Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bible Studying?

DaRock

Remember, the scripture was never intended to be read solo, it was always read in community, with other people to help us understand more clearly when we have questions and are confused. Study guides are good but if the guide comes from a tradition that is different than your own you probably won't find it as helpful as one that more closely matches your tradition.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Heed these words. Very wise post.

Wow, even an old time western era fan, I love it, me too.

Yeh ZGuy, I read that comment from Asbury the first time it was posted and TOTALLY agreed, I think I even nodded my head. But the tradition part is new, that is one of my main concerns.

Good comments on the NIV? I really can't wait to see what version I ahve at home.

Wow, even an old time western era fan, I love it, me too.

Yeh ZGuy, I read that comment from Asbury the first time it was posted and TOTALLY agreed, I think I even nodded my head. But the tradition part is new, that is one of my main concerns.

By tradition I mean your church background and basic beliefs. I could offer you a study guide that was written by someone with a heavy background in the theology of John Wesley (typically geared toward Methodists, Free Methodists, and Wesleyans) however if you're background is say more Calvinistic, or Lutheran then the guide would not be much help to you. Unless you are wanting to cross examine the various traditions in the Protestant movement. Also if someone offered you a guide written by say a Southern Baptist and you're background and basic belief structure is Pentecostal or Apostolic then you're probably not going to use the guide much.

Good comments on the NIV? I really can't wait to see what version I ahve at home.

The NIV is a standard modern translation used by a great deal of Protestants here in the US, it IMO is a good translation that you can't go wrong with, I could nit-pick at various idiosyncrasies that is has but at that point we're really only debating the "clarity of the diamond" rather than the type of gem.

What about the Contemporary English Version? I have one one these and it is also a study guide, has commentary, and historical information. It is huge, but very easy to read and has a lot of great historical information about the lives of people that lived in biblical times.

Any thoughts on this particular version?

What about the Contemporary English Version? I have one one these and it is also a study guide, has commentary, and historical information. It is huge, but very easy to read and has a lot of great historical information about the lives of people that lived in biblical times.

Any thoughts on this particular version?

I have no issues with the CEV, it is a lot like the NIV in that it was translated to be understood by just about everyone, it like the NIV takes some liberties in places but none that cause the Gospel to implode. ;) If you've got a CEV with study guide and commentary, by all means use it.

I have no issues with the CEV, it is a lot like the NIV in that it was translated to be understood by just about everyone, it like the NIV takes some liberties in places but none that cause the Gospel to implode. ;) If you've got a CEV with study guide and commentary, by all means use it.

GREAT! I bought it not too long ago and paid almost $50 for it.

Hey, what about all that stuff that the Jehovahs Witnesses drop off? For some reason, they've been in my neighborhood a lot lately and are constantly dropping of reading material. I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that I told them I was agnostic?

GREAT! I bought it not too long ago and paid almost $50 for it.

Yeah, a good study Bible will typically run you that much, and I've never been happy about that, but books are rarely cheap anymore.

Hey, what about all that stuff that the Jehovahs Witnesses drop off? For some reason, they've been in my neighborhood a lot lately and are constantly dropping of reading material. I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that I told them I was agnostic?

I doubt they come to your house because you told them you were agnostic, heck they still come to my house and I can't recall how many times I've told them that I was a Christian pastor who whole heartedly believes in the doctrine of the Trinity. I don't want to start a "bash the JW's" thread, but that one belief is what separates 99% of Protestants and Catholics from the JWs, the belief in the Trinity that has been affirmed since the Nicene Creed was formulated in response to the Arian heresy in 325 AD.

If you have a long commute, you may want to get it on mp3 or CD or whatever. I know that James Earl Jones does a reading of it, and I assume it would be pretty nice to hear Darth Vader read the scriptures.

You can also download the King James Version from lds.org in mp3 format:

Old Testament: http://broadcast.lds.org/scriptures/OldTestament/00_Old_Testamant_Complete_eng.zip

New Testament: http://broadcast.lds.org/scriptures/NewTestament/00_New_Testament_Complete_eng.zip

Yeah, a good study Bible will typically run you that much, and I've never been happy about that, but books are rarely cheap anymore.

