Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

So What About The Skins' Offense Has Been "Exposed" In Your Eyes?...

We are too one dimensional.

Have an average line.

Our recieving group is fragile.

And give credit where it's due. The Steelers are a very very good team who brought their best last Monday night.

Top these factors off with the fact that the offense played rather poorly (with a great deal of help from Pittsburgh) and it was a disasterious game.

I don't know if the Steelers "exposed" these facts as much as exploited

them. But the funny thing about the NFL is the ways in which teams can change from week to week. There is every chance that this lose, while painful, will be a distant memory after three weeks.

Not sure what you were seeing. I was there, and I didn't see any wide open guys for touchdowns. I did see Jason go through his progressions. No question Jason had a very rough game, he missed some throws that he should have hit, but he'll learn and grow. The lack of a true no. 2 wideout is killing us against good defenses.

Then you did not watch the whole field. There were broken plays where the Steelers did not cover some the WRs and sold out to cover Moss.

I went to the Steelers, Saints and Cardinals games. The Steelers game was awful.

He would go in his deep drop look to one side and throw it to Moss while Randel El is jumping up and down because the Steelers either forgot about him or assumed Campbell would not turn his head.

The WRs like Thomas and Thrash would always just shake their head and go to the sidelines.

Its really fustrating. For example remember when Thrash was the go to WR when everyone was hurt vs Philly last year? Campbell looked for Thrash every time and Thrash had a huge day.

This year Thrash could be just as open and Campbell is stuck on his first progession.

I am not sure why he does not look at all his progressions.

That is weird. At least we know that Jim Zorn won't let him get away with that. Campbell seems like a smart guy, and I think he can improve.

We are too one dimensional.

Have an average line.

I still think we have a good line. Pittsburgh made them look bad though.

The only thing is, over the past several weeks Portis has been lights-out against teams "stuffing the box" (if that's what they've been doing)...so while you're right, a great defense like the Steelers can do this and stop both Portis and pressure Campbell into hurried throws, will other teams be able to duplicate their efforts and have the same success?

That remains to be seen. However, I doubt other teams will be able to duplicate that type of shutdown. Steelers have #1 defense for a reason

And when I'm saying "exposed," I mean the Steelers showed that our O-line collapses under pressure from elite defenses. And maybe exposed isn't the most correct wording, maybe it should be "proved." The Steelers defense proved that we have got to address our o-line issues in order to take that next step against the elite teams and defenses.

That is weird. At least we know that Jim Zorn won't let him get away with that. Campbell seems like a smart guy, and I think he can improve.

I still think we have a good line. Pittsburgh made them look bad though.

I didn't say bad. Just average and much better at run blocking then pass blocking. And with age and Chris fighting a knee ailment it was not the best time to play the Steelers.

The thing that was exposed or shown in the Steelers game, and really throughout this season and the last 4yrs is that our offense does not throw the ball into the endzone...That is why we don't score points in the redzone...If we aren't inside of the 5yd line when we're passing we don't throw the ball into the endzone, we always throw it short and hope the reciever can run it in...

Also that you can attack Jansen and Rabach on the line and disrupt the timing on offense...

They've either taken away the deep ball or we haven't tried it since the Philly game. Also, as others have said, pressure the O-Line on passing downs, escpecially Jansen's side. They give us everything underneath and nothing over the LBs.

Who is he going to throw it to? Thomas? Thrash?

We need a RT...

We need young depth... we need maulers on the line.

We have a RT in Heyer, but most people here for some reason don't like him. I was at the Carolina preseason game and the guy is a "mountain". He stood head and shoulders above all our offensive linemen. So here's the thing, you put Heyer in, you lose some on the ground (but he did play LT against Det and CP had 130 yards) or you keep Jansen in and continue to get sacked. Wouldn't it be nice if we could change them in and out on running plays? We have Rhinehart who looked like a mauler in preseason, Geisinger and we stupidly let Cincy take Crummey from the practice squad. We have a couple of guys on the PS that may turn out to be pretty good.

Two things that bugged me about the game:

A. Zorn's reluctance to take what the Defense gave him. For the entire first half, the CB covering Moss was at least 10-15 yards deep. We only threw one quick out to him as I recall, which resulted in a 5 yard gain on 1st down.

B. The Steelers didn't necessarily shut down CP. CP had only 13 carries for 51-ish yards, which is not that bad. We should've tried rushing it a bit more with CP, given as how he seems to get stronger as the game goes on.

If CP gets his 26 carries, he has 102 yards, which isn't bad against the Steelers run D. But we got down early in the 3rd quarter. By then we had to pass.

I don't so much think that anything specifically was exposed because the offense hasn't been impressive to begin with. The Redskins don't get TD's in the redzone and can't sustain drives against most teams. The defense has kept every game winnable and the fact that the offense wasn't turning the ball over in most games was enough to win with 1-2TD's and 2-3 field goals.

The offense hasn't been that great all year other than Portis and the OL against weaker defenses and Campbell taking care of the ball. The OL looked as bad as it did in the Giants game on MNF so I guess they just aren't that good. Everytime we face tough defenses like Pitt or NY we will be incapable of doing anything on offense because Portis opens up the rest of the offense apparently.

