Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bible Studying?

DaRock

All the small group leaders at my church read this book and they love it. Its the rare book book that provides scholarly content and still maintains easy readability.

http://www.amazon.com/How-Read-Bible-Book-Guided/dp/0310211182/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1224940298&sr=1-2

"The primary task of Bible study is to determine what the Scriptures meant at the time they were written and how that meaning applies to us today. This vital guide focuses on the historical contexts of the Bible and explains differences between the Old Testament narratives, the Epistles, Gospels, Parables, Psalms and more. It's a practical approach to Bible study -- one that makes good sense and is easy to understand. This new edition includes, among other changes, a new section on the Song of Songs and an updated list of recommended commentaries and resources."

Great reference MGS!

Have you ever read Understanding the Bible by John Stott?

Gordon Fee is fantastic, and any book that does the following gets a big thumbs up from me.

"Product Description

Helps people read the Bible as a whole; and even when the whole is narrowed to whole books, helps readers to see how each book fits into the grand Story of the Bible."

This IMO is one of the biggest problems we face today in regards to scripture reading in that it is seen as 66 parts rather than 1 whole story of the redeptive story of humanity by God.

I like Gordon Fee as well. I have a set of commentaries which he edited.

Good stuff, especially Matthew which was written by R.T. France.

www.ebible.com has the ability to look up verses and has a "study help" that you can view in its study mode. As for versions, I prefer the NKJV (New King James Version) it is much better and more up to date in its language, and I use a Macarthur Study bible to go with it.

If your looking for something to help along with it there are lots of Commentaries, and it depends on what kind of help you are looking for.

I have a New Living Translation that has daily devotion. I like it better than just starting at Genesis and reading to Revelation.

Two years ago, at my last church we went through the "Bible in 90 Days" study, it was fantastic, the people got the panoramic view of the Bible much like looking at an assembled puzzle as opposed to looking at each piece individually.

Two years ago, at my last church we went through the "Bible in 90 Days" study, it was fantastic, the people got the panoramic view of the Bible much like looking at an assembled puzzle as opposed to looking at each piece individually.

You know, something like this might not be a bad idea for a thread topic. I mean, for people like me who have just recently started going to church, but don't really go to Sunday school, this could be a good idea. I read the Bible on occasion, but I feel like I would read it more often if I had other people to help interpret some of it.

I would love to have been able to take part in that! Oh, and Brandy, I love your idea! Sign me up!

:notworthy

I would love to have been able to take part in that! Oh, and Brandy, I love your idea! Sign me up!

:notworthy

Well, I could start the thread, but I was hoping somebody with more knowledge than myself would volunteer to be the "teacher" (Asbury- maybe?). Any volunteers to help out with this?

Well, I could start the thread, but I was hoping somebody with more knowledge than myself would volunteer to be the "teacher" (Asbury- maybe?). Any volunteers to help out with this?

I'd be willing to help, but as far as "teacher" I'd prefer a community study and group input as we have many various traditions representative here and I wouldn't want to exclude any voices. We'd also have to be respective of varying interpretations of the text (within reason of course) especially in those places where our traditions find opposition. We'd also need to operate ourselves respectfully....*gulp*.... We'd have to decide how we are going to schedule the study, that way we aren't going too slow or too fast, thus leaving time for all who wish to participate. And we'd have to simply ignore the trolls.;)

The big question would be...where do we start? It was mentioned earlier in this thread Matthew, and I'd be happy to start there.

I'd be willing to help, but as far as "teacher" I'd prefer a community study and group input as we have many various traditions representative here and I wouldn't want to exclude any voices. We'd also have to be respective of varying interpretations of the text (within reason of course) especially in those places where our traditions find opposition. We'd also need to operate ourselves respectfully....*gulp*.... We'd have to decide how we are going to schedule the study, that way we aren't going too slow or too fast, thus leaving time for all who wish to participate. And we'd have to simply ignore the trolls.;)

The big question would be...where do we start? It was mentioned earlier in this thread Matthew, and I'd be happy to start there.

Great! I would be happy to start ANYWHERE! Matthew is fine with me. As far as organizing and scheduling, maybe we could do like a chapter a day and then discuss it? I've never done anything like this, so I figured those that have been a part of something like this in the past might be able to gauge how much time it takes to cover each chapter or book etc. It doesn't necessarily have to be done in 90 days. I mean, we could do something like "Study the Bible in 6 months, or a year" (as an example). The great thing about this, is this is the internet so we can take as long as we want.

Personally, I think we could start with Matthew, and study, say, a chapter a day? Is this enough time? We might need 2 days for each chapter considering this is a message board and we could have a lot of people providing input, etc.

