Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bible Studying?

DaRock

I have decided that I want to read the Bible, but want to have a bit of explanation for the passages I'm reading. Does anyone know the best way to do this? I can google Bible Study, but am worried that it may be misrepresented, also, choosing the best one. Is there a different version of the Bible that is easier to understand? I'm sure they make Bible study books, I think, that have quizzes, daily tasks, etc. Are they good? I just basically want to read the Bible and understand what I am reading.

I have decided that I want to read the Bible, but want to have a bit of explanation for the passages I'm reading. Does anyone know the best way to do this? I can google Bible Study, but am worried that it may be misrepresented, also, choosing the best one. Is there a different version of the Bible that is easier to understand? I'm sure they make Bible study books, I think, that have quizzes, daily tasks, etc. Are they good? I just basically want to read the Bible and understand what I am reading.

http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/easy_find/910996905?event=HPT&category=Bible%20Studies%20&%20Curriculum&N=1112231&Ne=1000000&Nso=1Ν=product%2Eendeca%5Frollup&Ns=product%2Enumber%5Fsold

biblegateway.com is also a good free resource

There are several translations of the bible that are very easy to read.

I suggest the New International Version or the English Standard Version.

Also, I would not suggest that you just read through the bible from front to back. Too many people get stuck and give up in parts of the Old Testament. I would suggest you start with the Gospel of John in the New Testament.

I would also suggest using John MacArthur's study series with your reading of John.

http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product?item_no=50873X&event=CF

Are you a Christian?

Depends on the level of study you are wanting to engage in.

If you're looking to just read through the bible, and have a few notes available for passages whose meaning is not readily discernible, try a study bible. In prophet's link, I'd probably go for an ESV study bible -- but it all depends on what you're looking for. Probably want to actually go to a book store and get it in your hands rather than just ordering it over the internet.

If you're looking for deeper study options, there are a ton of ways to go, and it just depends on your approach. There are tons of books that tackle a study of the Bible by focusing specifically book by book, or going perhaps topic by topic. These can vary from fairly light literature to very academic, heavy stuff. Just depends on what you're after.

Oh, and this may be a dumb question, but we have just become mebers of a Methodist Church here. We are starting a new members class and a bible study soon. Is there any particular study bible that fits a Methodist bible study more than others, or are they all just a matter of preference?

sorry for my ignorance!

just remember, that there are different kinds of bibles some that try thier best translating what the greek was and some that just take the passage and capture the idea of what was trying to be said. For instance

King James does its best trying to word for word translate what individual words would mean today

The NIV takes the passage and the jist or idea of it and writes it into todays wording

Bible Study...I like the New Revised Standard translation (NRSV) it is a good balance of the literal translation and the sense based translation that exists within every translation. You can find the Harper Collins New Revised Standard Study Bible which is a good tool for studying the Bible in that the study notes try to focus on the way the text is constructed and translated and tries to avoid as much as is possible the interpretation and application of the texts.

Translation= what does the text say?

Interpretation= what does the text mean?

Application= what does the text imply in its living out?

I believe that what I want in a Bible is one that leans heavier on the translation as it is in the Interpertation and Application where you find the divisions occuring, and in Bible study what you are really after is a study of the Bible an not the study of Interpretations and Applications of the texts through various traditions.

___

*disclaimer: To some extent EVERY translation is an interpretation, the difference is how much the translators have allowed their own tradition's interpreation to influence their translations.

___

Now, one thing to keep in mind, when the Biblical texts were written they were NEVER intended for what we know as "private" Bible study, they were instead written to communties to be read in community so that questions, and confusions can be clarified and that teaching can take place. If you are able I would highly...strongly suggest studying the scriptures with a community of Christians that you trust and who deal honestly when wrestling with their beliefs in contrast to scripture.

Oh, and this may be a dumb question, but we have just become mebers of a Methodist Church here. We are starting a new members class and a bible study soon. Is there any particular study bible that fits a Methodist bible study more than others, or are they all just a matter of preference?

sorry for my ignorance!

New Revised Standard translation, that is what you will normally find in the pews of most UMC churches.

There is also the Wesley Study Bible

http://www.cokesbury.com/forms/ProductDetail.aspx?pid=723919

BTW, I'm a UMC pastor. ;)

New Revised Standard translation, that is what you will normally find in the pews of most UMC churches.

There is also the Wesley Study Bible

http://www.cokesbury.com/forms/ProductDetail.aspx?pid=723919

BTW, I'm a UMC pastor. ;)

awesome! It's a little ironic too. I'm not sure if you realized it, but we joined our new church shortly after I receieved a very nice IM from you regarding my Mom. Isnt it strange that despite my being raised roman catholic, and having spent significant time in a lutherin congregation, that we turned to a church that you represent?

Thanks for the tip! I may be asking you some more questions in the future, if thats OK? We really love the new church!

