Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Lions next: Break out game for the young receivers??

SkinsAllDay34

Ok this is a feeling everyone has been getting every week it seems..."I have a feeling Thomas is going to break out this week?" It seems it is said against every team. I got that feeling against Arizona and Philly. (Thomas actually had 2 big catches in that game). But this week has me more optimistic than all the rest.

The Lions are next and they have by far the worst secondary I have ever seen. Along with horrible rush defense (CP big day?? You betcha). Devin Thomas is basically coming back to his hometown and Kelly is going to probably play.

I really think both might have good games and this is the part of the season where both of them need to step up, even Fred Davis, because we need all the weapons we can get down the stretch run.

What do you all think...??

Why do we even want to put the ball in the air against there crappy run defense?

There are any number of valid reasons.

1) So that Campbell has experience doing so if we need to against teams with better run defenses. I don't think we're going to run all over Philly again.

2) To put less wear and tear on Portis.

3) To break games open. It's hard on a defense to play ball-control games. Sure, we chew up clock with Portis gaining almost 200 yards, but we never really pull away from the opponent. One fumble or blown assignment and they're right back in the game.

Devin was matched up in man-to-man coverage several times in passing situations this week, and we never even feigned looking at him on a deep pattern. When Coach Zorn allows a guy like James Thrash to run futile deep patterns with zero separation, and even gives preferential looks to Rock or Fred Davis split wide... it just makes you wonder when Devin Thomas is ever going to get a look at a deep ball.

Philly throws deep to their rookie wideout (Jackson) 3-4 times a game, not to mention utilizing him as a runner and return man... while Thomas can't even get a sniff from our staff, despite ZERO production from Thrash at WR, or any of our returners. It's downright disheartening.

Devin was matched up in man-to-man coverage several times in passing situations this week, and we never even feigned looking at him on a deep pattern. When Coach Zorn allows a guy like James Thrash to run futile deep patterns with zero separation, and even gives preferential looks to Rock or Fred Davis split wide... it just makes you wonder when Devin Thomas is ever going to get a look at a deep ball.

Philly throws deep to their rookie wideout (Jackson) 3-4 times a game, not to mention utilizing him as a runner and return man... while Thomas can't even get a sniff from our staff, despite ZERO production from Thrash at WR, or any of our returners. It's downright disheartening.

i made a point of watching him when he was on the field, and they were a number of times, i'd say at least 3 or 4 that he was either pretty open or very open. JC didn't even look his way. I would love to see us try and get him involved in the redzone. At least give him a shot.

To give film of our (hopefully) successful air attack to the Steelers so they don't stack 8 in the box against Portis...
Let them stack 8 in the box. Then we hack at them through the air...Moss, Cooley, Randle El, maybe even a little Thomas and Kelly, then run. Once their safeties start edging towards the line, go over the top.

I understand that Polamalu is a fantastic safety, so it will not be as easy as I said, but stacking 8 in the box, sure makes it a ton easier on the passing game.

I think it will be another run, run run type of day. I see no reason why the Redskins would stop running the ball against a really bad team who is unlikely to score much points. We really dont like the whole putting a team away thing, and I dont think its going to start this week.

Well I know that Malcolm was healthy enough to play, but was inactive because of other needs. Since it looks like Springs will still be out does that make him the odd man out again. I would like to see Thomas have a break out game. But if we have to "suffer" thru another 150+ day from Portis. I guess thats ok too lol.

i think we will be lucky to get three catches from our three rookies this week. They dont even bother to cover Thomas deep anymore; I am not sure they ever have. Kelly of course will probably not be able to go no matter what we hear. And please, no more TE reverses. If these guys dont know the playbook, cant we teach them each like 5 plays? Call that play, get them out. Sadly, I think we expect the full playbook.

Archived