Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

100 Greatest Singers of All Time - Rolling Stone

Dan T.

kurt was a great singer in the fact that his voice was unique, it had a quality all its own and honestly was no worse then james brown's voice.

Kurt's strong point was screaming. His voice sounded great for grunge rock. The last thing I enjoyed about their unplugged album would be his singing. The band was wound incredibly tight that night, however, and it was magic.

But James Brown, my friend, c'mon. Those boisterous outbursts rival that of David Lee Roth. James Brown had about 600 x more energy than Kurt and looked the exact opposite of depressed...which was Kurt's only emotion. My father used to tell me James Brown and Otis Redding are the only two guys he thought would have a spontanious heart explosion on stage.

Are you saying that b/c you think Elvis is not high enough? Or too high?

Say what you want about Elvis- and its probably all true- but the guy had one of the best pure voices in all of recording history.

I'm saying he's too high. I simply cannot find anything I like about his voice. I think both Al Green and Freddie Mercury should be ahead of him. :2cents:

Kurt's strong point was screaming. His voice sounded great for grunge rock. The last thing I enjoyed about their unplugged album would be his singing. The band was wound incredibly tight that night, however, and it was magic.

But James Brown, my friend, c'mon. Those boisterous outbursts rival that of David Lee Roth. James Brown had about 600 x more energy than Kurt and looked the exact opposite of depressed...which was Kurt's only emotion. My father used to tell me James Brown and Otis Redding are the only two guys he thought would have a spontanious heart explosion on stage.

james brown did more then scream? come on man, i know he is a legend but the man never sang a note in his life. and he barely sung english anyways. and energy is not singing either.

i think you just like james more then kurt because i cant see a difference in style of singing between the two of them.

I'm saying he's too high. I simply cannot find anything I like about his voice. I think both Al Green and Freddie Mercury should be ahead of him. :2cents:

blasphemy!

Now ugliest front man in all of rock history, old forklift-teeth might get the nod.

That is so far off from the truth that you should have a "research before posting" button. Maynard HATES mainstream media and has been extremely adamant not to let record companies or pop culture influence Tool's sound. He knows, just as well as most people that actually LOVE the history of music, that Rolling Stone magazine is a piece of garbage. He is quite an interesting fellow, but arrogant, he is not. Voting for himself only stuck a big finger up to everyone who is ignorant enough to give a **** about this list.

And Bingo was his Name-O.

blasphemy!

Now ugliest front man in all of rock history, old forklift-teeth might get the nod.

man, that giant Magnum PI mustache couldnt even hide them choppers!! can you imagine the dentist who worked on those things!! he would have to clear his schedule for the whole afternoon!!

James Brown certainly was never a singer. Never.

He was indeed an entertainer...and that's it.

and a great one at that!! :2cents:

blasphemy!

My buddy from college, his stepdad was the coolest old man ever. I'll tell you why.

The stepdad went to Graceland with my buddy's mom on a roadtrip and someone commented on how beautiful Graceland was.

He responded with:

"It would be a lot better if they'd stop playing all this ****ty music"

No matter how you feel about Elvis, that's a ballsy thing for a 60-something year old man to say at Graceland.

james brown did more then scream? come on man, i know he is a legend but the man never sang a note in his life. and he barely sung english anyways. and energy is not singing either.

i think you just like james more then kurt because i cant see a difference in style of singing between the two of them.

James Brown - This Is A Man's World

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYq13p1Qk7o

Even Elvis himself thought the two greatest voices even were Howling Wolf and mostly Roy Orbison. Roy is the only person Elvis wouldn't follow, because he knew he couldn't hang with him.

Maybe the greatest voice ever.

I would agree- Orbison was perfect

thats singing like "rape me" is singing. :2cents:

It's all in how you define singing. You CAN scream off key. It is HARD to scream on key. I include screaming in my definition of singing, but when it comes to screaming, I'm pretty particular. James had outstanding timing and tastefulness mixing his screams and pure singing.

James has a smokey, rocky voice more than he diliberately screamed. It was all in energetic and incredibly dynamic harmony, rather than almost lazily blabbering through songs like Kurt. Until of course he would yell during the choruses. But I can see where you're coming from, funky soul...grunge rock...same thing.

If I were to make a list of greatest singers ever, I wouldn't rank the most "talented" singers, per say. Singers that just build their vocal chords like bodybuilders build biceps. Music isn't as much a competition as it is knowing when to do something and why you're doing it, all instinctually. I didn't even click on the link, anybody can tell me where little Stevie Wonder is ranked?

Edit: he's #9...at least he's top 10.

Archived