Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

So What About The Skins' Offense Has Been "Exposed" In Your Eyes?...

I've been seeing that said on a lot of threads lately..."The Steelers exposed our offense"..."The Skins' offense has been exposed over the last 4 weeks"..."Teams will do what the Giants and Steelers did to stop the Skins' offense" (as if playing as well as the Steelers and Giants' defenses is a piece of cake lol)...

So I want to ask: what specifically about the Skins' defense has been "exposed" that was unknown earlier in the season?

What things did the Rams expose?

What things did the Browns expose?

What things did the Lions expose?

What things did the Steelers expose?

I'm actually just hoping to get people to be more specific, because throwing around a phrase like "the offense was exposed" is so generic that it can sometimes hold no meaning whatsoever. Give the phrase some meaning on this thread.

Thank yew....:logo:

we havent exposed ourself i would just say our offence was not a matchup to the steelers and we played like crap in the other losses so we are not an exposed team such as the cowboys i feel verry good coming out of the buy week going down the home streach i see us droping only 1 or two of those games and lets just hope that it dosnt come against one of our nfc east opponets. but i see no exposure case no other team can bring what the steelers brought against us.

IMO the Steelers defense exposed the weakness in our offensive line. They showed that stuffing the box against our weak O-line would put major pressure on JC and result in sacks and pressured throws that were more likely to be intercepted. I think that has been shown somewhat in the past several weeks, but not to this extent. It took a good defense like the Steelers to clearly show how weak we are in that area of offense.

That is at least what I meant when I talk about being "exposed"...

IMO the Steelers defense exposed the weakness in our offensive line. They showed that stuffing the box against our weak O-line would put major pressure on JC and result in sacks and pressured throws that were more likely to be intercepted. I think that has been shown somewhat in the past several weeks, but not to this extent. It took a good defense like the Steelers to clearly show how weak we are in that area of offense.

That is at least what I meant when I talk about being "exposed"...

The only thing is, over the past several weeks Portis has been lights-out against teams "stuffing the box" (if that's what they've been doing)...so while you're right, a great defense like the Steelers can do this and stop both Portis and pressure Campbell into hurried throws, will other teams be able to duplicate their efforts and have the same success?

The Skins still seemed to be able to move the ball at will against the Rams (389 yds), Browns (357 yds) and the Lions (463 yds)...and Jason Campbell threw for 700 yards in those three games and complete 71.4% of his passes...so it would appear that he was still able to perform pretty well even with teams doing what you said.

So is it that other teams have found a way of keeping the Skins from scoring, but not from moving the ball?

The only thing is, over the past several weeks Portis has been lights-out against teams "stuffing the box" (if that's what they've been doing)...so while you're right, a great defense like the Steelers can do this and stop both Portis and pressure Campbell into hurried throws, will other teams be able to duplicate their efforts and have the same success?

The Skins still seemed to be able to move the ball at will against the Rams (389 yds), Browns (357 yds) and the Lions (463 yds)...and Jason Campbell threw for 700 yards in those three games and complete 71.4% of his passes...so it would appear that he was still able to perform pretty well even with teams doing what you said.

So is it that other teams have found a way of keeping the Skins from scoring, but not from moving the ball?

I dont think so. I think it comes down to the O not knowing/having a full playbook in the redzone.

It's not like Campbell can't score down there, look at the Dallas game, etc.

I think redzone scoring will come in time, but hopefully sooner rather than later.

Our line can't handle pressure.

Our line can't handle pressure, or our line can't handle Steelers-type pressure? lol...If it's the latter I'm not sure too many teams can. And if that's the case, were the Skins exposed, or was the Steelers' defense just validated?

What we haven't seen at all is a team shut down CP, but not be able to pressure the QB. I think the results will definately be different if JC has time back there.

Do you think the Steelers were able to do both because they figured out something in the Skins' offense, or is it that they're just that good? Or both?

Our line can't handle pressure, or our line can't handle Steelers-type pressure? lol...If it's the latter I'm not sure too many teams can. And if that's the case, were the Skins exposed, or was the Steelers' defense just validated?

Our line can't handle Steelers and Giants-type pressure.

Do you think the Steelers were able to do both because they figured out something in the Skins' offense, or is it that they're just that good? Or both?

Both, very effectively at that too.

I dont think so. I think it comes down to the O not knowing/having a full playbook in the redzone.

It's not like Campbell can't score down there, look at the Dallas game, etc.

I think redzone scoring will come in time, but hopefully sooner rather than later.

