Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Beer Thread

RedskinsFanInTX

I haven't had anything from Bell's yet. The Two Hearted Ale is #2 on my to-get list, right behind the Russian River Pliny the Elder.

Mixed 6 pack I scrummed together for the weekend:

Smuttynose Shoals Pale Ale - Darker pale ale, sweet hops, not very memorable though.

Lagunitas Czech Style Pils - Pretty good pilsner, mild in flavor.

A****er Voodoo Vator Doppelbock - Pitch black, tastes a lot like Raisin Bran, huge on the plums/raisins, thick and malty.

Starr Hill Double Platinum IPA - Absolutely delicious Double IPA, reallllly liked this, will write a review on it.

Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA - A classic in my book, but I saved it for tonight. :)

Victory Storm King Imperial Stout - Haven't had it yet, will be the first beer I have tonight.

Also grabbed 6 Sam Adam's Cream Stouts, and a 6 of Leinie's Summer Shandy

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA vs. Heavy Seas Loose Cannon Hop3 IPA

0704110346.jpg

Round 1 -- Appearance:

The 60 Minute is a lot more radiant, it glows an almost red-amber. The Hop3's head is frothy and soapier, and the lacing freakin' dominates the 60's. However, there are a lot of uneven bubbles in the Loose Cannon and it doesn't look terribly appetizing. The bottom line is that the 60 simply stands out next to the Loose Cannon. The 60 Minute wins this round fairly comfortably.

Round 2 -- Aroma:

The Hop3 has less of a bitter aroma than the 60. Oranges, tangerines, peach, pine, maple, bread. It's a very nice balance, but the 60 is just too strong here. It has an awesome fresh hop aroma that pretty much acts as a haymaker to the Loose Cannon's jaw. Grapefruits, grass and pine all kicking some ass. The toasty backbone isn't as noticeable as the Hop3's, but it's just a classic whiff of hops on that 60 Minute. A comfortable round for the Dogfish Head.

Round 3 -- Flavor:

The Dogfish Head is a tongue-smackin' hophead experience. Highly bitter, yet set at a moderate strength. Grass with pine mostly, toasty malt is light but ever present. The Hop3 is definitely less of a bitter experience, but it is ridiculously well rounded. It's more of a connoisseurs' experience to explore the flavors of the Hop3...while the 60 is more of a straight up fresh hop experience. The key here is that the warmer the Loose Cannon got, the better it got, and it simply surpasses the 60 Minute IPA in flavor quality when it reaches around 60 degrees. Juicy hops, toast, caramel, maple, spices, it's just scrumptious on so many levels. The Hop3 takes a wallop but ends up being too good in too many aspects.

Round 4 -- Body/Palate:

This is where the Loose Cannon starts to take control of the battle. Such a soft mouth feel, thanks to the frothy and soapy carbonation. On the palate it feels like I'm having a meal of hops and malts, yet it's not overly filling in the least bit. The 60 Minute is more on the aggressive side within it's carbonation. In fact, it's apparent that it's more aggressive in almost all aspects, it seems a little one dimensional next to the Loose Cannon at this point.

Round 5 -- Finish:

Both beers finish with bitter hops, and the 60 outshines the Hop3 in that regard. It's more defined and lasting, that Dogfish really gets you to think at length about how damn good the hops are in it. The 60 Minute IPA wins this round.

JUDGES DECISION:

This is a very close match. But the Loose Cannon comes through as the more well-rounded beer where it matters most - the flavor and body. Don't sleep on the 60 Minute, it's deserving to be an absolute classic, and kicks the Loose Cannon's butt within the realm of the hops. That said, the Loose Cannon is the better beer at a moderately warmed up temperature. It puts it over the top.

Loose Cannon by split decision

Are Clown Shoes' labels offensive?

An entertaining debate is raging right now over at BeerAdvocate.com over the labels that Clown Shoes puts on its beer bottles. A forum message -- posted by one of the people who runs the Cambridge-based Beer Advocate -- argues that the labels used by North Shore brewer Clown Shoes are alternately sexist, racist, and overly risque.

"I have been trying to hold my breath about Clownshoes [sic] for a while, but I think today I can officially say that I am done with these beers," the post begins. It goes on to describe the label as "tacky," "borderline sexist or racist," and "classless."

The post has prompted 275300350 replies (update: the thread has been locked), quite a few of which are unfriendly toward Beer Advocate's management -- which is something of a rarity among the website's users.

In lieu of posting a response on BeerAdvocate.com, Clown Shoes issued a tongue-in-cheek statement this evening that read, in part:

We are sorry for forcing everyone to have to endure the huge amounts of physical and psychological trauma we have caused by putting pictures of robots and cartoon women on our beer labels. God forbid you manage to actually open the bottle after seeing the horribly offensive labels because, as we all know, beers with an average rating of B+ are not even that good and shouldn't be drank by anyone...

As a result of this PR fiasco, we have fired every person on our design team, without severance, and submitted their names to a FBI watch list for people who have terrible senses of humor. We will be replacing them with unemployed accountants, all of whom we have screened to ensure that they have no sense of humor whatsoever and will not go "outside the box" when designing new packaging.