So I predict no offense losses against NY in a few weeks and then Baltimore but we should get wins against Sea, Cincy, and SF. So we should have at least 9 wins and maybe a split with Dallas and Philly then one and done in the playoffs if we play a good defense like the Bears, Bucs, or Giants, maybe even Atlanta has a decent enough defense.

I think thats why it keeps coming back to the OL and DL. For weeks the team will look good and everybody will claim that we don't need better OL and DL but then when we face the good tough teams, not Dallas they just have "talent", we see our OL get ate up and our DL fail to get pressure. Well our DL didn't look that bad but the OL was garbage all game and I don't see us beating teams like NY or Chicago unless they just turn the ball over all game and we don't.

I agree with this assessment 100%.

This is exactly why I wish that we had more of a threat on both our PR and KR teams. I love the field position that Rock gives us most of the times on KR's, but admit it, do you ever expect him to break one and put points on the board? And Randle El...:doh:...not only don't we expect him to put points on the board, he doesn't even help out with giving us decent field position.

Who is he going to throw it to? Thomas? Thrash?

Thomas is a good deep route runner. But I don't mean throw it 80 yds every time. 25-35 yard shots. Teams have not respected our deep ball, because we don't throw it. You have to keep the LBs and safeties honest every once in a while even if you don't complete it. I know the WCO is dink and dunk with YAC, but you still have go further than 10 yards at a time. We should IR Kelly and bring up the guy from the practice squad Ashama-somthing who played in Indy with Manning. It would at least be one more body on the field and Moss and ARE could get a rest. Thrash has very good hands, so yes, he should be thrown to more. Plus he's spent ALOT of time in the WCO in Philly and probably understands it more than any of our WRs.

Cooley has been exposed. LOL

we havent exposed ourself i would just say our offence was not a matchup to the steelers and we played like crap in the other losses so we are not an exposed team such as the cowboys i feel verry good coming out of the buy week going down the home streach i see us droping only 1 or two of those games and lets just hope that it dosnt come against one of our nfc east opponets. but i see no exposure case no other team can bring what the steelers brought against us.

The Steelers exposed that if you have an elite defense, the Skins offense will struggle against it. Hmm, an offense still being learned by the team struggled against an elite defense just as everyone else has (evidenced by the fact only the Jags and Giants have scored outside of the teens against the Steelers, 21 points each)? Go on. Every team is now going to replicate the same amount of pressure and stop us, because apparently it is just that easy.

Seriously, I can't be the only one who finds it hilarious that because our OL and O didn't look great against the Steelers it somehow means we can't overcome teams who apply good pressure now. Nobody's offense has looked efficient against the Steelers, even the Giants didn't score as much as they normally do. It took a blocked punt and big PI calls for the Steelers to edge us out. We beat the Eagles and Cowboys who's defenses are based on creating pressure. We lost to the Giants in our first game of the season by 9 points, and now we lost to the Steelers with our playmakers on O playing banged up and us playing the last game before the bye of a very long stretch of 14 games.

IMO, given the fact most people were predicting a 7-9 or 8-8 season at the start, everyone should keep that in mind and realize that their perceptions of what this team can and can't do might be off. After the bye we get a lot of talented starters back in a final push of games that are mostly should-wins. In that time span are offense can gel further, and our injured guys can get back in the groove of things. Our remaining 3 division games are at home, which is a benefit as well. Things are actually looking up for the Skins, so maybe we should all stop looking down so much after each loss. They are going to happen, and while criticism is certainly warranted after a loss, acting as if it somehow means the team is now screwed when they are 6-3 and have an easier schedule remaining is not warranted, rather it is sensationalistic.

Defensively: This team can't handle the deep ball. Week after week we're burned for long gains.

Offensively: Our O-line is getting older and is seriously banged up. The Midgets and the Steelers overloaded our line. And no matter what, if our O-line can't keep up then naturally the entire offense will look bad. :helmet:

I dont think so. I think it comes down to the O not knowing/having a full playbook in the redzone.

It's not like Campbell can't score down there, look at the Dallas game, etc.

I think redzone scoring will come in time, but hopefully sooner rather than later.

I think people fail to realize that the Steelers managed to put us in a strange situation for our team. They actually scored 23 points on about 220 yards of offense. If you had told be that Steelers would only get 220 yards, i would have figured they scored about 10-13 points and lost. We had to abandon our normal offense and play out of our comfort zone. That's difficult against any team, but nearly impossible against the Steelers.

Giants have never played our offense.

Defensively: This team can't handle the deep ball. Week after week we're burned for long gains.

Huh?!

Twice we've been burnt on underthrown passes (very difficult to defend).

Twice? we've given up deep passes.

Umm... We played the top 5 offenses in football and have barely given up anything. How is it that we can't handle the deep ball?

I am not one who thinks that our offense has been "exposed."

Here is the way I see it. The WCO has been around for decades, and when run effectively, it is incredibly difficult to stop. The offense has an answer almost anything that a defense can throw at you.

I'm not sure if most people are aware of this, but Dick LeBeau's defense was originally DESIGNED to stop the west coast offense with zone blitz schemes.

Think about that for a moment. The Pittsburgh defensive unit is an expert at beating the system that our players have JUST LEARNED.

Major weaknesses in pass protection (coughJansencough) and no big target for JC. Barring a Malcolm Kelly miracle, I don't see how we can solve the latter because Thomas is at best a project right now and at worst a bust in the making.

Archived