Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Beer Thread

RedskinsFanInTX

Had a few new ones this weekend and a few old that I hadn't had in a while ...

Pyramid Thunderhead IPA: An old favorite ... love this one

Saranac White IPA: Not as good as the Red IPA or the Big Moose Ale ... but enjoyed it

Southern Tier IPA: Pretty good ... kind of run-of-the-mill for an IPA but not bad at all

Long Trail IPA: Eh ... pretty standard IPA, a little mild compared to the others

Long Trail Blackberry Wheat: Used to love this one before I got into IPAs ... first time having it in a while ... definitely too fruity for me now, but if you're into that, great beer

Otter Creek Hop Session Ale: Was expecting more hoppy ... but it wasn't an IPA ... and if you're into more mild ales with some hop, it's not bad.

Nugget Nectar hit the stores last week, stuff sells out quick.

It's a little over rated, but still a really good well balanced beer, I wish they would sell it year round.

http://cdn2-b.examiner.com/sites/default/files/styles/image_content_width/hash/a7/e9/a7e9d8c426e857f6bd51fce781d1db93.jpg

---------- Post added February-25th-2013 at 09:25 PM ----------

Immort Ale ....

Funky, smokey, and sweet, actually digging this, next time I cedar plank some salmon, this is what i'm washing it down with.

http://brewvana.files.wordpress.com/2007/11/immort_ale.jpg

I had that Nugget Nectar at whole foods this weekend. Real good stuff

I bought some Lagunitas Maximus yesterday and all I can say is wow. I didn't see the IBU before I drank it but I saw the ABV was 8.2% when I bought it. I was expecting extremely hoppy flavor full of pine and bitterness. Think Sierra Nevada Torpedo. I wasn't expecting a smooth finish with a little bit of sweetness. Its almost unreal how awesome this beer tastes and how surprised I was after the first sip. This beer rocks. I must say that Lagunitas is quickly becoming my favorite brewer. Everything I have had by them is awesome:

lagunitas%20ipa%20maximus.jpg

Edited by Skinz4Life12

I really enjoy Lagunitas' Lil Sumpin Sumpin Ale. Schlafly Made a great seasonal IPA a few months ago called Tasmanian IPA it was amazing imo. considering most of their brews are substandard.

:http://schlafly.com/beers/styles/tasmanian-ipa/

As far as stouts go I like Plead The 5th Imperial Stout from Dark Horse Brewing Company. 12% by vol.

One day I would like to have enough cash to try: Armageddon the worlds strongest brew 65% by vol. more info: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/24/strongest-beer-in-the-word_n_2009605.html

I'm torn between Lagunitas "Sucks" and Little Sumpin Sumpin but I think Sucks may be one of my favorite all time beers closely followed by Sumpin Sumpin

---------- Post added March-14th-2013 at 01:42 PM ----------

I know it is in here somewhere, but don't feel like doing the research. Basides maybe it's time to rediscuss anyway...

How many homebrewers in here? I've been at it for a few months and am loving it.

Messed up my first batch pretty bad by forgetting to put in 65% of my extract. DOH! Since them I think I'm pretty happy with what I've done. Opening another one Monday for the first time and going to dry hop a Citra IPA Monday too.

What's up man? You still home brewing? I've been seriously thinking about getting into this as it seems like a ton of fun. I'm moving to San Diego in October so I don't want to buy a bunch of stuff and move it in 7 months but you may have to give me some lessons once I get out there

One day I would like to have enough cash to try: Armageddon the worlds strongest brew 65% by vol. more info: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/24/strongest-beer-in-the-word_n_2009605.html

That is tempting. I found it at this site:

http://www.ampmdirect.co.uk/armageddon.html

I added it to my cart just to check out the total. Here it is:

----------------------

Cart SummaryItems In Your Cart Qty.

Armageddon - The World's Strongest Beer 65% - 330ml 1

Subtotal £55.00

Shipping & Handling (FedEx UK - International Priority (1 - 2 days)) £13.99

Order Total Excl. Tax £57.49

VAT Standard (20%)

£11.50

Tax £11.50

Order Total Incl. Tax £68.99

------------------------

So about $103 delivered for an 11oz bottle. I probably won't order it but it is tempting...

Okay who has had Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA? I just looked that stuff up and didn't realize how hardcore it is. Wow

I've had it on draft, the alcohol was fairly well hidden for being 18%, the 90 Minute is MUCH better.

Have you tried the 90 minute?

I have also had The Tactical Nuclear Penguin which is something stupid like 45% alcohol, didn't taste like beer at all, I would compare it more to a brandy.

Edited by GoSkins561

I've had it on draft, the alcohol was fairly well hidden for being 18%, the 90 Minute is MUCH better.

Have you tried the 90 minute?

Yea 90 and 60 are great. Never had the 120 minute though. The alcohol content and IBU rating are off the scale though. I didn't realize either were that high

I've been drinking DFH 120 for several years. It's my favorite beer by them. Be forewarned though, it's an acquired taste. You love double IPAs, you love American Strong Ales (Double Dog from Flying Dog), the 120 will be right up your alley. The first time I had the 120 I had a very hard time drinking it, now I have to hold back from drinking it too fast. It comes off as a bourbon altogether. ****ing massive burnt caramel, citrus and pine hops are overbearing. I love it.

