Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

So What About The Skins' Offense Has Been "Exposed" In Your Eyes?...

We've been exposed that all you have to do is stop Portis and you stop the Skins. And that JC can't/won't win you a game on his back. He's a game manager and game managers dont win you games

Portis, statistically at least, had a worse game against the Cardinals (68 yards, 3.2 ypc against Arizona vs 51 yards and 3.9 ypc against the Steelers), but the Skins still played well and won. Campbell completed 73% of his passes and threw 2 TDs...so it does appear he can win you games when Portis is not running well, not just manage them. Maybe we should have just kept feeding Portis the ball, even while behind?...

Pitt didn't expose us on offensive at all...yes, Pitt has the #1 ranked D and they played like it...we couldn't move the ball throughout the game, but that's how they dictate the games

what i am more concerned about is the lack of TDs...for some reason, the Offense just doesn't know how to move the ball once it reaches the 30yard line...we had one possession at Pitt 37, another on Pitt 30, and a third around midfield, all in the 1st quarter, but couldn't do anything with those great field possession

the last 4 games, we just can't score TDs in the 1st half, and what's alarming is that 3 of those games have been at HOME...i don't know what the problem is, but it isn't getting corrected since it's been a trend for 4 straight weeks, and 3 of the games were against weak competition...hopefully the bye week will settle that

I was surprised at the completion percentage campbell has on the deeper passes (20-40 yards)....Even worse than last years...

Until we improve on that, and actually score in the redzone we will not be considered serious superbowl contenders.

yeah, i was shocked to see those numbers...i believe it was something like this:

0-10 yards---76%

11-20 yards---23%

21+yards---8%

that's not good at all...he doesn't make too many throws down field and everything is just underneath, and i'd really like him to make the defense defend those long balls

I gotta question here for anyone willing to answer honestly...

Do you honestly believe that were we to play the Steelers again right now, or that somehow when we played them Monday Night it was a game that was to be 6 Quarters long instead of 4... we would've continued to look as inept on offense as we had? Do you also think we would've let Byron Leftwich continue to be successful?

Not to make any excuses, but after answering that honestly... do you believe that if we ran into the Steelers at any other time (like say, after this bye week or before it while we still had our legs under us), we would've played the same game we did?

If you answer these questions honestly... than that's how you really feel about where this team is.

Me?

I gotta say absolutely not. We would've moved the ball against their D. Our offense started to get into a rhythm early in the 4th Quarter, not to mention we had outgained them prior to all those sacks. Our Defense would've adjusted to Byron... although they should have much quicker than they did, I have no doubt we would've confused him a lot more with our blitzes instead of blitzing all the time. We just ran out of time... which is the way the game goes.

That being said, we can't keep looking at that score or being emotional about how we felt watching the game and just assume based on our frustration we got dominated or exposed. We didn't. That's not the reality. Yes, we got outplayed... but there were plenty of reasons why and they aren't indicative of what our team can do as a whole. To think like that would be narrow-minded.

Jason had his first bad game in a long time. He missed some throws that would've got us first downs, and that was a major difference. Carlos missing that INT, along with that blocked punt that should never happen did us in. Factor in our lack of preparation on defense when Byron came in, and you get what you got. Look at all those things, and tell me they aren't fixable. They are. The Oline didn't play horribly... the Steelers D will make any Oline look like that. It's what they do. We had opportunities to hurt them deep and we didn't. Plain and simple.

We can execute, and if you don't think so... you haven't watched this team too closely up to now.

Nothing got exposed. Steelers run a 3-4 defense with a lot of zone blitzing. Because of that there were mismatches and misdirections on the o-line all night - blockers not being sure which man they're taking, correctly picking up the blitz but not identifying the right blitzer, etc.

The Steelers d-line is also the fastest we've faced thus far, behind tennessee they're probably the fastest d-line in the league. They beat us with defensive speed pure and simple. Nothing got exposed...it's just hard to combat that D.

yeah, i was shocked to see those numbers...i believe it was something like this:

0-10 yards---76%

11-20 yards---23%

21+yards---8%

that's not good at all...he doesn't make too many throws down field and everything is just underneath, and i'd really like him to make the defense defend those long balls

I was shocked as well...I'm not a campbell supporter, but I thought he was better than that.

I gotta question here for anyone willing to answer honestly...

Do you honestly believe that were we to play the Steelers again right now, or that somehow when we played them Monday Night it was a game that was to be 6 Quarters long instead of 4... we would've continued to look as inept on offense as we had? Do you also think we would've let Byron Leftwich continue to be successful?

