Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why can't Mike Sellers be our Brandon Jacobs?

BleedinBurgNGold

Is it because he can't hold on to the Ball? Both of these men have similar builds. Jacobs is 6-4 264. Sellers is 6-3 270 (or more). Sellers has also shown us he has some hops in the open field, jacobs has more quicks in the open field. It seems the Skins should at least try to work Sellers into more of a carrying back as well as remaining a Blocking Back. Obviously the bulk of his work would still be Blocking, but I think it would be a hell of a Three headed monster with Portis & Betts. Thoughts?

HTTR :dallasuck:applause:

He's just not as shifty... that being said I'd never trade Sellers for Jacobs. The only thing that makes Jacobs good is the fact that he's the size of an Olineman who can run forward faster. If you can penetrate the Giants Oline (tough to do, but if you know it's a run play much easier) he can't make one guy miss in the backfield.

He's a great fit for the Giants because of the WR corps they got there, and their knowledge of the system that's been in place for so long now. Defense's usually have to play them honest, so Jacobs looks a lot better than he is. Don't get me wrong, he's very good... but I think he gets too much credit. Almost anytime the LOS is busy at the snap, he doesn't go anywhere.

I don't know, you watch Brandon Jacobs and he has some moves. He's no Barry Sanders or anything but he's no fullback either. The guy is a running back with a fullback's size.

Sellers is a fullback with a fullback's size. Huge difference.

Sellers runs the ball like a lineman, not a tailback, halfback, or fullback...

They're similar in height/weight stats but that's where the similarities end. Jacobs has a different body type than Sellers, is quicker and has better built through consistently carrying the ball. Sellers is a great fullback, a masher who can use his size to clear out paths but probably isn't going to run around or past anyone. Sellers is definitely tougher though, although Jacobs has run lower over the last year or so and has learned how to initiate contact. When Jacobs was a rookie he was a short yardage guy who ran straight up and couldn't get the tough yards.

Obviously the bulk of his work would still be Blocking, but I think it would be a hell of a Three headed monster with Portis & Betts. Thoughts?

Sellars is a great FB. But, he is still just a FB not a RB. He's no where near Brandon Jacobs, he's not even a Mike Alstott.

However, i'm all for a return to the Sellars goal line playaction pass from 2005:

12 catches 7 TDs-

:cheers:

Archived