Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why can't Mike Sellers be our Brandon Jacobs?

BleedinBurgNGold

Mike is a guy who runs into people, running backs have to run to daylight. As big as Mike is, look at the Kannoy Kennedy hit last year vs. Detroit. He knocked Kennedy ass over teakettle and Kennedy still made the tackle by tangling up Mike's legs.

A natural runner just makes Kennedy miss and keeps going. Mike is a load and a baaad *shut your mouth* but a natural running back he is not. Having said that, neither is Jacobs and the poster who said that Jacobs is impotent if you get to him early is exactly right. If he can't square his shoulders and run downhill he is ineffective.

Dam that, Im a big fan of Sellers, but I'd make that trade in a heartbeat.....

Me too...

Sellers is very good once he gets set and moving downhill though. He does very well catching the short to mid range stuff. I wish Zorn would use the screen more with Sellers and Portis. He needs to figure how to get guys like Sellers and Cooley involved in more than just pass protection when playing against high pressure defenses. Screens might help somewhat.

Sellers runs the ball like a lineman, not a tailback, halfback, or fullback...

QFT. I don't know why some think that just because the guy is big, he's a solution to the short yardage situations. Sellers isn't a goal line back. Why do you think he doesn't get the nod in those situations? Cuz he can't do it.

On top of that, someone showed some stats of doing a play action to Sellers at the goal line or something. How many attempts was that out of? It seems like it's more often than not an incomplete pass from the ball getting batted down (cuz Sellers is slow and can't get separation for life) or Sellers doesn't catch it.

Don't get me wrong. I like Sellers as a blocker. But don't put the dude on a pedestal cuz he's big.

Agreed. Like him a lot, but Mike just isn't the ball carrier that Jacobs is and won't be. As an occasional,(read: rare change up), receiver out of the backfield and runner he's okay for some yards. Can't see him doing this full time or even half the time that Jacobs plays.

Personally, I'd like to see Sellers in for a couple of series at tailback, in a modified Riggo-drill. Bring him in fresh in the mid- to late 3rd quarter when the D is winded a bit and let him go to work. He could handle it...

what evidence do you have of his play as a ball carrier to back that up?

i've seen mike getting stopped on numerous 3rd and shorts throughout his time here. the guy is a great blocker and i like him a lot, but he doesn't need to handle the rock much

Is it because he can't hold on to the Ball? Both of these men have similar builds. Jacobs is 6-4 264. Sellers is 6-3 270 (or more). Sellers has also shown us he has some hops in the open field, jacobs has more quicks in the open field. It seems the Skins should at least try to work Sellers into more of a carrying back as well as remaining a Blocking Back. Obviously the bulk of his work would still be Blocking, but I think it would be a hell of a Three headed monster with Portis & Betts. Thoughts?

HTTR :dallasuck:applause:

Not agile enough, IMO.

I think Sellers running the football is a very scary thing. Scary from the standpoint that the guy could fumble on his very first carry. Zorn knows what he has with Sellers and that's a very good blocking FB. Zorn would have used Sellers as a RB by now if he thought the guy had the potential to run the football.

what evidence do you have of his play as a ball carrier to back that up?

i've seen mike getting stopped on numerous 3rd and shorts throughout his time here. the guy is a great blocker and i like him a lot, but he doesn't need to handle the rock much

We caught a glimpse of it in 2007 against Detroit when Gibbs called his number 3 or 4 times in a row. 5 carries, 24 yards in that limited stint. He was pumped, the crowd got excited, and then he was out. And granted, the CFL is nothing near the NFL, but he carried the rock there, so it's not a foreign concept to him.

Short yardage might not be his forte, but in a normal set he'll have some open space, where he can break tackles and run over people.

We caught a glimpse of it in 2007 against Detroit when Gibbs called his number 3 or 4 times in a row. 5 carries, 24 yards in that limited stint. He was pumped, the crowd got excited, and then he was out. And granted, the CFL is nothing near the NFL, but he carried the rock there, so it's not a foreign concept to him.

Short yardage might not be his forte, but in a normal set he'll have some open space, where he can break tackles and run over people.

Should we have Lorenzo ALexander run?

So, based on 5 carries for 24 yards he should be as good as Brandon Jacobs?

:D That is good.

Personally, I'd like to see Sellers in for a couple of series at tailback, in a modified Riggo-drill. Bring him in fresh in the mid- to late 3rd quarter when the D is winded a bit and let him go to work. He could handle it...

Just because it works Madden doesn't mean it works in real life.

Should we trade Malcom Kelly for Asante Samuel? It worked in Madden...

That's a good point. Sellers ain't gonna push the pile but if he's running the ball and going mano a mano, he may have a better chance. THAT'D be worth experimenting in my opinion.

But please stop throwing to the man. Defenders can stick to him by jogging. Also, he doesn't have very good hands.

...because he isn't Brandon Jacobs.

Why can't Jason Campbell be our Tom Brady? Why can't Santana be our Randy?

Probably cuz Randy has 9 feet on Santana to start with. :doh:

I was never trying to say Sellers could be Jacobs. I just think he could be worked into more of a carrying back based on his past experience running the ball and his size. Could be an added bonus

Archived