Not to make any excuses, but after answering that honestly... do you believe that if we ran into the Steelers at any other time (like say, after this bye week or before it while we still had our legs under us), we would've played the same game we did?

If you answer these questions honestly... than that's how you really feel about where this team is.

Me?

I gotta say absolutely not. We would've moved the ball against their D. Our offense started to get into a rhythm early in the 4th Quarter, not to mention we had outgained them prior to all those sacks. Our Defense would've adjusted to Byron... although they should have much quicker than they did, I have no doubt we would've confused him a lot more with our blitzes instead of blitzing all the time. We just ran out of time... which is the way the game goes.

That being said, we can't keep looking at that score or being emotional about how we felt watching the game and just assume based on our frustration we got dominated or exposed. We didn't. That's not the reality. Yes, we got outplayed... but there were plenty of reasons why and they aren't indicative of what our team can do as a whole. To think like that would be narrow-minded.

Jason had his first bad game in a long time. He missed some throws that would've got us first downs, and that was a major difference. Carlos missing that INT, along with that blocked punt that should never happen did us in. Factor in our lack of preparation on defense when Byron came in, and you get what you got. Look at all those things, and tell me they aren't fixable. They are. The Oline didn't play horribly... the Steelers D will make any Oline look like that. It's what they do. We had opportunities to hurt them deep and we didn't. Plain and simple.

We can execute, and if you don't think so... you haven't watched this team too closely up to now.

you're kidding me right? The only reason the offense started to pick up is because they went into a prevent defense......they knew they had the game won.

The steelers would whoop our asses again if we were to have a rematch...

This IS NOT the first time our offense has struggled this season. We've struggled to put up points against teams that a good offense would crush(rams, browns, lions). We just happened to actually go up against a good team, which we haven't in a while, and got our asses kicked.

No they didn't..They barely blitzed at all. The only pressure they got was from rushing 4 DL....They sat back, and let the skins work the short middle field to kill the clock.
They did blitz, and prevent usually has just 3 Dlinemen. Their defensive playcalling didn't really change. The yards we gained down the stretch were the same ways we gained yards throughout the game. They sat back the whole game.

No they didn't..They barely blitzed at all. The only pressure they got was from rushing 4 DL....They sat back, and let the skins work the short middle field to kill the clock.

Correction - they rushed 4, but not 4 lineman. Most of the 4th quarter they had only 1 or 2 lineman. Then they would rush some of the massed LBs and DBs - all these plays are technically blitzes. At the very end they started hitting Jason with delayed DB blitzes... basically our o-line got the kitchen sink thrown at them by masters of this gameplan.

Speaking in general terms, here are some things I think ...

Santana

- take him out and you have shut down the passing game. shut down the passing game and the skins are in an arse kicking contest with one leg.

JC

- while I LOVE THE KID TO DEATH, he can get rattled. By all accounts his high throws and inaccuracy was due in part to pressure. yeah, yeah, pressure will do that to anybody, but some QB's don't get as flustered, JC so far is not one them. He'll get better.

Jansen

- I hate to say it - with regards to passing he is the weak link

JZ

- I think JZ lets the opposing Def dictate a lot, especially with the passing game. I also think he is a rookie head coach and play caller, and on game day it shows. what was up with that play action on 4 and 1? He'll get better.

WR's two through five

- say what you will, these guys don't make plays. that goes for Malcolm, Thrash, El, and Devin. They are very weak right now.

Pass Pro/holding on to the ball/WR's getting open

- the skins offense can be stifled with pressure and i'm not sure which of the above is the problem. even before the Steelers massacre they were giving up way too many sacks. why? not sure, but the problem is there.

0-10 yards---76%

11-20 yards---23%

21+yards---8%

I think you have mis-interpreted those #s. If you got those #s from the MNF game (and I'm pretty sure you did), those weren't completion percentage figures. That was a breakdown of the distance of Campbell's attempts this season.

I think you have mis-interpreted those #s. If you got those #s from the MNF game (and I'm pretty sure you did), those weren't completion percentage figures. That was a breakdown of the distance of Campbell's attempts this season.

I think they are completion percentages...because if you add them up, it totals more than 100%. If it were just a breakdown of campbell's attempts and what percentage of them were more than 21 yards, it wouldn't equal more than 100.

Our offensive line SUCKS and needs to be dealt with ASAP if not in this years draft!!!

Sucks? How does Portis lead the league in rushing? The OL had a bad night, period. A heavy pressure defense can do that. Give Dick Lebeau credit. Stop the whining because weren't saying any of this before the Steelers game.

Archived