Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Manning's Pass to Wayne (Redskins Related)

jrfriedm

I too believe that we need to stick with what works this year, however, Thomas or Kelly or Moss or Davis, any of these guys can be told 4 verticles and just run. Every once in a while it is a good idea to stretch the field, and I mean without Thrash, it does alleviate a defense which in turn could help CP run the ball more!

While watching the Colts and Steelers game, I witnessed a fifty yard pass (in the air) by Manning that got tipped by the DB and Wayne was able to pull it in and score.

These things happen when you throw the ball down field. You get pass interference calls, you long receptions, and yes you will also get interceptions. However, you have to take the good w/ the bad.

The Redskins have to start doing more of this, They have to start taking a minium of 5 shots per game of over forty yards in the air. Not only will this enable us to get at least (on average) two big plays a game, but it will also open the running game even more.

Your Thoughts?

My thoughts are that if that had been the Redskins, 3/4ths of this board would be blasting JC for a poorly thrown deep ball, that the Skins got lucky, that Campbell "can't throw" the long bomb accurately, complaining that "if that had been a half-way decent corner it would have been an INT", and using it as proof that our offense still isn't working.

Yea, but I thought it was because that Brunell didn't have the arm to throw the ball down field? :doh:

Clearly, it had nothing to do w/ Brunell, and clearly you had/have no idea what you are talking about.

Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about. But I do know that none of us are NFL coaches...and I think those guys know a thing or two about the game of football. So none of us really have the right to say what we NEED to do.

The deep ball is obviously lacking, but this is a west coast style offense. The offense is still developing and we really need to be content with what we have done so far. 6 wins is 6 wins. In the NFL, that is ALL that matters.

Exactly, Just have the guy run a fly pattern and throw him the damn ball.

We did against the Steelers and the CB beat him on his own route.

Man, your posts sound like your playing Madden.

DT has not learned how to create seperation. Randle El is NOT a deep threat. Cooley is a mid-range threat. You do what your talent allows you to do.

I think you need to re-think your arguments. No one here is saying we don't want to throw deep. What you fail to get is we do not have the personel to do it. Also, if you want everyone stop saying stupid '****', then maybe you should stop first.

While watching the Colts and Steelers game, I witnessed a fifty yard pass (in the air) by Manning that got tipped by the DB and Wayne was able to pull it in and score.

These things happen when you throw the ball down field. You get pass interference calls, you long receptions, and yes you will also get interceptions. However, you have to take the good w/ the bad.

The Redskins have to start doing more of this, They have to start taking a minium of 5 shots per game of over forty yards in the air. Not only will this enable us to get at least (on average) two big plays a game, but it will also open the running game even more.

Your Thoughts?

You are a smart football guy, I was screaming for them to throw it deep early to loosen up the defense.

We did against the Steelers and the CB beat him on his own route.

Man, your posts sound like your playing Madden.

DT has not learned how to create seperation. Randle El is NOT a deep threat. Cooley is a mid-range threat. You do what your talent allows you to do.

I think you need to re-think your arguments. No one here is saying we don't want to throw deep. What you fail to get is we do not have the personel to do it. Also, if you want everyone stop saying stupid '****', then maybe you should stop first.

If you use your personal correctly you can do find ways of throwing the ball down the field. Thomas is the biggest WR on this team and he can out jump most DB's. It doesn't take a genius to understand that you throw the ball up high and let him go get it. ARE is a deep threat, he is just not being used as such, Cooley is all threat, he can do the short, mid, and long range stuff.

If you are going to try to argue w/ me, then you had better go back to school and learn a thing or two.

Just a few comments here:

Moss was obviously not 100%. He's really the main deep threat right now.

There were a few times that Campbell wanted to go deeper and had to check down. You could see him looking down field and seeing that the play wasn't there and went to his checkdown.

I didn't see the play in question from the Indy game, but from the description, it sounds like it would have been considered a bad decision by Zorn. Just because you got a good result from the play doesn't mean it was a good decision.

