Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

930 Club Safety

redskins4life234

I'll be going to 9:30 on 11/23 to see Jedi Mind Tricks. Should be fun. 9:30 is hands down one of the best places to see a show. And the area, while not great, isn't really all that danger especially during a show. There are a ton of people and you should be safe. Stick with your buddies and you'll be alright.

I've been to one or two shows at the 930 club, both via metro. I totally did not enjoy the walk from the Metro stop to the venue, but when there is a bunch of people exiting or arriving to the venue for the same show, getting mugged in a crowd is pretty low. If being offered to be dropped off, I'd take it.

I was dropped off for a show back during the days The Nation was around and however "uncool" it was to have my friend's father drive me and two other friends in his SUV for a punk show, it was very convenient.

No offense but your Dad is ignorant and has no idea what a "bad neighborhood" really is.

You know his dad?

I have never been to the 'new' 930, but I used to haunt the old place a LOT. Saw many a great show there, but my favorite would be Link Wray back in about 85 or so.

I knew his nephew and we all went backstage and smoked green with him before the show.

What a night! He was ****ED up on that goony and jammed his little ass off. (He was maybe 5'2") At one point he held his guitar out over the crowd and let everyone who could reach it just whack the strings while he played the neck. Very cool night.

~Bang

Its not the Hamptons by any stretch, but I certainly wouldn't say its a bad neighborhood. Like someone else said previously, by yourself at 3am, it maybe a little sketchy. But w/ friends on a concert night, its no big deal.

Exactly. Its a place that you should not wonder around wasted at 3am lost, but then you should not to do that anywhere in any city. The walk from the metro to the club is fine in a group.

Ironically, it is probably more dangerous (no idea if this is true) statistically that you will get into an accident in a 30 min car ride from Maryland than being mugged on a 2 min, one city block walk in a group of 4 people.

Anyone know how long the concerts usually last. It says its suppose to start around 6, so would it end around 9?

It depends on how many bands are playing.

Is it just doors open at 6? If it's doors at 6 then I'd imagine the first band is on at 7. They might play an hour or half hour. So then the headlliner comes on they'd probably play like an hour and a half. So I'd guess 9:30-10:00ish. You won't miss the metro. 9:30 is usually pretty good about that.

Usually each opener plays about an hour or half hour.

17?

man just tell your pop you are staying at your friends and get your ass to the District. By the time I was 17 I was already neck deep in street races on V street, football games against R st, go-gos at Celebrity Hall.

I saw Ice-T with Body Count at the 930 club...horrible. cop killer was all the rage though.

Seriously, the neighborhood isn't THAT bad compared to some other areas in the District. I normally park way behind the club near the college dorms and I have never had any issues.

The important part is to exercise common sense. Don't be stupid, don't run around screaming N bombs, don't flash your cash, don't wander down any back alleys or any street that isn't a main street.

You'll be fine. Enjoy the show!

17?

man just tell your pop you are staying at your friends and get your ass to the District. By the time I was 17 I was already neck deep in street races on V street, football games against R st, go-gos at Celebrity Hall.

I saw Ice-T with Body Count at the 930 club...horrible. cop killer was all the rage though.

I worked that show. Still have the crew pass in my collection. That was a LONG night!:silly:

So I am going to the 930 club for a concert soon, and my dad is very concerned about the safety issues with it not being the best neighborhood. SO for all yours experiences and knowledge, is it that bad? During a concert are police presence stepped up. I am also planning on taking the metro, but my dad offered to drop me off and come back to drive both ways. Would that be smarter? Im also going to be with 3 other friends, if that makes a difference in size of group.

Like everyone else has said, just act like you know where you are going, dont look like your lost and going to a show and you'll be fine. Ive been to a good 8-10 shows at 9:30, taken the metro each time, and never had a problem. Especially with the fact that your with a group, you guys will be fine.

One thing to realize, since i did see that you are going on a weekday night, the metro stops running around 12 or so. Check here to see exactly when you should be back to catch the train. Other than that, go have a good time and dont worry about it!

Wow, that place is still there?

I remember going to see the Slickee Boys there - must have been in the early 80s.

that was when it was on F street. That was a good location, saw King's X when they were a relatively new band. Haven't been to the V street location but I'd exercise caution up there.

No offense but your Dad is ignorant and has no idea what a "bad neighborhood" really is.
We live in times when kids can get killed or injured just going to the shopping mall. I hardly think it's beyond the realm of reason that a father would be concerned over his young, inexperienced son venturing into an unknown urban area at night. Whether he has exaggerated the threat level or not, he loves his son and wants to keep him safe. Nothing ignorant about that.

I've been to the 9:30 Club a bunch of times, metro and driving. It is an amazing place to see a show, get there early and you'll be right up on the bands if you can get in the front row.

The walk from the metro is pretty sketch. My girlfriend and I got hit up by a crackhead as soon as we came out onto the sidewalk, but he was a nice guy and didn't ask for money till after he gave us directions to the club. It was a late show (didn't start till 10:30) and we ended up getting lost afterwards on our way back to the metro, at about 1:30 a.m. Pretty scary for a white kid from the suburbs, I wouldn't recommend it, although it's not horrible by any stretch.

But I mean really, right up the street is Howard University Hospital. There's a McDonald's I wouldn't go in, though. My friend and I got hit up for chicken nuggets and cash when we went in there before seeing Sonic Youth.

Like everyone sai though, if you're alone with a bulging wallet then you might have some problems, but I think you should be just fine.

saw King's X when they were a relatively new band

First of all, I love King's X and will see them anywhere. Back to that later.

But more importantly, been to the 9:30 enough times when I lived there, old and "new". The vomit smelling old, and the "new".

Parking around there is always going to be hit or miss. I parked around there plenty of times, PLENTY of times (I used to hit the 9:30 several times a week when I lived there), no problem, it took just one time to come out to a car that was TOTALLED by vandalism. Nevertheless, while I don't and won't recommend it, I will say that I've been there tons of times with no problem.

It's a city so it's a gamble. So if you can find another way to get there, do it. It will always be hit or miss.

Back to King's X: It's worth it.

So I am going to the 930 club for a concert soon, and my dad is very concerned about the safety issues with it not being the best neighborhood. SO for all yours experiences and knowledge, is it that bad? During a concert are police presence stepped up. I am also planning on taking the metro, but my dad offered to drop me off and come back to drive both ways. Would that be smarter? Im also going to be with 3 other friends, if that makes a difference in size of group.

hahahahahahah... okay not to laugh at you but i was in the same boat when i was 15 or so... needless to say back then that neighborhood was REALLY bad.

nowadays its fine. take a cab or have your dad drive you. don't take the metro though unless you are with a group would be my suggestion.

and keep like ten bucks on you. muggers get angry when you have no money.

17?

now theres a concert i'd be embarrassed to say i went too... then again, i've seen destiny's child perform twice :doh:

So I just got back from the concert problem free. No issues with the metro going there or home. No issue at the club. There were 4 bands, opening up was My favorite highway, they were decent to go. Then was Carolina Liar who started out weird but were good. Then We The Kings were really good, and then The Academy is was amazing. I really had a good time, and so did my friends.

Archived