Either way, I think the New Testament would be great to start off with. Maybe take it a chapter per day or two, and then move on to the next chapter after we're finished discussing.

If you think a chapter a day would work, I could set up an outline that we could put in the OP to let people know what chapters in Matthew will discussed each day.

Let me know what you think.

I dont know how deep you want to get into this, but this is a phenominal book to check out at a library (or even buy) to help you determine what translation you want to read.

http://www.amazon.com/Truth-Translation-Accuracy-Translations-Testament/dp/0761825568/ref=tag_tdp_sv_edpp_i

A friend of mine had this book and i found it fascinating. I couldnt remember his final conclusion, so I checked wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_BeDuhn

He subsequently wrote Truth in Translation: Accuracy and Bias in English Translations of the New Testament (ISBN 0-7618-2556-8), which generated controversy when his analysis led him to conclude that the New Testament translations of the New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures (published by Jehovah's Witnesses) and the New American Bible (published by the American Catholic Church) were the most accurate and least biased.

The translations examined in his book are: The King James Version, New Revised Standard Version, New International Version, New American Bible, New American Standard Bible, Amplified Bible, Living Bible, Today's English Version, and the New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures. He had criticisms for every translation he reviewed, claiming a consistent pattern of anachronistically imposing modern Christian views onto the biblical text.

Hope that helps.

EDIT - I'm pretty sure both translations are available for free online, but i'm too lazy to look for any more links. lol

Great! I would be happy to start ANYWHERE! Matthew is fine with me. As far as organizing and scheduling, maybe we could do like a chapter a day and then discuss it? I've never done anything like this, so I figured those that have been a part of something like this in the past might be able to gauge how much time it takes to cover each chapter or book etc. It doesn't necessarily have to be done in 90 days. I mean, we could do something like "Study the Bible in 6 months, or a year" (as an example). The great thing about this, is this is the internet so we can take as long as we want.

Personally, I think we could start with Matthew, and study, say, a chapter a day? Is this enough time? We might need 2 days for each chapter considering this is a message board and we could have a lot of people providing input, etc.

Either way, I think the New Testament would be great to start off with. Maybe take it a chapter per day or two, and then move on to the next chapter after we're finished discussing.

If you think a chapter a day would work, I could set up an outline that we could put in the OP to let people know what chapters in Matthew will discussed each day.

Let me know what you think.

Could we use the chat room as a possible option? Just thinking that it could allow better free form communication than a thread. Maybe just have a thread stickied that invites participants to join.

Could we use the chat room as a possible option? Just thinking that it could allow better free form communication than a thread. Maybe just have a thread stickied that invites participants to join.

That would be a great idea too. Can we use the chat for non game day things?

Edited: But for the chat room, would we have to have a certain time to log in? I don't know for sure, but I don't think the chat could be opened all day.

I would love to do something like this and have been mulling it around in my head for a while.

I don't know if I could do a chapter a day of Matthew right now though since I am already facilitating a small group study on Hosea, Joel, Amos, & Obadiah.

Again, I want to say that the software E-Sword (its free!) has really been an invaluable tool to my study.

It has commentaries, dictionaries, translations, maps etc. and you can paste verses and commentary passages into the study notes section along with your own notes. And the commentaries (except Scofield) don't get into all that Pop-Christian Rapture stuff. :)

You can lauch a chat room for any thread.

EDIT: I got it open right now. Click launch at the top for this thread.

Ok great! But we would still have to agree on a time so that everyone who wanted to participate would be able to. I guess we could use the thread and chat for those that can't make whatever time we all agree on.

BTW- I know you aren't able to do this as you mentioned in your post, but do you think a chapter a day is too much? What do you recommend?

I have decided that I want to read the Bible, but want to have a bit of explanation for the passages I'm reading. Does anyone know the best way to do this? I can google Bible Study, but am worried that it may be misrepresented, also, choosing the best one. Is there a different version of the Bible that is easier to understand? I'm sure they make Bible study books, I think, that have quizzes, daily tasks, etc. Are they good? I just basically want to read the Bible and understand what I am reading.

Pray to God before reading and ask him to help you understand the verses and it will come

Ok great! But we would still have to agree on a time so that everyone who wanted to participate would be able to. I guess we could use the thread and chat for those that can't make whatever time we all agree on.

BTW- I know you aren't able to do this as you mentioned in your post, but do you think a chapter a day is too much? What do you recommend?

It depends on the level of study. If you are just doing some surface stuff then maybe its okay IMO.

But I also know that Matthew has some long chapters, some of which have lots of info. For instance, Matt 5-7 is the entire Sermon on the Mount. I would not study the entire thing in just three days.:2cents:

Archived