Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Former Ray Guy Award Winning Punters: Where are they now?

Zhouse

Has anyone read about him being hurt and that he has been hurt for awhile? Brooks even said that his confidence is an issue. IDK, but even though he is sucking right now, I hate to give up on him and his potential. But then again, look at Oakland with S. Janikowski. He sure never has lived up to his hype coming out of college.

This reminds me far too much of our situation with David Akers. We bailed on him early on and he went on to a Pro Bowl career with the damn Eagles.

That's different though, he is a place kicker and imo more valuable than the punter. Don't get me wrong but punting shouldn't be that hard when compared to kicking field goals. We rely on place kickers being able to kick field goals consistently from at least 45-50 yards, anything over 50 is understandable, as well as provide us with good kick-offs for field position.

Ideally, we should be relying on our place kicker more than our punter, because if the punter is on the field that much, our offense isn't looking so hot.

I looked up some info on the other punter named for a tryout.

Josh Miller

Titans -

signed Sept. 1, 2007

released Dec. 17, 2007

signed again May 23, 2008

released again Aug. 19, 2008

signed a third time Oct. 4, 2008

released a third tim Oct. 6, 2008

Anyone know why they can't make up their mind with this guy?

I looked up some info on the other punter named for a tryout.

Josh Miller

Titans -

signed Sept. 1, 2007

released Dec. 17, 2007

signed again May 23, 2008

released again Aug. 19, 2008

signed a third time Oct. 4, 2008

released a third tim Oct. 6, 2008

Anyone know why they can't make up their mind with this guy?

He and Vince Young kept getting into fights and Young became too emotional. So they had to let him go a few times. :silly:

Vinny gets paid to do what you just did. And this would have produced an obvious trend... too bad we couldn't use that pick on finding another lineman or CB

Yeah, because 6th round picks often contribute to teams. :rolleyes:

Granted, we've had some pretty decent luck with 6th round picks, but to say another guy would have been better at that point is all hindsight.

BTW, this argument about Ray Guy award winners shouldn't be an argument against drafting punters, since there is a good list of guys who are still punting in this league who were drafted:

2007 - Adam Podlesh, Daniel Sepulveda

2006 - Sam Koch

2005 - Dustin Colquitt

2004 - Andy Lee, Donnie Jones

2003 - Mike Scifres

2002 - Dave Zastudil

2001 - Nick Harris

2000 - Shane Lechler

A third of the punting jobs in the NFL were drafted in the past 8 years. That doesn't include Reggie Hodges, who was signed by the Jets after sitting for a couple of years. He was drafted in 2005.

Jason

Ya it really puzzles me.....how different is a NCAA ball to the NFL? Or maybe since NFL players are quicker and faster, a punter feels the pressure a lot quicker trying to get a punt off so he has to adjust his timing.

In the pros you punt for a living, and you have teammates who are playing football for a living.

Just a little more pressure at this level. :D

That's why you don't waste a pick on a punter Vinny.

So I am guessing you would rather waste it on a Heisman trophy winner??

Which BTW has almost as bad stats.

Since 1997 there are only 5 Heisman trophy winners still in the league. Now granted Tim Tebow is still in college, and will probally get drafted somewhere. That leaves C. Woodson, C. Palmer, M.Leinart, R. Bush and the infamous Ricky Williams.

All this goes to show is that the draft is not an exact science, weather they won awards, played Div 1, or were second teamers.

There are jewels and there are busts.

I was a big fan of Daniel Sepulveda coming here in the 07 draft. Having watched him play 3 of his 4 years at Baylor myself every Saturday and against the Redskins in preseason and booming a 61 yard punt, the guy is no bust. And that's why the Steelers are hanging on to him.

:applause::applause:

Brooks was not the best punter in college last year. But I am going by average distance how far they kicked the ball, I know I have heard it several times on here you can't go by that. Well Brooks had the 4th best avg last year, dont remember the guy in 1st but dont think he was an senior and in 2nd place is the undrafted guy that punts for Denver Brett something anyway I think he is in the top 10 this year in the league.

I know I shouldn't say this but have you seen Brooks run, that should tell us something about he being able to play the game of football. That is proabley the stupidest thing I have ever typed on here, what does running have to do with punting? I didnt see the last game, but saw him chasing Reggie Bush and he just looks so lame/weak running.

Archived