Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Committing somebody against their will.

stoney26

Dont mean to take away from the excitment of such a historical night but I need some information and Im sure somebody on here has it.

Does anybody know anything about committing a drug addict against their will?? Someone in my immediate family is a drug addict. Not positive but Im pretty sure its coke. Ive tried to sit her down talk to her about it but its impossible. You cant reason with her and there is no way you can have a constructive conversation with her. I really dont want to get into anymore specific details but if anybody knows anything about committing someone against their will please give me some advice. Thanks.

so far as i know you have to prove that they are a danger to others and or themselves.

i wish i could help more..... sorry

Yeah, this is basically the the criterion. In PA, it's called a "302" (involuntary commitment) and can be done through the police department. Otherwise, if they are not a harm to themselves or anyone else, the patient can commit him/herself through a "201."

I'm not sure how it works where you are, Stoney, but I would call an operator (through dialing "0," not "911"), and ask the process. I think that should clear things up.

Yeah, this is basically the the criterion. In PA, it's called a "302" (involuntary commitment) and can be done through the police department. Otherwise, if they are not a harm to themselves or anyone else, the patient can commit him/herself through a "201."

I'm not sure how it works where you are, Stoney, but I would call an operator (through dialing "0," not "911"), and ask the process. I think that should clear things up.

Thanks. Id like to know what determines a harm to themselves or anyone else. She just got into a car accident tonight and the hospital said she would be dead if she didn't have her seatbelt on. It was a single car accident and she is ok thank god but her license is suspended and she flipped the car. I consider that a harm to herself and the public.

SHF, sorry to here that about your best friend. It could be herion. I have no clue. Thanks for the link.

Thanks. Id like to know what determines a harm to themselves or anyone else. She just got into a car accident tonight and the hospital said she would be dead if she didn't have her seatbelt on. It was a single car accident and she is ok thank god but her license is suspended and she flipped the car. I consider that a harm to herself and the public.

SHF, sorry to here that about your best friend. It could be herion. I have no clue. Thanks for the link.

If she was under the influence, then you would be within your rights to commit her against her will. I would definitely suggest calling the operator (or even 911), and telling them what you want to do.

Just know that if you do this, you will be required to show up in mental health court. Be prepared for that. It's nothing like what you see on TV, but you do need to make sure what you're saying is 100% correct.

Sorry about your family member. Here is a link that you may find useful. It seems to provide a good overview of the involuntary commitment procedures in Virginia. It is a 1995 Legislative Review but I doubt much has changed regarding the process since then.

Here is another link that details the commitment process written by a Virginia lawyer. Provides solid advice.

Good luck to you.

I don't think there is anything you can do to force her into rehab. You can't have someone committed on a 5150 hold unless a professional assesses them and decides that they have a mental disorder that makes them a danger to themselves or others. At least that's how it is out here in California.

The only other thing you can do is get law enforcement involved.

As far as I know, unless she's a minor and unless she is caught breaking a law, you can't do anything.

Anything regarding committing her anyway.

What you can do is be there for her. Don't abandon her. Eventually she will reach HER bottom and then and only then will she get the help she needs. You can't make anyone get help. They have to help themselves.

To make sure that that help works though she needs as much family and as much love to be around her as possible.

Continue to talk to her, continue to let her know you care. You're doing more then you can imagine.

(And ftr, I've battled, and continue to battle, drug addiction in my life. It's hard, it's rough, but there is hope. There is always hope.)

In Florida we have something called the Baker act for this situation. Maybe you have something similar. Sadly I know two families that have had to use it. Both families (who do not know each other) have sons who have severe drug, alcohol, and mental health issues. Very difficult for everyone involved. I know how bad things must be for you even to consider such a thing. Good luck.

http://www.clerk.co.okeechobee.fl.us/Baker_act.htm

Is she still under medical treatment? AFAIK, a lot of states have a procedure whereby a Doctor can certify that it's medically necessary for a patient to be treated to save the patient's life.

At the very least, if you can get the Doctor to say that in his opinion, commitment is medically necessary, I bet that won't hurt your case.

Archived