Just a few comments here:

Moss was obviously not 100%. He's really the main deep threat right now.

There were a few times that Campbell wanted to go deeper and had to check down. You could see him looking down field and seeing that the play wasn't there and went to his checkdown.

I didn't see the play in question from the Indy game, but from the description, it sounds like it would have been considered a bad decision by Zorn. Just because you got a good result from the play doesn't mean it was a good decision.

Yes. You a correct, however; you have to get lucky to win in this league sometimes, and you have to throw the ball deep in order to give yourself that chance to get lucky.

If you use your personal correctly you can do find ways of throwing the ball down the field. Thomas is the biggest WR on this team and he can out jump most DB's. It doesn't take a genius to understand that you throw the ball up high and let him go get it. ARE is a deep threat, he is just not being used as such, Cooley is all threat, he can do the short, mid, and long range stuff.

The second part of the equation is adequate pass protection and right now the O-Line isn't providing it. Zorn knows this and is not dialing up the long pass plays.

The second part of the equation is adequate pass protection and right now the O-Line isn't providing it. Zorn knows this and is not dialing up the long pass plays.

:applause: thank you. i mean really, when was the last time you saw jc take a 7 step drop and was able to throw the ball in rhythm. that's right...it was probably the same game that tana torched the boys.

Re-watch the games. The O-line is suppose to hold their block for five seconds, JC has been given five to six seconds on more than several occasions, but is scared or lacks the ability to go down field.

There is no way he is getting 5 to 6 seconds.

If he is apprehensive it is because he is throwing to people who are barely 5'10" in their CLEATS. :doh:

Just wait until Campbell can trust the tall dudes. Then maybe we will see more interceptions......errrrr.......I mean tipped balls for touchdowns.

If he is apprehensive it is because he is throwing to people who are barely 5'10" in their CLEATS. :doh:

Just wait until Campbell can trust the tall dudes. Then maybe we will see more interceptions......errrrr.......I mean tipped balls for touchdowns.

Watch the game tape.

People also need to remember that this poor O-Line is opening up holes for the second leading rusher in the league. Obviously, they are doing their job.

Watch the game tape.

People also need to remember that this poor O-Line is opening up holes for the second leading rusher in the league. Obviously, they are doing their job.

There is a difference between run-blocking and pass-blocking...with run-blocking the o-line is in more control and know where they are going whereas with pass-blocking, they do not.

I'm just trying to figure out why he's not going for the down field reciever.

Well, it's not a lack of ability to do so, since we've seen him do so numerous times over the past two years...but he very well could have been a bit skittish after getting pummelled by the Steeler's defense all game long and decided to get rid of the ball as soon as possible to as safe a target as possible. As well as I'm sure JC and Zorn both wanted to try and get an offensive rhythm established to finally get some control over the game...that's what helped them beat the Eagles when they fell behind 14-0 almost instantly. Moss was completely taken out of that game, I mean zero catches, and the Skins still chipped away and controlled the ball and the clock and established their offensive rhythm, which carried them through the 2nd half. Maybe they were trying to do the same thing here...

Throwing deep is about separation, not height. It doesn't matter how tall you are, if you can't separate from the DBs, you aren't going to be very successful.

Manning, possibly the greatest QB of our era, is 9 for 23 so far against the Steelers. There's the one pass to Wayne and a short td drive off a stupid Roethlisberger INT. Polamalu dropped one right in his lap. We need to lighten up on JC.

So based off of jrfriedm genius posts, since he knows it all, we have learned this:

1) Run blocking is the same as pass blocking

2) Devin Thomas is Randy Moss and all we need to do is throw the ball up to him'

3) JC doesn't know how to throw a deep ball

4) Jansen is great at pass blocking

5) Throwing deep is the only way to win games (that is why we are 3-6)

6) Standard pass blocking times is 6 seconds and the Skins do it everytime.

Thanks for the football lesson. Maybe you should send your thoughts to Dan Snyder and he will make you a special consultant.

Ok guys, I have to go back to school, because apparently I have to learn a "thing or two"!

Archived