It gets a bad wrap, but I like it better than the 60 and the 90. I don't care about alcohol %, in fact I wish the 120 was a low alcohol beer with the same exact flavor. Could drink more of it without getting too drunk. The 60 is still my choice of beer to drink during a crab feast. It's tradition for me. That time is coming up!

Had the Dominion Oak Barrel Stout over the weekend, great bang for your buck. Their Hop Mountain Pale Ale is incredibly good for being under $10 a 6 pack. Sharp hop bite to it. Might get that this weekend!

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

• 3 weeks later...

Haven't been drinking much beer, have made a transition to brandy and bourbon. Luckily, craft beer makes a great chaser. Tonight I have a bottle of Goose Island 312 Urban Wheat Ale. Chasing some Elijah Craig small batch bourbon. The 312 Wheat Ale is a lightly flavored brew, a lot like a macro lager. The body is what's so different though...soft like silk.

Haven't been drinking much beer, have made a transition to brandy and bourbon. Luckily, craft beer makes a great chaser. Tonight I have a bottle of Goose Island 312 Urban Wheat Ale. Chasing some Elijah Craig small batch bourbon. The 312 Wheat Ale is a lightly flavored brew, a lot like a macro lager. The body is what's so different though...soft like silk.

LOL!

Welcome to my world....craft beer and bourbon.

I don't know anything about brandy, (because I hate it), but I do know a few things about bourbon. I love bourbon, as does my wife. At any one time, we have at least 6-10 bottles. It is a much more expensive past time than craft beer.

If you must "chase" bourbon, then at least you're doing the right thing by drinking a light lager. If you're going to drink a beer while enjoying a good bourbon, I suggest, (with all due respect), that you avoid any of those enamel stripping, high hopped brews that we love so much.

Based on personal experience, those hoppy IPA's do a number on your taste buds, which doesn't allow you to enjoy much of the flavor profile of the bourbon. Honestly, I typically only drink water when enjoying bourbon. If I do drink a beer, it's definitely a lager.

A buddy of mine, who is also an ES member, (HOF44), is a bourbon enthusiast. He's forgotten more than I'll ever know about top-shelf bourbon. I'm sure that if you shot him a PM, he'd be more than happy to share some of his knowledge.

Edited by Skinsfan1311

That is tempting. I found it at this site:

http://www.ampmdirect.co.uk/armageddon.html

I added it to my cart just to check out the total. Here it is:

----------------------

Cart SummaryItems In Your Cart Qty.

Armageddon - The World's Strongest Beer 65% - 330ml 1

Subtotal £55.00

Shipping & Handling (FedEx UK - International Priority (1 - 2 days)) £13.99

Order Total Excl. Tax £57.49

VAT Standard (20%)

£11.50

Tax £11.50

Order Total Incl. Tax £68.99

------------------------

So about $103 delivered for an 11oz bottle. I probably won't order it but it is tempting...

That's insane, but tempting like you said. I want to say I've had the worlds strongest beer, but paying $100 to do so is a lot :ols:. They recommend you drink it in 35ml portions and share with friends.......the bottle is 330ml, so not sure if they are good with math or not, but why not 30ml portions, so you get 10 per bottle :cool:.

I should get 4 of my friends to go in with me and then we all pay $20 each and order a bottle, get 60 ml each and drink at my next cook-out.:evilg:

Edited by Dont Taze Me Bro

Out here in SD - Ballast Point is the shizzle. They brew an IPA called Sculpin - $7.50 a draft. And people pay it. Racer5 is another West Coast fav.

Monk's Sour Flemish Ale. Nodding Head's Monkey Knife Fight. Rogue's Morimoto Soba Ale. All good. And all are Philly related.

A really f'ng good seasonal: Anchor Steams winter-only release of Old Foghorn Barleywine.

Saisons are my favorite style. Outmeal Stout my fav draft.

Speaking of drafts. Go nitro instead of CO2.

Ommegang is a great brewery, any of their stuff. Of coarse Chimay, Delirium Tremens, Samuel Smith. I cant forget - Schneider Weisse brewery.

BUT. Brewing your own then dry hopping - that's the magic.

Edited by mossomo

Toured through Brewery Ommegang up in Cooperstown, NY last weekend. 1) It's in the middle of nowhere ... well, outside of Cooperstown by about 3 miles, which is pretty isolated. But if you can get there, they've got great food and excellent beers. I've always been a fan of Hennepin, but their Rare Vos and Iron Throne are excellent. Hennepin, Rare Vos, Three Philosophers and Iron Throne BPA are their best known, I think. Iron Throne is verrrrryyy good, and obviously is getting a lot of publicity in that it's the "Game of Thrones" Beer. Buddy of mine says they've got it down in Whole Foods in the DC area and another said he had it at World of Beer last night. It's $7.99 for a 25 oz. but certainly worth it. ABV is 6.8%

Ommegang is pretty good. I visited their brewery last summer when I was in Cooperstown. Very impressive facility, even if the service sucked (it was pretty busy, shocker).

---------- Post added April-7th-2013 at 11:01 AM ----------

Wow, simultaneous Ommegang tour-related posts. Nice.

Edited by skinsfan_1215