Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Former Ray Guy Award Winning Punters: Where are they now?

Zhouse

I posted this in one of the threads a while back but I wanted to bring it out now that we’re bringing in competition.

I did a little research on Punters that are former Ray Guy Award winner in college and how they performed in the NFL. So far from 2000 till 2007 there have been 7 winners according to Wiki.

Kevin Stemke 00

Travis Dorsch 01

Mark Mariscal 02

B.J. Sander 03

Daniel Sepulveda 04&06

Ryan Plackemeier 05

Durant Brooks 07

Out of those seven only one is currently a starting punter for a professional team this season....our own Durant Brooks and he may not have his job come Wednesday. (Daniel Sepulveda is with the Steelers but currently on IR for the second time).

Kevin Stemke: Former punter of the Rams and the Raiders

Travis Dorsch: Drafted by the Bengals (4th round) but never worked out. Was with the Packers and Minnesota for a bit. No longer in the NFL

Mark Mariscal: Can't find anything on this guy.

B.J. Sander: Originally drafted by the Packers. Currently a FA

Ryan Plackemeier: Drafter by the Seahawks. Currently a FA after being released Sept. 2008.

I guess being a Ray Guy award winner doesn't mean much ones you get to the NFL.

I assumed transitioning from College to the Pros for a kicker or a punter will be less difficult than other positions. But maybe there’s more to it than I thought. I still like Brooks and hope he works out for us.

he has been doing a pretty decent job so far.... its not his fault that our special teams coverage is horrible

I agree I like the guy. But he just needs to deliver on consistent basis. If he didn't shank one of his punts on Sunday, I don't think we would be talking about him now

I think we all knew that Brooks was signed for 3 reasons. (1)Frost never established himself as reliable, (2)Brooks was cheap, and (3) it was a low risk move for a rebuilding team.

Now that the Skins realize that (3) is out the window, they pretty much have no choice but to entertain new punters. I hope he improves.

It is just gonna break my ass if we see Brooks kickin up a storm five years from now with someone else. I have no clue why evaluating kickers seems to be so difficult. It doesn't appear that having the physical tools to do the job is even close to the top of the list in skills required. Mental toughness/ preparedness maybe? And how the hell would you test for that?

Interesting post, Zhouse. I thought it would be interesting to go further back than 2000, but it looks like the first Ray Guy award was made in 2000.

You wouldn't think ID'ing a good pro punter based on college performance would be such a crap-shoot, but apparently it is. Very surprising to me...

I posted this in one of the threads a while back but I wanted to bring it out now that we’re bringing in competition.

I did a little research on Punters that are former Ray Guy Award winner in college and how they performed in the NFL. So far from 2000 till 2007 there have been 7 winners according to Wiki.

Kevin Stemke 00

Travis Dorsch 01

Mark Mariscal 02

B.J. Sander 03

Daniel Sepulveda 04&06

Ryan Plackemeier 05

Durant Brooks 07

Out of those seven only one is currently a starting punter for a professional team this season....our own Durant Brooks and he may not have his job come Wednesday. (Daniel Sepulveda is with the Steelers but currently on IR for the second time).

Kevin Stemke: Former punter of the Rams and the Raiders

Travis Dorsch: Drafted by the Bengals (4th round) but never worked out. Was with the Packers and Minnesota for a bit. No longer in the NFL

Mark Mariscal: Can't find anything on this guy.

B.J. Sander: Originally drafted by the Packers. Currently a FA

Ryan Plackemeier: Drafter by the Seahawks. Currently a FA after being released Sept. 2008.

I guess being a Ray Guy award winner doesn't mean much ones you get to the NFL.

I assumed transitioning from College to the Pros for a kicker or a punter will be less difficult than other positions. But maybe there’s more to it than I thought. I still like Brooks and hope he works out for us.

Good Info. I was high on Brooks because of the monster leg in college. Ray Guy award winner doesnt mean to much obviously. I thought this kid did a decent job in the preseason. He could mature into a decent punter but we cant afford these type of mistakes.

You wouldn't think ID'ing a good pro punter based on college performance would be such a crap-shoot, but apparently it is. Very surprising to me...

Ya it really puzzles me.....how different is a NCAA ball to the NFL? Or maybe since NFL players are quicker and faster, a punter feels the pressure a lot quicker trying to get a punt off so he has to adjust his timing.

Thanks Zhouse. Good research.

In the world of anonymity that being a punter brings, it looks like winning the Ray Guy award means a player is destined to just about drop off the planet.

Ya no kidding. 7 guys win it and all 7 of them are not punting right now....

Or maybe since NFL players are quicker and faster, a punter feels the pressure a lot quicker trying to get a punt off so he has to adjust his timing.

Others have thrown this out as a possible reason, but I am sure that NFL scouts put the stopwatch to these guys in college to make sure they get the ball off quick enough for the pros. But hey, they may be hurrying their kicks anyway in the face of a faster rush. :whoknows:

The interesting thing about the NFL "having faster rushers" is that there are way more blocked punts in college. I know there are way more games each saturday also, but there are college teams that can consistantly block several each year. Maybe he's trying to hard to directional kick, or hit a spot instead of just kicking the thing high and hard.

Why can't we find somebody "outside the box" like the Iggles did with Sav Rocca. Go to the AFL and get one these strong legged aussie's out here for a tryout. Some of the kicks those guys have are just insane.

Take for instance this guy kicking the ball 90 meters. 90 meters = 98.4251969 yards for you math wizards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z41y00Hd7yE

Archived