linebacking core we could have a dominating D.

No S**t Landry isn't him! He's still a crucial talent in his own way! He's still maturing also. Look at our own Sean Taylor. Very raw early on, then an absolute beast when finally matured! God rest his soul.... Couldn't compare him to anyone... Landry was a top 5 draft pick. So were Reed and Taylor.....Taylor if anyone, were/is a once in a decade selection, HANDS DOWN!!!!!!! All of them were/are talented in every facet of the game. They have there own strengths and weaknesses. Some only have slight weaknesses! RIP21!.!.!.!.!

Ok, some of you guys are seriously overrating Ed Reed.

As for LaRon, he is a playmaker. The problem is that he is not a CONSISTENT playmaker.

As he's CONSISTENTLY not thrown to, I'd say that he's a CONSISTENT playmaker.

I think that some people here don't understand that a secondary can't make plays if there's no pressure on the quarterback. Everyone wants to say that Ed Reed is amazing, and he IS, but put him on a ****ty defense and see how well he plays (See Taylor, Sean circa 2006 [for the record, as I said back then, he was STILL a god, but it didn't show up on paper]).

I think the thing that bothers me the most is the weekly posts either bashing Laron or falling at his feet depending on whether "key plays" are made. "Where was Laron today? I feel like I didn't hear his name once!" ...or... "He is not a playmaker." The fact is Laron plays his heart out every game and most people don't know the slightest thing about the plays he makes on *every single snap.* He is rarely thrown towards, meaning he virtually shuts down half the field. He saves Carlos and Smoot on every 15 yard cushion they give receivers. He creates pressure on blitzes because our D-line sure as hell can't enter the backfield.

I'm sure Laron will do something next week to make people whine or complain...

Laron is definitely a playmaker but he has to show me more before I put him in the class with the top in the league. He is a typical crushing hit safety but he doesn't have the cover skills of a Ed Reed or the one of the best safety's I ever saw in John Lynch. Laron will be a big time player in the NFL eventually.

Anytime a QB challenges Laron deep...what does he do? He knocks the ball away. That's coverage. He plays good coverage. I would like Blatche to let him move up 10 yards closer to every play. They play Landry so deep, the only thing he really can do is cover the deep play. They need to let him get involved more with the intermediate pass plays.

Archived