Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

There you have it... Obama wins.

Springfield

You mean like when the Redskins lose 4 years ago to the Packers the Sunday before the election 28-14?

So thus, Obama will be able to take over the White House from President Kerry right?

:secret: It's been right for the past 17 elections.

This is the rule:

The Redskins, in fact, are an accurate barometer for presidential elections. According to Steve Hirdt of the Elias Sports Bureau, who coined the term "Redskins Rule" in 2000, the following bromide has held true for the past 17 presidential elections: If the Redskins win their last home game prior to Election Day, the party that won the popular vote in the previous election wins the White House; if the Redskins lose, the party that lost the popular vote in the previous election wins.

As TC4 correctly points out, the "rule" *failed* last election. It's not the past 17. It's 17 in a row, with a fail last chance - or 17-of-18. High accuracy, but not flawless. :)

if you would have read the rule that was stated in the rest of the post you quoted, you would have picked up on the part about popular vote. Bush lost the popular vote in 2000, therefore, when the redskins lost, the Republican Party won the election as they lost the popular vote the election before.

As TC4 correctly points out, the "rule" *failed* last election. It's not the past 17. It's 17 in a row, with a fail last chance - or 17-of-18. High accuracy, but not flawless. :)

Bush lost the popular vote in 2000, so the loss to the Packers in '04 kept this rule going. It's never been wrong.

The better argument would be that we really won that stupid Packers game, so the rule still works. Who did they call a flag on? Watch closely. Then, watch the ref look confused, pulling out the flag after the play was over.

Agreed, I happened to be at that game and that was a BS call if I ever saw it. I'm retroactively declaring the 'Skins winners in that game.

Agreed, I happened to be at that game and that was a BS call if I ever saw it. I'm retroactively declaring the 'Skins winners in that game.

Oh pls don't bring that one up. I'm still salty about that game.

But the first time I heard about that superstition, it was in 2004, so I guess that's two (because there was supposed to be another one also) that broke that rule. Now, who knows?

if you would have read the rule that was stated in the rest of the post you quoted, you would have picked up on the part about popular vote. Bush lost the popular vote in 2000, therefore, when the redskins lost, the Republican Party won the election as they lost the popular vote the election before.

The unfortunate fact for John Kerry and Al Gore was that the popular vote is meaningless.

Archived