Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Spring Game, Anyone?

RedskinsSuperBowl21

Spring Game, Anyone?

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla.--One interesting development today at the owners' meeting was a discussion among the owners about the possibility of each team playing an annual spring exhibition game.

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said the idea was presented by multiple teams.

The proposal apparently is in its formative stages and is not close to being enacted. The owners probably will continue to discuss the idea in the future.

Goodell said the possibilities would include a team playing an intrasquad scrimmage, which would be similar to what college football teams do, or two different teams playing one another.

http://views.washingtonpost.com/theleague/nflnewsfeed/2008/10/spring-game-anyone.html

My take:

There is already a majority of owners,coaches,players and fans that believe the preseason is too long and a game in the spring is not much different.

A spring game would hardly be interesting because just about every NFL team sends a good amount of it players to go get scopes and treatments as soon as the season ends in order to jump start the healing process from a long season;that essentially takes away February and March.

April is draft month flooded with workouts and scouting trips leading up the the actual draft at the end of the month. That leaves us with May-June-July for a "Spring Game", but would you want an exhibition game at this point?

Rookies would be too new to expose them and it would be getting to close to training camp to risk getting any veterans injured.

What the hell is wrong with the NFL. Don't force feed us with more games. There's a reason the NFL is the most popular sport by far. There's only 16 games a year and if you're lucky 17-19 games.

What I'm trying to say is, we crave this game because we only get so many. I think Goodell needs to slow down a bit. When he was handed the commissioner's job, he kicked the door down and said there's a new sheriff in town and he hasn't stopped throwing his power around since. He's trying to implement too much too fast.

Spring game actually wouldn't be a bad idea. Rosters are pretty large at that point, your stars don't have to play, and you can get an in-game look at some of your young guys and free agents that you sign to beef up the roster.

It might be nice to have a spring game and take away a pre-season game as well.

College ball has spring games that generate TONS of interest. I don't see why these wouldn't do decently. Sell tickets for cheap, get people in to watch a little football with the young guns playing and maybe a few sprinkled vets in there.

I think they should take one star from each team and put them in a 30 man over the top rope battle royal. The order the players got eliminated would be the order teams drafted in. And who ever won the battle royal would get 2 first round picks, the 1st overall and some other pick in the first round.

I think they should take one star from each team and put them in a 30 man over the top rope battle royal. The order the players got eliminated would be the order teams drafted in. And who ever won the battle royal would get 2 first round picks, the 1st overall and some other pick in the first round.

I would take Andre Carter all the way.

I don't like the idea, I would support 2 more regular season games though, I think that an 18 game schedule would be better than the 16 week. Every game would still matter, and it would stretch the season two weeks longer, less of an offseason to wait through.

I often feel at game 10 or 11....there are only 5-6 more, and maybe 7-9 if we go all the way. I'd like to have a few more games then.

I don't like the idea, I would support 2 more regular season games though, I think that an 18 game schedule would be better than the 16 week. Every game would still matter, and it would stretch the season two weeks longer, less of an offseason to wait through.

I often feel at game 10 or 11....there are only 5-6 more, and maybe 7-9 if we go all the way. I'd like to have a few more games then.

16 games are hard on the body.. plus playoffs... if your team goes :laugh:

18 is too much, even though I enjoy them. These players have short careers, no need to make them shorter.

Archived