Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Manning's Pass to Wayne (Redskins Related)

jrfriedm

While watching the Colts and Steelers game, I witnessed a fifty yard pass (in the air) by Manning that got tipped by the DB and Wayne was able to pull it in and score.

These things happen when you throw the ball down field. You get pass interference calls, you long receptions, and yes you will also get interceptions. However, you have to take the good w/ the bad.

The Redskins have to start doing more of this, They have to start taking a minium of 5 shots per game of over forty yards in the air. Not only will this enable us to get at least (on average) two big plays a game, but it will also open the running game even more.

Your Thoughts?

I totaly agree, but you also have to have suffiecient pass protection to throw deep and you also have to have one on one coverage on a deep ball for it to be sucessful usually, and taking that Moss is our only deep threat at the moment he is usually double teamed and its dangerous to go deep when a receiver is double covered hence we dont go deep often. Maybe Thomas will be ready to play more snaps have more balls thrown his way to start becoming somewhat a threat and get some coverage off Moss, but until we get Campbell more time to throw the ball deep and get another threat so Moss can be freed up i dont see us being a deep ball type of team. Just my thought.:dallasuck

I am sure there will be plenty of responses saying otherwise, I personally agree with what you're saying. I just think he (Zorn) doesn't call certain plays because of JC.

It is very irritating to watch EVERY other team in the league go for big plays, rather it is Matt Ryan in his 1st game or a Detroit backup... We'll see in the other half of the season I guess.

You bring in Fred Davis and run the two-tight end pass scheme that the Titans do to spread things out and then hit the deep ball when the safeties become obsessed with trying to stop Cooley and Davis in the 10-20 yard zone.

I am just curious how well a player like Maurice Mann could perform for the Redskins if the team finally put Kelly on IR and promoted MM from the practice squad.

It was a fluke play. You want to pass deep for fluke plays?

1) That should have been INT'd

2) They have Gonzalez and Harrison taking attention away from Wayne

You do not throw deep, just to throw deep. 3rd and long? Sure, why not as long as the team is prepared for an INT. Otherwise play smart football.

didn't know we played in 1 WR sets all the time, and Moss was the only one who could catch balls......If moss is doubled, then either ARE or Cooley are 1 on 1.

ARE or Cooley would not be used for the long, downfield throws that the OP wants. Better hope that Kelly can play or else the downfield passing game won't exist.

Doesn't this discussion come up every single year? Don't you guys understand that Peyton has been in that offense for like 10 years? Just be patient. This offense is STILL in its infant stage. These things WILL come.

Thank you for this post.

Doesn't this discussion come up every single year? Don't you guys understand that Peyton has been in that offense for like 10 years? Just be patient. This offense is STILL in its infant stage. These things WILL come.
True, true, but I also noticed rookie Flacco doing the same thing today vs. Houston.

With whom? Santana Moss is double-covered.

Well, then ARE, Thomas, even Thrash should be open and could at least have a shot getting a pass interference call. I'm so tired of hearing that Thomas doesn't know the offense yet, well how hard is it for him to run straight up the field?

ARE or Cooley would not be used for the long, downfield throws that the OP wants. Better hope that Kelly can play or else the downfield passing game won't exist.

Why wouldn't I want ARE or Cooley being used like that, and what makes you think that it depends soley on Kelly?

Yea, but I thought it was because that Brunell didn't have the arm to throw the ball down field? :doh:

Clearly, it had nothing to do w/ Brunell, and clearly you had/have no idea what you are talking about.

That's nice optimism there, but right now there is a gaping hole at receiver that might be too big to overcome.

It was a fluke play. You want to pass deep for fluke plays?

1) That should have been INT'd

2) They have Gonzalez and Harrison taking attention away from Wayne

You do not throw deep, just to throw deep. 3rd and long? Sure, why not as long as the team is prepared for an INT. Otherwise play smart football.

I whole heartedly agree. Infact I just texted my Steelers budy and said that was bogus and teams get lucky like that 3 times a season

Indy has a huge advantage over us against the Pitt defense.

Manning calls his own plays at the line... he can change it at will based on what he sees instantly. He's also very good at reading defenses and making the correct change. He's also much quicker through his progressions.

Campbell is young and just does not have this type of expeirence or expertise yet.

I whole heartedly agree. Infact I just texted my Steelers budy and said that was bogus and teams get lucky like that 3 times a season

No. Those are the kinds of things that happen when you throw the ball down field to playmakers and give them a chance to make a play. Just like the Steelers just did on the flea flicker.

Well, then ARE, Thomas, even Thrash should be open and could at least have a shot getting a pass interference call. I'm so tired of hearing that Thomas doesn't know the offense yet, well how hard is it for him to run straight up the field?

Why wouldn't I want ARE or Cooley being used like that, and what makes you think that it depends soley on Kelly?

JC doesn't trust Thomas enough to throw downfield, so Zorn will have to make Jason do that.

Thrash doesn't have the speed and ARE doesn't have the size for separation.

Cooley is more of a safety valve and stays near the line b/c Zorn doesn't trust Jansen to provide adequate pass protection.

JC doesn't trust Thomas enough to throw downfield, so Zorn will have to make Jason do that.

Thrash doesn't have the speed and ARE doesn't have the size for separation.

Cooley is more of a safety valve and stays near the line b/c Zorn doesn't trust Jansen to provide adequate pass protection.

ARE gets seperation just fine. If JC doesn't trust a WR enough to throw to him when he is open, then find another QB. Zorn trusts Jansen just fine, only idiots like you say and think stupid **** like that.

Speaking of which, I think we are ready to make the change back to Heyer at RT. Jansen has played hard and mostly well over the past 4-5 weeks in the run game, but he has allowed too much pressure on JC from the outside.

And as indicated here, we have had to limit what Cooley and others can do in the passing game because they have to stay in and help on that right side.

I agree we need to go downfield more. But you greatly increase your chances when throwing into a crowd if you have WRs over 5'-9". Moss doesn't seem to get separation when he is hurting either, and his hamstring will likely persist thru the season. As expected. This is probably why Zorn is hesitant to stick Kelly on IR.

And I don't care how dense Thomas is, if we shoot him down the sidelines long, we might make a play with him. That is, if the OL tightens up and can give JC some time for a receiver to get long. I'd say poor passpro is the main reason we aren't stretching the field.

I agree we need to go downfield more. But you greatly increase your chances when throwing into a crowd if you have WRs over 5'-9". Moss doesn't seem to get separation when he is hurting either, and his hamstring will likely persist thru the season. As expected. This is probably why Zorn is hesitant to stick Kelly on IR.

And I don't care how dense Thomas is, if we shoot him down the sidelines long, we might make a play with him. That is, if the OL tightens up and can give JC some time for a receiver to get long. I'd say poor passpro is the main reason we aren't stretching the field.

Exactly, Just have the guy run a fly pattern and throw him the damn ball.

ARE gets seperation just fine. If JC doesn't trust a WR enough to throw to him when he is open, then find another QB. Zorn trusts Jansen just fine, only idiots like you say and think stupid **** like that.

JC has stated on the Doc Walker podcast that there are "trust issues" with Thomas and he will not throw to him because time is tight in the pocket. I know this because Doc read my email question directly to JC.

Zorn does not like Jansen and don't be surprised if Heyer recalims his spot after the bye. Here is a quote from the last Jim Zorn show: "We are not winning the individual battles on the o-line and because of this Jason is too quick to throw the ball". Why do you think Jansen was benched in the first half anyway?

Archived