Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gallup Poll Obama 49 McCain 47

aREDSKIN

What does "traditional likely" mean?

Probably that Gallup uses a poll that has historically or traditionally measures "likely" voters and not just registered voters. Likely voters being those that are predisposed to actually vote and not just those that are registered to vote.

"For those of you who are feeling giddy or ****y and think this is all set, I just [have] two words for you: New Hampshire," the Democratic presidential nominee said during a fundraiser breakfast in New York. "You know I've been in these positions before where we were favored and the press starts getting carried away and we end up getting spanked. And so that's another good lesson that Hillary Clinton taught me."

this is from Barack to ES posters I believe.

What does "traditional likely" mean?

The other definitions are a lot of fun but this is the one that Gallup uses:

The "traditional" likely voter model, which Gallup has employed for past elections, factors in prior voting behavior as well as current voting intention. This has generally shown a closer contest, reflecting the fact that Republicans have typically been more likely to vote than Democrats in previous elections.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/111211/Gallup-Daily-Obama-49-McCain-43.aspx

Gallup is presenting two likely voter estimates to see how preferences might vary under different turnout scenarios. The "expanded" model determines likely voters based only on current voting intentions. This estimate would take into account higher turnout among groups of voters traditionally less likely to vote, such as young adults and minorities. That model has generally produced results that closely match the registered voter figures, but with a lower undecided percentage, and show Obama up by six percentage points today, 51% to 45%.

The "traditional" likely voter model, which Gallup has employed for past elections, factors in prior voting behavior as well as current voting intention. This has generally shown a closer contest, reflecting the fact that Republicans have typically been more likely to vote than Democrats in previous elections. Today's results show Obama with a two-point advantage over McCain using this likely voter model, 49% to 47%, this is within the poll's margin of error. -- Frank Newport

"For those of you who are feeling giddy or ****y and think this is all set, I just [have] two words for you: New Hampshire," the Democratic presidential nominee said during a fundraiser breakfast in New York. "You know I've been in these positions before where we were favored and the press starts getting carried away and we end up getting spanked. And so that's another good lesson that Hillary Clinton taught me."

this is from Barack to ES posters I believe.

He's telling us to make sure we vote. I think the NH polls had Barack's percentage correctly just not Hillary. If Barack is over 50 then it doesn't matter since he wins. According to Chuck Todd.

Archived