Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is This The Blowout Game?

bulldog

Media critics have been waiting for the Redskins to separate from an otherwise average team on the schedule and dominate for 60 minutes.

While the close games against the Rams and Browns might point to a lower scoring contest with the Lions covering the point spread, I wonder if in fact this is the week the Redskins do close the door.....................

Why?

1. Carries by Clinton Portis. Portis has a hip/flexor and has not been practicing. Obviously the Redskins are going to need #26 healthy for the second half of the season to be a contender. Jim Zorn indicated in his news conference that the team 'may have to give Portis some relief'. With Ladell Betts out of action and Shaun Alexander signed less than a week ago, what could that 'relief' be? It could in fact signal that Zorn is going to look to attack the Lions backfield and try to get on top early to avoid the type of fourth quarter ball control that has had Portis eating carries.

2. Opportunity to work on what needs work. The Redskins don't need to refine their defensive approach or improve in the run game. The team needs to be more productive on the scoreboard. With important games upcoming against the Giants, Steelers and Cowboys Zorn has to get Campbell and the passing game back on the trajectory it appeared to be on after the Saints, Cardinals and Cowboys games where Campbell closed the games out with his arm.

3. The Redskins had their 3 turnover nightmare against the Rams. What they have not had is the game where the Washington defense was able to take multiple turnovers and directly translate them into points. The Redskins defense laid wood on the Browns offensive skill players and that approach should lead to fumbles and tipped balls that end up as interceptions most weeks in the NFL.

I agree with you. Something is telling me that this is going to be the big blowout all us Skins fans are waiting for. I'm not saying that the Lions are a pushover, so if any trolls are out there... dont take this the wrong way, what i am saying is that the Redskins are due to separate themselves from the "mediocre" teams in the NFL. If they want to make a statement, this is the time to do it, and make the offense really click. For some reason we have been able to control the game when it comes to the Lions... and i do feel that this is not gonna be any different.

Seriously, Bulldog, have you ever thought about making a professional blog?

Oh please, let's not give him a bigger head than he already has :silly: I think that the Skins find a way to make easy games the tough ones. I hope that this week will be a blow out. I don't think that it will be though especially if the Skins change the formula that has been working for them. And, I wouldn't trust Alexander to carry the rock 20 times or more at this point. He's too rusty and needs to be brought along slowly. His vision sucks to boot right now as was evident last Sunday.

Houston beat the Lions by 7 last week after being up by a lot more than that. How do you rate the Redskins skill players and overall team vs. the Texans?

you dont because that has nothing to do with it. it depends on the gameplan, does zorn take advantage of a terrible pass defense or does he want ball control. he needs to see wht campbell can do without a running game, or one not as dominant as weve had one now. this is the game where he needs to prove he can do it by himself with all the tools he has around him.

Houston beat the Lions by 7 last week after being up by a lot more than that. How do you rate the Redskins skill players and overall team vs. the Texans?

I doesn't matter how you rate our team vs the Texans. It matters how our team plays against the lions. it matters how we play against lesser opponents. Historically, and so far this year we play down to opponents. i don't expect us to win by any more than 10

I doesn't matter how you rate our team vs the Texans. It matters how our team plays against the lions. it matters how we play against lesser opponents. Historically, and so far this year we play down to opponents. i don't expect us to win by any more than 10[/color]

it matters to the degree that the weaknesses in pass defense that the Texans exploited are exactly the ones that will stand out to Zorn.

the Lions are going to stack 8 men in the box to stop Portis or the Redskins will bludgeon them to death, and their backs and backers are not up to the challenge vs. Moss, Randle El and Cooley.

it matters to the degree that the weaknesses in pass defense that the Texans exploited are exactly the ones that will stand out to Zorn.

the Lions are going to stack 8 men in the box to stop Portis or the Redskins will bludgeon them to death, and their backs and backers are not up to the challenge vs. Moss, Randle El and Cooley.

Kind of like the Rams secondary was their weak point? We didn't do too well attacking them through the air. I know turnovers killed us, but still. This team is prone to playing down to competition and losing to teams we should beat. I'll be happy with just a win.

you guys are overlooking the fact the Rams were motivated by the departure of Linehan. this team basically laid down for 4 weeks TO GET HIM FIRED.

Bulger, Jackson, Torry Holt. Detroit doesn't have the base of talent the Rams do. And more importantly they aren't being consistently lead.

There have been threads earlier this week comparing this year to the 2000 team, which was the last Skins team to start 5-2. That team was winning squeaker games but blew out a struggling Jaguars team on the road 35-16 to go to 6-2. Just so long as we don't repeat what the 2000 team did after that :(

Every one I talk to about football this week I ask "Please tell me there's no way we lose to the Lions this week?" I'll take a win any way we can get it, but I sure hope for a game where we can breathe easy late, at least in the 4th quarter. Even Czaban, who has been saying he doesn't care how we've been winning, says he'll be pissed if we don't win by more than a TD!

And great post as always Bulldog......still one of the most talented writers on this forum.

Some of you guys amaze me. Blowout? We were supposed to blow out St. Louis as well.

And Colt having 3 TDs? Huh? Seriously?

I couldnt agree more. The Skins arent going to blow anyone out, so dont get your hopes up. We will play just better than the Lions, but get the much deserved win. The Lions have nothing to lose.

With that though, I feel good about the possibility of winning by 10 points with our typical good play late in the game.

Archived