We are also making some changes to our existing line-up of beers:

* Brown Angel will now be called "Colorless Angel"

* Eagle Claw Fist will be renamed "Non-Descriptive Bird Appendage Fist" to avoid any further offense to eagles or claws

* HoppyFeet will be changed to "Opaque IPA"

* Tramp Stamp will be renamed "Lower Back Tattoo" to avoid any conflicts with the NAWWRGTS (National Association of Women Who Regret Getting Tramp Stamps)

* Lubrication will be renamed "Slippery Petroleum Byproduct"...

Meanwhile, here are the supposedly offending labels.

clown1.jpg

clown2.jpg

clown3.png

Okay everyone, here's a question about your beer containment chambers.

What do you like to drink beer out of? Glass, mug, just the bottle, or something else?

The reason I ask: I just bought some Auburn drinkware at a major sale at the arena today. I bought one tall pilsner-style glass, and one ceramic mug (both were $10, normally marked at $25). I figured I could keep one and give my dad the other. The glass would be best for seeing the beer's color, and the more obvious contemporary choice. But the mug is really nice-looking. And it looks like what they'd drink beer out of at an old Irish pub or something. The dork in me wants to go with the mug, but I'm still undecided.

What do you like to drink beer out of? Glass, mug, just the bottle, or something else?

Proper glassware. Flute for lambics, Goblet for Belgians, etc. etc. I would imagine you can officially call yourself a beek geek if you enjoy the proper glassware for the right beer and own it all too.

Proper glassware. Flute for lambics, Goblet for Belgians, etc. etc. I would imagine you can officially call yourself a beek geek if you enjoy the proper glassware for the right beer and own it all too.

I'm unfortunately too poor at this stage in my life to afford beer geekdom. It will happen some day, though.

I'm unfortunately too poor at this stage in my life to afford beer geekdom. It will happen some day, though.

Five bucks for my all around favorite glass, the tulip.

Glass_Duvel.jpg

It's just a good design for pretty much any craft beer. Aromas are focused within the main bulb then dispersed through the upper "bloom" of the glass. It acts as a snifter glass for stouts when you only pour 4oz in to it. Same shape pretty much, and definitely easier to pick up aromas in the tulip.

If you can save up $18 to spend on beer, I recommend the Duvel gift pack:

http://compare.ebay.com/like/300574790912?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&_lwgsi=y

The Duvel is probably my favorite pale Belgian Strong Ale, and you get that tulip glass to boot.

0710111617.jpg

That's my collection so far...(Top row, left to right): Dogfish Head My Antonia, Stone Sublimely Self-Righteous, Unibroue Trois Pistoles, Guinness Foreign Extra, Anchor Porter, Heavy Seas Small Craft Warning - Loose Cannon - Peg Leg, 3 Dogfish Head Midas Touches. (Bottom row, left to right): Samuel Adams Wee Heavy - Boston Lager - Cream Stout, 4 Flying Dog Double Dogs, Flying Dog Raging *****, 2 Dogfish Head 90 Minutes.

I just picked up Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel, 17th Anniversary Wood Aged Double IPA and Galaxy Hopped Barleywine Ale (Brothers' Reserve Series) when I was in Hilton Head this week. They have this place call Growlers there that has a pretty good selection. I haven't tried them yet but I kind of just picked a couple beers that I have never tried.

Had a Dogfish Head My Antonia (Imperial Pilsner) last night...it's pretty good. Says it's continually hopped but doesn't show much for it. More towards a regular pilsner, like the Sam Adams Noble Pils. The My Antonia doesn't show much "Imperialism", so to speak. It is highly carbonated, the lacing on my pilsner glass was rocky and outrageous looking. Other than that, not very memorable.

I'd rather have the Noble Pils over the My Antonia...and the My Antonia is way more expensive in these parts. Middle of the road B grade for her.

I actually enjoy American Lagers for what they are, grainy metallic white corn water. Sounds awful, but it's actually a funny little drinkable ****. Gotta drink them cold as all heaven, but I don't mind 'em to tell ya the truth. What I won't buy are these +10$ 12 packs of them when there's the same style of beer in a little box I like to call Natty Bo for $8. Even the Beast I'd take over Budweiser and Miller. If nothing else but on price alone. I just don't see significantly major differences in that group of beers, flavor wise.

Here. Let me save you some time.

Sorry. Just a little attempt at frivolity there.

outtahere.gif

obama_gtfo.gif

:D

I actually enjoy American Lagers for what they are, grainy metallic white corn water. Sounds awful, but it's actually a funny little drinkable ****. Gotta drink them cold as all heaven, but I don't mind 'em to tell ya the truth. What I won't buy are these +10$ 12 packs of them when there's the same style of beer in a little box I like to call Natty Bo for $8. Even the Beast I'd take over Budweiser and Miller. If nothing else but on price alone. I just don't see significantly major differences in that group of beers, flavor wise.

There really isn't much taste difference in American Lagers. They're good for beer pong/flip cup/etc. Or even for pounding a bunch of beers on the beach or something, but if I'm not binge drinking, I will continue my beer snobbery...

beer-snob-hdr.jpg