Yeah, I've read where the Skins were something like 4 TDs out of 12 trips in the red zone over the last four weeks or something like that...You don't think opposing defenses have "figured out" something about the Skins' red zone offense and have begun stopping it?

Yeah, I've read where the Skins were something like 4 TDs out of 12 trips in the red zone over the last four weeks or something like that...You don't think opposing defenses have "figured out" something about the Skins' red zone offense and have begun stopping it?

I wanna say no, and if they have, I'm sure Zorn'll figure it out.

I wouldn't say we were exposed as much as we just played poorly. We played 9 straight games with a lot of injuries to key players and we were expected to win the Steelers game. I was one of the believers that we could win that game but it wasn't a season ender. We lost to two teams that have great defenses but we had our chances to win both of those games. What we can come away with is that Carlos Rogers can cover well but can't catch the ball for an interception. If he catches that interception and returns it for a score like he should have then we would have won that game. Because at that point it was 6-3 and with a INT for a score would have made it 13-3 Redskins. We also played on a long field where the Steelers played on a short field all night long. This was the one bad performance that Campbell was bound to have. The first INT was a high throw that Portis hits in the air otherwise no INT. If your Defense is on the field most of the game then you will lose the game. That is what happened and with the bye here they can rest up for a stretch run against the division foes and the rest of the schedule healthy plus all of the NFC East teams are at Fed-EX Field. Nothing was exposed except good defense can stop any good offense.

The Steelers exposed our weekness against very good defenses. If you have a very good defense, you might make our offense ineffective.

I really hope other coaches don't catch on to this and decide to bring very good defenses against us.

Our passing game is really a short/mid-range style offense and when it works and you have Portis running well it is very effective. However, with being short to mid-range you can move up and down the field putting 40/50+ yard drives together over and over without ever hitting the end zone! The Rams, Browns and Lions should all have been blown away but instead, late in the game we could have lost as much as win and of course did lose to the Rams.

The Steelers shut down the run game and were very agressive on our mid-range passing game - the last two minutes of the game with nothing to lose we still threw 5 to 8 yard passes. Basically, they brought a plan that shut us down. There is no need to hit the panic button as we can see how effective it can be but the team has missed that factor 'X' the last few weeks in terms of marching up and down the field instead of putting points on the board and it all came home on Monday night.

I don't so much think that anything specifically was exposed because the offense hasn't been impressive to begin with. The Redskins don't get TD's in the redzone and can't sustain drives against most teams. The defense has kept every game winnable and the fact that the offense wasn't turning the ball over in most games was enough to win with 1-2TD's and 2-3 field goals.

The offense hasn't been that great all year other than Portis and the OL against weaker defenses and Campbell taking care of the ball. The OL looked as bad as it did in the Giants game on MNF so I guess they just aren't that good. Everytime we face tough defenses like Pitt or NY we will be incapable of doing anything on offense because Portis opens up the rest of the offense apparently.

So I predict no offense losses against NY in a few weeks and then Baltimore but we should get wins against Sea, Cincy, and SF. So we should have at least 9 wins and maybe a split with Dallas and Philly then one and done in the playoffs if we play a good defense like the Bears, Bucs, or Giants, maybe even Atlanta has a decent enough defense.

I think thats why it keeps coming back to the OL and DL. For weeks the team will look good and everybody will claim that we don't need better OL and DL but then when we face the good tough teams, not Dallas they just have "talent", we see our OL get ate up and our DL fail to get pressure. Well our DL didn't look that bad but the OL was garbage all game and I don't see us beating teams like NY or Chicago unless they just turn the ball over all game and we don't.

Carlos Rogers has not improved as much as I'd hoped.

Jason Campbell did not react to pressure as well as I'd hoped. Even when he had time to throw, he was throwing wild high. I'm guessing that this was the result of rushing his delivery a bit.

The Redskins don't get TD's in the redzone and can't sustain drives against most teams.

I don't agree with this part...I think the Skins can indeed sustain drives against most teams...we were winning the time of possession battle by a HUGE margin precisely because we could sustain drives against most teams. We averaged over 400 yards per game against the Rams, Browns and Lions. It's finishing off those sustained drives that's a problem.

Carlos Rogers has not improved as much as I'd hoped.

Jason Campbell did not react to pressure as well as I'd hoped. Even when he had time to throw, he was throwing wild high. I'm guessing that this was the result of rushing his delivery a bit.

Campbell definitely needs to find a way to effectively counter that type of pressure if he's going to elevate his game to "elite" status..he didn't handle it well at all Monday night.

Archived