I doubt they come to your house because you told them you were agnostic, heck they still come to my house and I can't recall how many times I've told them that I was a Christian who whole heartedly believes in the doctrine of the Trinity. I don't want to start a "bash the JW's" thread, but that one belief is what separates 99% of Protestants and Catholics from the JWs, the belief in the Trinity that has been affirmed since the Nicene Creed was formulated in response to the Arian heresy in 325 AD.

Ah. So it's not just me. Good! (sorry, but now I don't feel so alone-lol) I mean, I don't have anything against any religion/denomination, but with me trying to find my own way right now, spiritually speaking, I don't want to feel pressured or overwhelmed into something I'm not that familiar with ( I know nothing about Jehovahs Witnesses). I want to start the way I have been doing things, which is going to a non denominational church and reading the Bible and then asking people at church questions. Once I figure out what's best for me, I might start to consider which denomination is best for me. Right now, that's just too much.

I really like the Holman Christian Standard Bible. It's easy to read, and it's supposed to be pretty literal compared to a lot of new translations. In my opinion, the Thompson Chain Reference bible is the best study bible because it doesn't really give anyone's thought or opinion on it, it just ties topics together and makes things easy to find. I wish I could get a HCSB in a Thompson Chain Reference.

don't start with John, whatever you do. Matthew and Mark are $$$$. John is absolutely terrible. If you start there you'll quit after 30 minutes.

I would just start with the NT in the order it is. Or you could start with MArk, the oldest. But Matthew is the best, imo.

I bought a Catholic study bible and I've really enjoyed it. The notes in it are incredible- but they don't necessarily steer you in any way, they simply provide fact and context.

The OT is tedious. No getting around it. The first 200 pages are awesome, then it's a snoozefest. The NT is actually quite great, especially the gospels. jmo

I agree with Asbury about the NIT - you really can't go wrong. I have several Bibles (many different versions), but that is by far my favorite. It is a study Bible, as well.

I also agree with those who have told you to start with the New Testament. Also, it does help to study with others. So you may want to try to find a Bible study near you.

And Zoony, I'm with you - Matthew is my favorite, as well.

http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/

Indispensable resource

Wow, nothing like a study bible written by the wikipedia crowd! :lol:

(1:1-17) "The generation of Jesus Christ

The gospel of Matthew begins with a boring genealogy like that we are told to avoid in 1 Tim.1:4 ("Neither give heed to fables and endless genealogies") and Tit.3:9 ("Avoid foolish questions and genealogies").

What's hillarious about this study note is that the theological depth that is embeded within this "boring" geneology is apparently completely and utterly missed by the author. Furthermore they also are universalizing Paul's teachings in that they want the contextualized problems that are discussed in 1 Tim and Titus to be applicable to all places in all times without realizing that the problem that Paul is addressing is the fact that people were trying to say they were better than other christians because of their affiliation with certain apostles, this has nothing to do with the geneology that is illustrated in Matthew which is instead a royal geneology what would have been kept for any king, what's more is that this geneology includes 1 MAJOR point of interest in that it includes 2 women 1 of whom was not an Israelite Rahab, the other was Jesus' mother Mary, this is wholly extraordinary that women would be included and what's more that a non-Israelite woman would be included would have been nearly scandalous. But, you know, its just a boring bunch of names that doesn't really mean anything, feel free to skip this part. :doh:

I just basically want to read the Bible and understand what I am reading.

All the small group leaders at my church read this book and they love it. Its the rare book book that provides scholarly content and still maintains easy readability.

http://www.amazon.com/How-Read-Bible-Book-Guided/dp/0310211182/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1224940298&sr=1-2

"The primary task of Bible study is to determine what the Scriptures meant at the time they were written and how that meaning applies to us today. This vital guide focuses on the historical contexts of the Bible and explains differences between the Old Testament narratives, the Epistles, Gospels, Parables, Psalms and more. It's a practical approach to Bible study -- one that makes good sense and is easy to understand. This new edition includes, among other changes, a new section on the Song of Songs and an updated list of recommended commentaries and resources."

