Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Skins Defensive Backs Discussion

RandyHolt

Skins fans, we have lots of changes and injuries to our defensive backfield. I think its worthy of discussion. Reed Doughty is suddenly gone for the season; I didnt expect that one. Spring is doubtful or more likely out, Horton and Smoot are listed as questionable. I assume that the later two will play, but I think its safe to say they wont be 100%.

Mike Green (wrong one, Caps fans) a depth safety has been added. Kareem Moore seems poised to step up and take on a much larger role. But he is young and prone to mistakes; he took a wrong route on a blitz on the backbreaker deep pass last week. Torrence is still finding his place in the league. Landry has offered to play some strong safety but coaches seem hesitant to make any changes there. Tryon seems likely to see some action, but the Browns depth at WR doesnt seem deep enough to press him into action very often.

I would say that we are going to have to get pressure from our front four to keep Anderson under pressure, but havent had much pressure this year, and our D has done ok. I would love to see Blache play tight man on Stallworth and Edwards with deep help from 30, but we know he will change things up early and often.

I am curious what other skins fans think about our secondary and our approach against the suddenly dangerous Cleveland Browns.

Donte Stallworth is coming back from an injury, and I am hoping they are rushing him back before their season completely falls apart. I expect help over the top on Edwards, leaving Smoot one on one with Donte.

Since it seems WR's are tied to DB's for this discussion, IMO drafting WR's and a TE is not why we are in this situation. The pick we screwed up on is taking the dimunitive Tryon in an era when WR's are bigger than ever.

Not having Springs is what will cause the most problems for the Skins this Sunday. Springs is at his best vs. bigger WRs like T.O. and maybe a bit of a liability vs. the quicker, more diminutive guys like Holt.

Springs is the ideal CB to cover Braylon and frustrate him but now it appears as if that job will fall to Rogers. I actually have no problem with that. I think Rogers has played well this year and will be up to the challenge. However, the problems lie in the other matchups...

An 80-90% Smoot vs. Stallworth is very worrysome as is anytime this team needs to rely on Torrence and Tryon to hold up their ends of the bargain against anyone for the better part of a game. I don't mind when they come in during nickel and dime packages, but to be relied upon to spell Smoot as the second and third CBs vs. Stallworth, Steptoe and Cribbs is a matchup the Browns should be looking to exploit. It also appears as though Winslow will be playing and that complicates matters further because Horton is slowed by injuries as well, putting even more pressure on Landry to help out over the top as well as keeping an eye on the underneath routes.

All of this is compounded by the fact that our front four have not been able to get consistent pressure on the QB. DA is a QB that gets rattled easy when pressured but can absolutely kill you if he has time and confidence that he wont get hit. If the plan is to Blitz, then the health of Smoot and the inexperience of Torrence and Tryon could easily get exposed for big plays.

Now here is where the Skins have a decided advantage...the Skins D-line may not get the best pressure all the time, but this D-line holds the point of attack as well as anyone in the league. This effectively shuts down the run game and makes teams one-dimensional. If the Skins can do a good job of shutting down Lewis and confusing DA on passing downs, then turnover opportunities will arise.

The guy above me pretty much summed it all up. I am not worried about having Rogers in Edwards. I would go as far to say put Torrence on Stallworth being that Torrence is the fastest of our DB's. Also with Landry rolled to Torrences side for the majority of the game...

I'm not a fan of Torrence --because I stll have doubts on the quality of his coverage. However, I do feel his strengths (straight-line speed, etc) match up well with Stallworth, because of Stallworth's dependence on using straight-line speed while running his routes. Stallworth's quad injuries make him less 'elusive' , so maybe Torrence might just match up better against Stallworth than Smoot would at 80%.

My sense is the Skins have a tough task ahead trying to neutralize the Browns aerial attack. Rogers will have a major test against Edwards, who normally would have been better covered by Springs. As for whoever covers Stallworth, it remains to be seen how that's going to turn out. I'd also note that Heiden is a good TE, so the Browns don't lose that much if Winslow has to sit out. Also, Jamal Lewis and the Browns offensive line represent a credible running attack, so the Skins can't shift too many folks into the secondary to try shutting down the Browns' receivers.

My biggest concern is whether our defensive line can mount a pass rush and create pressure against Anderson. If we can't, Anderson will be able to check down to his 3rd and 4th option before choosing his target. We don't want the Browns effectively using their option at #3 WR (either Steptoe and Cribbs) to get nice matchups against Torrence and Tryon. That's because I don't sense that Tryon is ready for prime-time yet. As for Torrence, I've seen how he can get wrong-footed by a WR, and I'd hate to see him matched up against someone with a "shake-n-bake" elusive style like Cribbs has.

This is definitely a game where 5 DB's will be on the field the majority of the time. As long as London and Marcus/Rocky plus the D-line can contain the run, I really do feel confident that we can slow their offense, which, I think everyone here would agree it's not one of the "explosive" ones...As far as our offense, I am a bit worried just as to how we will be able to run the ball. I like the approach we took against Jacksonville in '06....Start the game off by running alot of stretch (east-west) plays and tire out Clevelands massive DT and DE by making them run sideline to sideline. Then start running up the gut. Everything else will take care of itself.

This is a discussion we are already have in this thread: http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?t=266033

The OP was upset we had injuries at the Defensive Back position, yet we drafted Offense with out three top picks...

Ironically, we didn't have those injuries at the time. We have a pretty young secondary, so I can understand it. Rogers and Smoot are both in their primes, and Landry and Doughty are both young. Torrence and Tyron are the two guys that are development projects.

On the other hand, our receiving corps was pretty short. Randel El is inconsistent and will probably be released for salary cap considerations.

How does Stallworth compare as a no 2 to Patrick Crayton. Because Torrence must've done pretty well against him in Dallas. And there's the fact he's been the nickel back plenty of times. But I've rarely heard his name this season.

I remember that INT, where the ball bounced off of Torrence's helmet, he was on that receiver like glue.

I think Edwards on Rogers will be interesting and Rogers is a physical corner, maybe not so much as Springs but Rogers is really showing why he was drafted in the top 10 finally . If Rogers can live with Edwards then Smoot/Torrence seems less worysome with Stallworth if Landry can give some help over the top .

I suspect we will go with our 3 safety COBRA package quite a bit today. Moore seems to be under the radar, but I see him getting lots of action today. Maybe he will be assigned to cover Winslow, another piece in the passing attack. I hope Stallworth is still hampered by his injury, maybe that will even the injuries out a little bit. I hate to think it but I think we are going to be seeing Mike Green today as well. We are hurting big time and this guy knows what Blache does so I think its likely we seem him as well.

Another guy that is a big player in our pass defense is Fletcher. This guy is just amazing at everything he does and I predict he gets an INT today. It seems we may have turned a corner on getting INTs this year. No sacks in sight though, and one day that is going to bite us in the tail.

Agreed a good offense is a good defense, but then we are talking a high scoring affair. We are overdue for a breakout game. Skins 37-28!

I just watched NFL playbook and they basically threw in the towel on stopping the browns passing game, quickly saying the best thing the skins can do is run the ball. No X's and O's on how to stop their attack at all. No discussion of our hurting secondary. It may not be pretty. But the run can only take us so far, Jason will have to exploit the browns when stacked to stop Portis.

Archived