King James does its best trying to word for word translate what individual words would mean today

I honor the significance of the King James translation, but there is one thing to keep in mind when reading it: it uses language that is 400 years old as such what you end up with is trying to translate the translation from Greek/Hebrew to Elizabethan English to Modern English, and yes there are serious translation difficulties that are at stake. Also the translators of the KJV worked with about 20 Greek and Hebrew manuscripts whereas today the translators often have over 200 Greek and Hebrew manuscripts to work with many of which predate anything used by the KJV translators. This is not to slight the KJV translators as they did the best they could with what they have, its just that we have so much more to work with that are even closer to the original texts.

awesome! It's a little ironic too. I'm not sure if you realized it, but we joined our new church shortly after I receieved a very nice IM from you regarding my Mom. Isnt it strange that despite my being raised roman catholic, and having spent significant time in a lutherin congregation, that we turned to a church that you represent?

Thanks for the tip! I may be asking you some more questions in the future, if thats OK? We really love the new church!

That's awesome! Feel free to ask any questions that you may have...BTW which church in Louisville?

just remember, that there are different kinds of bibles some that try thier best translating what the greek was and some that just take the passage and capture the idea of what was trying to be said. For instance

The NIV takes the passage and the jist or idea of it and writes it into todays wording

Sort of. The NIV is what's called a "thought for thought" translation since Hebrew and Greek don't translate directly into English.

For those looking for an ESV bible, here is a good one that I highly recommend.

http://www.ligonier.org/publishing_studybible.php

I'm at Covenent UMC in LaGrange. Pastor is Owen Doyle. I noticed he Bluegrass reference in your avatar. Are you nearby too?

what a small world!

I'm south of Lexington, in Stanford Kentucky. We are in the Lexington District; New Beginnings UMC.

Owen graduated from the same seminary that I now attend!

Awesome! We're gonna have to get together sometime.

Ah, the versions are so confusing. I grew up a Methodist, had just found a great Methodist church that I wanted to keep attending and do Bible study there, but now am moving to different area. I am looking to be able to read the Bible and understand what I am reading on each page, maybe in each verse, have a study guide to go along and help me understand it. I may just end up waiting until I find a new church and study there or try a christian store around and pay for a book in hand. I have a Bible at home, I will have to look at which version it is. I will check to see if I have the New International Version, English, American Standard or NRSV? Awesome SS, good that we can both get answers.

Ah, the versions are so confusing.

Keep in mind that most modern translations (after 1950's) are all pretty good; NIV, New Living Translation, NRSV, ESV, these are each very well researched by teams of translators and its not just one team for the whole Bible. For the New Living Translation each book of the Bible had three main translators after they finished their initial work their translation was then surveyed by other translators before it was approved.

What you want to keep away from when it comes to actual Bible study are the paraphrases, these are not translations but someone's rewording into their own thoughts, and while not entirely wrong it is like the old experiement where you photocopy a photocopy, the result is never as good as the original. Popular paraphrases include: The Message, The Living Bible (not to be confused with the New Living Translation), and The Good News Bible.

BTW, total name drop. I actually took my Joshua exegesis class (study of the book of Joshua) from Dr. Lawson Stone who was on the Judges translation team for the New Living Translation. I believe one other professor at my seminary worked on it as well, Dr. Bill Arnold I believe, though I've never had class with him.

Wow, the is the name drop of all name drops! That is some good info., tho'. I definitely do not want someone paraphrasing what they think something means and putting it down. Def. good to know.

I'll check out the e-sword link and the links in the first response, plus I think the main thing I need to understand is the total difference in each version, which again, those links will help. Then, actually maybe reading it to see if I can understand it w/o a guide?

Sort of. The NIV is what's called a "thought for thought" translation since Hebrew and Greek don't translate directly into English.

For those looking for an ESV bible, here is a good one that I highly recommend.

http://www.ligonier.org/publishing_studybible.php

Best. Study Bible. Ever.

The new ESV Study Bible is on my radar too. Looks awesome and the online features are phenomenal.

Wow, the is the name drop of all name drops!

Tell me about it, he's also one of the coolest profs on campus, really into western 6 shooters etc and totally approachable. "So Lawson, what did you work on this summer?"...."Meh nuthin' much...just the Bible." ;)

That is some good info., tho'. I definitely do not want someone paraphrasing what they think something means and putting it down. Def. good to know.

IMO paraphrases are fine as long as they are used for devotional reading and not study, they should always be used as a "secondary" source simply because the point of study is to find out what the text says which is more difficult with the 2 degrees of separation that occurs in a paraphrase.

Then, actually maybe reading it to see if I can understand it w/o a guide?

Remember, the scripture was never intended to be read solo, it was always read in community, with other people to help us understand more clearly when we have questions and are confused. Study guides are good but if the guide comes from a tradition that is different than your own you probably won't find it as helpful as one that more closely matches your tradition.

Archived