Wow, nothing like a study bible written by the wikipedia crowd! :lol:

What's hillarious about this study note is that the theological depth that is embeded within this "boring" geneology is apparently completely and utterly missed by the author. Furthermore they also are universalizing Paul's teachings in that they want the contextualized problems that are discussed in 1 Tim and Titus to be applicable to all places in all times without realizing that the problem that Paul is addressing is the fact that people were trying to say they were better than other christians because of their affiliation with certain apostles, this has nothing to do with the geneology that is illustrated in Matthew which is instead a royal geneology what would have been kept for any king, what's more is that this geneology includes 1 MAJOR point of interest in that it includes 2 women 1 of whom was not an Israelite Rahab, the other was Jesus' mother Mary, this is wholly extraordinary that women would be included and what's more that a non-Israelite woman would be included would have been nearly scandalous. But, you know, its just a boring bunch of names that doesn't really mean anything, feel free to skip this part. :doh:

:owned: Nice post Ash!

don't start with John, whatever you do. Matthew and Mark are $$$$. John is absolutely terrible. If you start there you'll quit after 30 minutes.

Well, I won't say that John is terrible, but John is probably not the best place to start. Keep in mind that John was the latest written Gospel and it didn't share the same sources as the synopitcs (Matthew, Mark, Luke) John is also much more of a treatise or sermon for Jesus, don't get me wrong the synoptics are as well, but not nearly to the degree of John. However, John gives us some total gems within his gospel; the first chapter alone is worth the price of admission; not to mention the third chapter which has a really good part about the 16th verse and following. ;)

I would just start with the NT in the order it is. Or you could start with MArk, the oldest. But Matthew is the best, imo.

Matthew is a fantastic place to start, it is smoothly written (as opposed to Mark which is very choppy and fast) it also has a lot of theological depth that makes it a treasure; the sermon on the mount, the parables and the question of the greatest commandment are some of the real treasures here.

I bought a Catholic study bible and I've really enjoyed it. The notes in it are incredible- but they don't necessarily steer you in any way, they simply provide fact and context.

Not, to disagree, but they all steer. ;) My guess is that the study note on Matthew 6:18 in your study bible will differ than the study note in mine.

The OT is tedious. No getting around it. The first 200 pages are awesome, then it's a snoozefest. The NT is actually quite great, especially the gospels. jmo

Genesis, Exodus are the classic Abraham through Moses accounts, after that there is a LOT of Mosaic Law in Deuteronomy and Leviticus. Yes, you have to have commitment of a marathon runner to get through these, but after that it frees up into into the history of the Israelites; lots of battles, politics, infighting, betrayal, and adultery, in other words everything needed for a box office hit. Then you get the psalms and proverbs, I suggest a couple of each per day mixed with other readings to get through these, after that the prophets, good stuff, should not be over looked...and no they aren't prediciting the future they are speaking "prophetically" about the issues of their day, and surprise they look a lot like the issues of our day.

All the small group leaders at my church read this book and they love it. Its the rare book book that provides scholarly content and still maintains easy readability.

Gordon Fee is fantastic, and any book that does the following gets a big thumbs up from me.

"Product Description

Helps people read the Bible as a whole; and even when the whole is narrowed to whole books, helps readers to see how each book fits into the grand Story of the Bible."

This IMO is one of the biggest problems we face today in regards to scripture reading in that it is seen as 66 parts rather than 1 whole story of the redeptive story of humanity by God.

This is what my current Pastor said, "The best study bible is the NRSV Oxford Annotated / the best bible to simply read as a devotional but not for study is Eugene Peterson’s translation called The Message."

I would agree with the NRSV (I personally use the Harper Collins Study Bible) but the Oxford is top notch too, very much meat and potatoes in there so be ready for a full meal and do not expect a hot fudge sundae. I'm not a big fan of The Message just because I'm not a fan of paraphrases, but Peterson does a good job in that it sounds like someone telling you the story conversationally, so I understand why it appeals to so many, its just not my personal choice and I wouldn't condemn any who read it devotionally, just don't bring it to an in depth Bible study;). My personal devotion Bible is the New Living Translation (and that was before I met Dr. Lawson Stone).

I laughed! I cried! It was better than Cats!!!

I guess the question is, What are you reading for?

For faith reasons?

Literary reasons?

Historical reasons?

To put current events in context?

I would start with Proverbs personally. Even if you are skeptical Proverbs is just a great book for rules to live your life by. It is how to be good to each other and how to give in order to receive. that is my refreshing book that I read whenever I need to feel something...

Archived